Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pre-ordered. The DA21/3.2 will live on this camera. Great backup for my K-5, for the primes at least, or the zooms on sticks. Love the idea of throwing the following into a bag and going on a motorcycle trip:

K-5 + DA70
K-01 + DA21
DA35 or DA40
ONE BATTERY CHARGER!!!!

Really looking forward to testing out the video...

Regarding the design....the fact that older folks that grew up on film don't like the design is actually a good sign that the camera will appeal to its intended market, younger folks just getting into photography.

02-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #47
Veteran Member

These threads today are asking for initial impressions and opinions. Just because some like it and some do not gives no reason for people to begin the quote and reply nonsense. The thread is about your opinion. If yours is different than the person above you, keep it to yourself and stay on topic and for everyone's sake who participates,. keep it tasteful in here, please? For Pete's sake, it is just a camera body after all.

Jason
02-02-2012, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Contrary to my normal habit of buying after a price drop, I am pre-ordering this as soon as the links go live. This will be a great companion/backup to my K-5 on motorcycle trips - put the DA21 on the K-01 and the DA70 on the K-5 and Bob's my uncle! Hope the video is good too, as I'm shooting more of that than ever.

I guess you got the One then? This isn't the K-5 replacement...wait for it...
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It seems to be really tuned for video. Appears to have AF for video, has more modes and higher quality video, and Ogl has pointed out that it's "Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p) features shutter speed and aperture exposure control, video autofocus control"

So, if you are focusing on video this seems to be a better alternative to the K-5. Too bad its lost much of the control and options that make the K-5 a great still camera.
My wife absolutely loves the design, doesn't care about a VF at all and wants the video big time. She also wants to have a shot with my AF lenses. I can now justify DA Ltd's.

Please - remember this is the first entry in a complete new line of cameras. Ricoh will invest heavily in product development, issuing a new, improved version every 9-12 months. You will see an EVF version sooner than you think.

EVF technology, whether bought or developed, will transfer from this line into dSLR's (K-x replacement first, then big brothers). I imagine high-end technology will down-transfer when it is amortized, also.

Rocoh has openly stated they plan to take it to Canon and Nikon. They have stated they are hiring back engineers. They have stated they want to plug market gaps. They have stated they plan for 4 camera lines. I believe they mean it.

The game is all about volume - sell lots and lots of these to consumers so we can have low-volume, high-end dSLR's.

Otherwise Pentax dies. It almost did last yar.
02-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And oh yes, you might want to do a little search around the net. There are already multiple threads on other camera fora with titles like "Ugliest Camera Ever". If you are such Pentax fans you might care about how this camera will effect brand perception.

02-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
Bigger than a KX (and the KX replacement will do everything it does I would hope!) and the same price band, but loses the viewfinder.

New lenses won't fit current SLR's

No weather sealing.

I REALLY want to love this camera but I just don't see who is going to buy it. Am I just being a killjoy?
new lenses do fit current cameras
02-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was rather enthusiastic when it was rumoured that Marc Newson is designing new camera. I knew Marc's work from past and admired it so I thought it is a great thing that Pentax cares to introduce a a new design to their cameras. In my eyes it was a cool thing to do - to attract potentional buyers as well as to appeal to existing Pentaxians by design. Now judging the design is very subjective and difficult to simply say I don't like it - it has something working in it, but overall I have very mixed feelings about that camera. I really find it difficult to like it. I like the preservation of K-mount and sharing the same batteries with K-5/K-7. On the other hand no viewfinder is a big minus, but it posses the sensor of K-5. If the price is really like half of the K-5 and IQ moreless the same it may successful to some extent.
02-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
You guys are pretty good at ignoring all the positive things I have said and done for Pentax over the years. But I am not the cheerleader you obviously need. I call it as I see it, and have evidence to back up all my opinions.

Perhaps you could refute my points instead of making value-free posts? Or would that take too much thought and time?
I concur, a limited prime around 25mm/f2 would be extremely useful.

