Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How would you rate Marc Newson's Design, 5 being the highest?
5 7513.11%
4 19033.22%
3 14325.00%
2 9115.91%
1 7312.76%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OFFICIAL K-01 Styling Poll

The goal of this thread is to provide feedback about the K-01 Marc Newson design DIRECTLY TO PENTAX. Please be honest in your evaluation of the K-01's design based on the official pictures you saw here.

-How would you rate the look overall?
-Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?

The poll will open once at 7am EST on 2/2.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Both camera and lens look really cool, both separate and together. I rated it 4. It's not pretty, but cool! I like it, especially the yellow one. But I wouldn't buy one since it lacks a viewfinder. Features are more important than looks.

And filter diameter 27mm??? Are there even such filters to buy? But I guess few people would use filters with it, so it's probably not much of a problem.
02-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Design critics

Now, with the hi res pictures being out, I've a dedicated opinion now.

1. Overall mediocre, maybe just above average (3/5). Acceptable but I don't like it like I should. Not what I would have expected from a designer of this class.

2. Marc Newson's design decisions which I personally criticize:

- Violates form follows function as there is no VF but a VF hub. The flash is no excuse as it can and then should recess. Only Pentax knows if this was part of the briefing, i.e., if they want to reuse the body with an EVF model. For Marc, I can only hope it was -- however, for an EVF body, the lcd screen sits too high on the rear.

- There would have been space for recessed knobs too (like the rear dial), making the camera lower. It would have been important to do w/o an EVF -- but no ...

- The camera looks too boxy, emphasizing its enormous (for a mirrorless) depth when looking from above or from an angle. My silver K-5 does a very good job to make it look slim when looked at from above, using angled surfaces in the silver part on top. Marc decided to emphasize the K-01's weakness, which seems to hint at a bad briefing ...

- The column under the mode dial is ugly, compressed and looking like an anomaly or an ulcer. Even emphasized by all but the all black color scheme.

3. Overall, I think that the black color scheme (with the silver hot shoe bulge) looks better than the other two.

4. On the positive side of things, the design looks fresh and relatively clean.

Ideas: A cleaner color scheme (with less contrast elements) would certainly serve it well, like the black color scheme but with the thin top and bottom aluminium shells taken from the silver one (i.e., with an all silver top and bottom, the mode dial column and mount box remaining black). And an "everything black" model for all who like the camera but don't like the design.

Of course, it's all a matter of personal taste. This was mine But I grew up in an achieved architect's family...

Other points:

5. Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
-> No I like the original DA 40 Ltd would fit it better. "Too flat nose" an effect.

6. Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it?
-> It depends on how well the new Prime M-based contrast AF will work. There are better CDAF algorithms out there and Pentax has to hire one of those bright guys knowing how it is done in the best industrial machines.

7. In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features?
-> Very important
An outstanding design sells an otherwise lame product. I know what I am speaking about, I've seen it happen from a vendor's perspective. Of course, design then has to go deeper than skin. The K-01 design however does not deliver on this promise. But it isn't ugly enough either to make people stay away.

8. How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
-> Shocked. A mirrorless this large w/o EVF is ... ridiculous. Pentax better has a story line accompanying it telling that this body is meant to incorporate an EVF and a corresponding product is further down the road.

Last edited by falconeye; 02-02-2012 at 06:13 AM.
02-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Clean, nice colors on the Silver & Black models, has SR and K-Mount, it's not terrible. But the comments from the two guys from The Camera Store sort of say it all - designed by someone who isn't a camera person.

Boring.
Yes, but it's unusable on other Pentax Cameras which undercuts the whole ALL K-Mount lenses selling point in an odd way.
-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
Nope.
-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
Features rule - as I said when it was announced that they had a "designer" working on it - Function HAS to trump form or its a waste - this is a waste in many regards.
-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
That its ugly and bulky.

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-02-2012 at 06:15 AM.
02-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #5

rated 3. i would rate a 4 if there was a full black version, and the silver was all silver, nobs and dials, bar the grip of course, the alternate colour on the flash and mount housing and dials just doesn't agree with me.

i rate the k5 a 5/5 for design.

this i rate a 4, but minus 1 for the silver / black issue.

Falk has the better words- rereading what he has said, the bump, is being pointed out by the alternate colour and that is what i don't like, like a tatoo of an arrow pointing to a third nipple. It ain't right in my mind no matter how long i look at it.

yes, but i prefer the look of the old kit lens on the body.

no, I have a k5 and that is all i need. I will keep an eye on the successor of this as a backup body though.

somewhat important

They should react well in a line up in between the Q and the K5 with the 645D on the end.
On it's own next to a Sony Nex or Fuji. I think it'll be overshadowed by the Fuji design along with the Nex. That thing ooooooozes awesome by the bucket load.

Last edited by daniel deus; 02-02-2012 at 06:00 AM.
02-02-2012, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #6

OK

the styling is crap, it looks like a toy, I have been using pentax camera for a long time, my fist MX was purchased from a long summer of working on building sites as a labourer, this was folloed by an LX in art school and then an ist D these have been followed by K20 K10 and K7

I was going to skip the K5 and see what was coming next, I guess i will be waiting for the K2 or will it be KII

sorry but you lost me pentax
02-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Overall I think it may be among the ugliest new APS-C cameras on the market. It looks like someone tried to marry the design of a K-r with a GXR and the result is something boxy, thick and not very compact all at. According the the video on one of the other threads when next to the K-5, looks about 90% the same size as the K-5. Why bother? (Size reference based off of photos found here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/02/Pentax_K-01_announcement )

Sure, but at almost (not that much smaller) the same size as the 40ltd, again, why bother?

