Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Video shooting gives you full manual control of shutter speed, aperture, gain, colour settings, and mic recording levels. It's a great looking camera, video spec wise.
Sexy!

The AV button on top of the camera is quite uncomfortable to press while spinning the exposure wheel. Chris actually found it much easier to use both hands, one for the button, one for the wheel. Not a great solution though...
Obviously Chris needs to attend piano sessions next time, instead of boxing!

02-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The AV button on top of the camera is quite uncomfortable to press while spinning the exposure wheel. Chris actually found it much easier to use both hands, one for the button, one for the wheel. Not a great solution though...
I would think they'll have a menu option to change what the wheel controls, no?
02-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job as always by Jordan and Chris, and big thanks to Pentax Canada (!) for getting this model into their hands for some early, honest press. The Camera Store in Calgary really should be paying you guys well for this kind of quality and exposure, even if you need more horses in your videos!!

That was something that crept into my mind when I saw that even the Mode Dial is on the right side, unlike most DSLRs, but similar to the trend of the "rangefinder-esque" MILC cameras. I can't say I've heard Fuji X users complaining about "reach across" to change modes or adjust settings, but then those cameras are smaller and don't even have the native ability to put a big lens on the front.

I'm just imagining one of these boxes attached to the back of my Sigma 150-500mm...
02-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I was waiting for "filmed with a k-01' =)

02-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
"I mean, look at this camera! It's uhm... It's modern!"

Says it all!
LOL

I caught that too.

I get the feeling the author tried hard to put a positive spin on this but the design did him in toward the end as he goes on to state that he thinks its ugly.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I've spent the day looking at the photo's of the camera to see if I'd warm-up to it and I'm about to say its just not going to happen.

Then again... if the sensor does turn-out to be an arm and a leg above the K-5 then I might pick one up when the prices settle, but... something tells me that this unit may struggle with fuji's new sensor also(tough call).

Anyways, I wish Pentax all the best with this camera(myself) and I think they deserve respect for having the chops to venture out of the comfort zone in terms of product design, though I had to say on the flipside, that I can't help but feel as though Pentax just doesn't seem very interested in satisfying its users. - I mean... in all fairness, wouldn't they have a goldmine of feedback and consumer needs right here in the forums?
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I was surprised nobody else asked that either! I hope the video was at least shot with a Pentax DSLR?
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Great video!! It was both informative and entertaining.

02-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must be dense but why do you need to hold AV button while turning the wheel?

Also, aren't all pentax buttons toggle on/off i.e. push a button, spin the wheel, push the button again?
02-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
You would have seen it, if our K-01 could shoot video! I'm really excited to test the video on a fully functioning model.
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I was surprised nobody else asked that either! I hope the video was at least shot with a Pentax DSLR?
Afraid not. We used a Panasonic AF100 with Zeiss 35mm F1.4, Panasonic 25mm F1.4, and Olympus 12mm F2. I had planned to use a K-Mount Adaptor and Pentax glass, but forgot the adaptor. A shame with all the beautiful Pentax glass we had.

If a camera doesn't allow full manual exposure in video, I won't shoot with one, which is why we never used the K-5. I have a feeling we'll be shooting with the K-01 a lot once it ships. I'll let you all know my opinions then.
02-02-2012, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #26
Inactive Account

Another one, dont know if its posted anywhere else

02-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Lol...

The Narrator, Chris Nicholas, even says:
QuoteQuote:
It's ugly...This is the Volvo of cameras."
02-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks. I thought I heard that but wanted to be certain. I genuinely appreciated your candor in the video. Super Job! Thanks.
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
That's the first video that shows CDAF speed in action--looked pretty good in that pretty low light, although he kept refocusing at the same distance.
02-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote

Pentax K-01 - YouTube
Excellent find, thanks. +1 to you. Autofocus in low light seemed quick but it was at roughly the same spot several times. Also, the lens does appear to be able to be MF'd from the quick turn we saw the guy make to that thin ridged area. Thanks again.