02-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dpreview fudged the images. K-01 images are 7 to 10 px larger on the hotshow (an identical element they share) than the K-5.
The LCD looks to be exactly the same size to me. No enlargement.
02-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Pre-ordered. The DA21/3.2 will live on this camera.
That makes good sense to me. 21mm is a much better choice than 40mm for a default prime. And for those with enough money to have several cameras this makes an OK backup. Though personally I'd just buy a second K-5.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
These threads today are asking for initial impressions and opinions. Just because some like it and some do not gives no reason for people to begin the quote and reply nonsense. The thread is about your opinion. If yours is different than the person above you, keep it to yourself and stay on topic and for everyone's sake who participates,. keep it tasteful in here, please? For Pete's sake, it is just a camera body after all.
Indeed. But some people have to start yelling "troll" and "ignore list" as soon as they find someone who disagrees with them. Which reminds me, that's the reason I stopped hanging around here.

See you all in a kinder, smarter place!
02-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #55
Inactive Account

Pre-ordered. The DA21/3.2 will live on this camera. Great backup for my K-5, for the primes at least, or the zooms on sticks. Love the idea of throwing the following into a bag and going on a motorcycle trip:

K-5 + DA70
K-01 + DA21
DA35 or DA40
ONE BATTERY CHARGER!!!!

Really looking forward to testing out the video...

Regarding the design....the fact that older folks that grew up on film don't like the design is actually a good sign that the camera will appeal to its intended market, younger folks just getting into photography.

WHERE did you Pre-Order? I'm jumping for one... and I have the cash.
02-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
New lenses won't fit current SLR's
PENTAX - smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens

Check out the last bullet point on the left hand side.

$249 MSRP.
02-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #57
Veteran Member

LOL excellent point. I see all sorts of younger people with full fledged DSLRs holding them at arms length and using the lcd not the OVF
Drives me nuts of course but like you i like the idea of a bag with it and a K7 in my case. no need to buy more batteries (I'll have 3 in total) 1 charger better video (by far) all my lenses work. the new lens will work on the k7 (woohoo the idea it wouldn't bugged me)
sunny days are an issue but a hoodman or an e finder shade deals with that pretty easily
that and I like the yellow one
I think it's time to move some older bodies and other bits and pieces on and make some funds for this camera before my trip this fall (location undecided yet but a return to venice looks on the cards so a nice test of a new camera - my ds was a new camera last time i went)
02-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
WHERE did you Pre-Order? I'm jumping for one... and I have the cash.
I kept on refreshing BH and Adorama to see who would have it first. BH won.

Be sure to use the official link so that the good folks running this forum get a slice:

pentax k-01
02-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #59
Veteran Member

The trend Pentax had these past few years basically guaranteed a change, and that's what we are seeing now. I'm going to wait for the replacement of the K-5 to see how I feel about the future of Pentax, but as far as this camera goes;

A company this size (the Pentax division) already has 3 different lines of lenses....those for the Q, the K mount and the 645. Did you really think they were going to add a 4th? Did you think they were going to replace the K mount, and abandon basically all of their dlsr customer base? btw...Pentax has just released the lens roadmap with what looks like a DA550.

The K-01 is intended to be used with K lenses. I understand that small is trendy right now, but I don't believe that anything smaller attached to the average K mount lens would not be comfortable to use.

No it's not FF.....nor would I expect Pentax to make this the 35mm FF flagship model. While I would like to see FF, Pentax has already trumped this with the 645. Certainly not what some want to hear as the 645 does not cover the intended use of a 35mil FF DSLR, but from a marketing/lineup perspective, Pentax is already devoting a large percentage of it's resources to the pro market.

It doesn't have an OVF. This is a show stopper for me, and the polls on this site indicate that the loss of an OVF is a dead end, but I also understand that for others (a very vocal segment), it offers certain benefits. The K-01 won't change the other offerings for Pentax but it does add a new option.

The sky isn't falling.
02-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That makes good sense to me. 21mm is a much better choice than 40mm for a default prime. .!
Agreed, but i wouldn't be surprised to see an xs variant of the 21 and 70 at some point though they don't show on the new road map
a new 28 pancake would be a nice thing to see as well
It's certainly not a perfect camera (are any of them?) but it fills a couple of holes nicely, and if you have a 2 camera setup (as many do) it is a nice second to the K5 for a video and compact cam (and it comes with the 40 for less than the K5)
so far it looks like Ricoh will make it an interesting year( yes i know this is primarily a Hoya product, but the Road map and Rehiring of engineers and various rumours of other camera plans all make it look like Pentax will be positioned to be a far more serious player by year end which beats the hell out of the Hoya model