No. I would however love to utilize my Pentax lens collection on something that is smartly designed and has some features on it to set it apart from the crowd. Besides being "mirrorless", I dont see what this camera has to offer beyond the K-5? Does simply being mirrorless qualify this camera for something great?

Somewhat important, but like any other item people purchase, you'd prefer that item to have a style about it that you enjoy to see, touch, hold and ultimately use. This K-01 appears from a distance to look like a toy, something neither here nor there and not very eye catching.

Most likely they wont give it a second glance. Pentax does not have to go after the pure retro-throwback avenue to design and release an eye catching camera. Not everyone is looking for that "retro" thing anyway, but this just seems to come across, in my eyes as an arbitrary mirrorless release instead of a thought out, well designed piece of engineering. Again, where are the features beyond the styling to make me think "wow"?

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 02-02-2012 at 06:09 AM.
02-02-2012, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

maybe I'm alone, but I expected something similar AND better than Sony A77. I understand the difference between SLT and MILC technology, but to me SLT is much more appealing than another mirrorless toy...

And what's so exciting it accepts all the lens range???
Imagine yourself with a 300/2.8 attached to this soapbox... I'd be ashamed to show up in any public place with such combo in my hands

NOT buying definitely.

02-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Toy looking, but remember k-r and k-x color variations. "Be Interesting" thats still a slogan of Pentax.
02-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #10

5. Only talking looks here, not functionality (which could be argued that one should as it is a tool to be used). I love the minimalistic and clean look.

Yes, kinda. Small, perfect for street photography. Making things as small a possible isn't the most important thing for me though.

Yes. Seems perfect for video and time lapse. With something like the LCDVF, which I use for hand held video with the K-5, it will probably work well for most kinds of photography as well. Depending on the lag on the screen, maybe even sports, who knows. I couldn't see from the full specs if there is manual exposure for video though, but it has, as the K-5, the option to use an external microphone, but unlike the K-5, it does have sound levels \o/

Not important. They're something on the side. I appreciate good looks, but function is all for when I buy it.

If they like something different, I'm sure they'd like it. I just hope it won't become a hipster thing like Macs :P If they're afraid of things that do not look like most other similar things, they probably won't go for it.
02-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I gave it a 4, and I was being generous. The body rates a high 4, but the 40 mm lens looks like something off the toy rack at Dollarama.
02-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1. I love that it takes K-mount
2. My camera needs a viewfinder, always and forever
3. Overall I like the chunky look, but the styling focus should have been to make it smaller, or at least make it look smaller.
3. I hate the red and green buttons. They don't mesh with the utilitarian shape and cheapen the look of the camera.
4. The 40mm (Xtra Slim?) looks good, but the DA 40 Ltd was already small enough, and focal length isn't ideal. This camera should have come with a 28mm pancake.

I was very excited about this camera, but no EVF is too much of a compromise. I'll stick with two DSLR's instead of a DSLR and MILC.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-02-2012 at 07:57 AM.
02-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
Forum Member

Overall I think it's a bold statement in user-friendly look. Operative word being look.
Meaning that it makes me want to pick it up and trying it, like something out from the early eighties, some captivating electronic toy with neat and nice, sleek style.

- Love the silver/black style, dislike the others:
- The new lens look on the camera is neither good nor bad to me, considering the camera is already bulky: with longer lenses (300mm etc) would look too much of a tube imho.
- I rate the design of the camera very important, only second to the Image quality though.
- I think it's appealing enough to people never having heard of Pentax.

There are stuff I don't like at all, though:

- the cylinder shape looking like a steampunk chimney coming out of the mount outline, next to the grip, which has only the purpose of reminding the square-ish shape of the Ricoh mount pasted on the neater oval shape Pentax has sported over the years.

- the top of the cylinder ends with that bulky dial , which I believe would have been placed better inside the border of the rectangular shape of the top view. Moreover, the dial as it is disturbs the look of the mount's top, where the label Pentax and the flash sit.

- the autofocus led (I think it is at least) in the middle of the grip gets too easily covered by the hand holding the camera.

- the back of the camera looks a bit too empty. at least where the viewfinder should be.

My main grudge with the K-01 however, as owner of a mirrorless Olympus EP-1 already, is the lack of viewfinder: I miss it on the PEN and I would miss it even more on this camera, for the sensor it mounts and the lenses it would use, in my case most of them manual only, cries for the presence of a viewfinder.
I understand that this is not per an oversight in design but a conscious choice, and that farther on the road Pentax would very probably implement it, but to me, K-01 it has too a good sensor and quality features inherited from K-5 to treat it like a point and shoot from the very start.

So, my vote on design is 3/5, a good attempt with a good inspiration and bad visual choices, the lack of viefinder being considered separatedly and not influencing the vote, but being a obstacle to me to consider the camera as a possible buy.

Last edited by aheadfordinci; 02-02-2012 at 06:17 AM.
02-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

With a design like that, they're not serious anymore.
I hope this isn't leading down the path of future camera designs or I'll be stuck using a really old camera in years to come.

So this guy says he's never designed a camera before...It's not half obvious.

I've got a $5 , 300k pixel toy camera around the house somewhere, and it's got a viewfinder !!
02-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
4/5. I love everything that is not following 'fashion' guidelines. The minus 1 is for the lack of weather sealing.

Seems big.

I'll wait for a more personal reviews, not those reviews by big guys on big websites.

I like being different. K-01 is different.

Frankly, I think they prefers shiny, polished metal these days.

Last edited by minahasa; 02-02-2012 at 06:45 AM.