Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I like the simplicity of the exterior design. Just compare the dpreview comparison of the back of the K-5 and the back of the K-01, as well as the top control layout. There's much to be said for simplicity, in usability and marketing terms. Just ask Apple.

Now I'm keen to see how they've laid out the software - the menu system and controls.

02-02-2012, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #32

I will never buy a camera without a LARGE and BRIGHT (e.g. Nikon FM2N, Nikon FM3A) viewfinder in which you can actually read the information when shooting into the sun (e.g. Nikon FM2N, FM3A). Pentax needs to build a compact, robust, real "retro" camera with an all metal body with analog controls for shutter speed, aperture, and sensitivity with an "A" setting to invoke auto feature separately (e.g. Pentax 645), high quality all metal lenses (e.g. Pentax SMC-M, Pentax SMC-A), a simple menu system and with a minimum number of buttons and wheels. It is not enough just to have a flat metal top. A Leica M6 this is not.
02-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
...Pentax has lost its way.
Sigh.
Already we are into 'Pentax is doomed'. That didn't take long.
02-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
YPentax has lost its way.
Thank you for reminding me why you were in my ignore list.

02-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sigh.
I think it didn't even make it to the second page before that began.
02-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #36

As someone who has has built up a collection of Pentax glass over the years, regardless what I think of the spec or styling of the K-01, I am very happy to see the K-mount heritage preserved in the "next" generation of interchangeable lens cameras.

Camera bodies come and go but there are some lenses you want to be able to use forever on a current spec body.

So, when the day comes that I want that next bodies, I hope I am faced with the dilemma of choosing between a high end K-mount DSLR or a similarly spec'd decendent of the K-01. Or probably one of each.

Thankyou Pentax-Ricoh, and long live the K-mount!!!
02-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I think it didn't even make it to the second page before that began.
It started yesterday.

02-02-2012, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

what a disappointment....
Pentax isn't sitting firmly in business to take "experiments" like this.

K-5 is a superb camera but Pentax MUST be step ahead to win more customers/market.

IMHO it should persue two main trends: FF DSLR and SLT (like Sony A77/A99).
02-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imgorthand Quote
I'm so glad I switched to Nikon. I would be very angry to see how instead of something to upgrade to from K-7/K-5 Pentax launches this. This is a really bad idea.
Well then, stick with Nikon and let others decide what they will do.
I am wondering whether you do (still?) own any Pentax gear ... do you?
Or perhaps you had decided long ago that Pentax wasn't your bag of bean ... to everyone his/her own choices.

Pentax, Nikon, Canon, and a few others, are pretty much all good for rendering the final results, again it is a matter of choice.
Glad you like your Nikon.

JP
02-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for the lens, it is a nice gimmick. I can see the appeal. But no-one in the entry-level market wants a slow mid-telephoto as their only prime. Pentax needs a compact 24mm f/2 so they can market a street-shooter's dream kit to compete with Fuji. And a collapsible zoom for the mom'n'pop set.
02-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Personally, I LOVE the K-01 design. Simple, to the point, and functional.... I see HUGE potentials for Astrophotgaphy for example. Without a mirror, the tripod is less apt to shake when you take your shot. It does video, so I can stack frames into long exposures.

It can be a camcorder one moment to capture the moment, and then a manual camera the next for photography projects. Supports everything a DSLR would do...

I can see NO reasons to complain thus far about K-01 unless it has to do with bugs with the new PrimeM software engine.
02-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gosh this thread is getting depressing already!

I'll just wait for Adam to bring the review up here and come back later ...

Cheers for now.

JP
02-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
Personally, I LOVE the K-01 design. Simple, to the point, and functional.... I see HUGE potentials for Astrophotgaphy for example. Without a mirror, the tripod is less apt to shake when you take your shot. It does video, so I can stack frames into long exposures.

It can be a camcorder one moment to capture the moment, and then a manual camera the next for photography projects. Supports everything a DSLR would do...

I can see NO reasons to complain thus far about K-01 unless it has to do with bugs with the new PrimeM software engine.
Gald to see a positive comment at last ... now I'm gone until the review.

Cheers.

JP
02-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Pentax announces K-01 K-mount APS-C mirrorless camera: Digital Photography Review There you can find a comparison shot with a K5. It doesn't look much smaller...
Dpreview fudged the images. K-01 images are 7 to 10 px larger on the hotshow (an identical element they share) than the K-5. They REALLY must be in the pocket of CaNikon. Even more than the NY Times is in the pocket . . .
02-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sigh.
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thank you for reminding me why you were in my ignore list.
You guys are pretty good at ignoring all the positive things I have said and done for Pentax over the years. But I am not the cheerleader you obviously need. I call it as I see it, and have evidence to back up all my opinions.

Perhaps you could refute my points instead of making value-free posts? Or would that take too much thought and time?