Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
And oh yes, you might want to do a little search around the net. There are already multiple threads on other camera fora with titles like "Ugliest Camera Ever". If you are such Pentax fans you might care about how this camera will effect brand perception.
Rangefinder Forum is hardly a barometer of current fashion trends and tastes

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That makes good sense to me. 21mm is a much better choice than 40mm for a default prime. And for those with enough money to have several cameras this makes an OK backup. Though personally I'd just buy a second K-5.
Like you, I've crossed over into Micro Four-Thirds, and in another post you made a good point that Pentax's size advantage has been diminished by mirrorless cameras. So while the K-5 is indeed small for a dSLR, it is now the biggest camera that I own. I put the grip on when shooting DA* zooms, but I am now happy that I can get great IQ in smaller form factors.

I did a shoot the other day at a training facility for operating engineers, the guys that operate bulldozers and cranes and backhoes and stuff. It was awesome, a giant sandbox filled with lifesize Tonka trucks. Alas, the lens release button fell off the K-5 and thus the DA* 50-135 F2.8 was stuck on it. Luckily I had my wife's K-x as backup and took shots with the DA* 16-50 mounted on that. I can easily see the K-01 taking the DA* 16-50 and running with it. I may have to bump up the ISO on the long end to mitigate camera shake, but that's not problem.

02-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Regarding the design....the fact that older folks that grew up on film don't like the design is actually a good sign that the camera will appeal to its intended market, younger folks just getting into photography.
I think you're making one heck of an assumption there. Yes, some folks have talked about their old Pentax film cameras and how this design doesn't fit their idea of what a Pentax is, but there are far, far more people who are just saying, "It's ugly" without really indicating their age. This old fart LIKES the design, although I'm not crazy about the new 40mm. With a somewhat larger lens mounted, it reminds me a lot of my old Sony DSC-F707, which I dearly loved. Eh...yeah, I'd like to have an EVF, but I kinda think that may be coming on subsequent models.
02-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think you're making one heck of an assumption there. Yes, some folks have talked about their old Pentax film cameras and how this design doesn't fit their idea of what a Pentax is, but there are far, far more people who are just saying, "It's ugly" without really indicating their age. This old fart LIKES the design, although I'm not crazy about the new 40mm. With a somewhat larger lens mounted, it reminds me a lot of my old Sony DSC-F707, which I dearly loved. Eh...yeah, I'd like to have an EVF, but I kinda think that may be coming on subsequent models.
You're right, I am generalizing. I don't think I'm an old fart yet, but ask a 25 year old and you'll get a different opinion for sure!
02-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's not nearly this ugly.

02-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
PENTAX - smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens

Check out the last bullet point on the left hand side.

$249 MSRP.
That's good news. The preview video stated that the new XS lenses wouldn't work on other bodies.
02-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #66

Happy omissions

I'm happy about some things it has not: PEF, Sv, Tav and Safox. Why happy? Because it means someone at Pentax is still able to separate the essential from the exotic. Even if this is not exactly a camera I need right now, the next one may be.
But tha naming is a cause for concern: K-01 suggests this is the top of the line. Still, it's pretty easy to see that there's a slot for something more advanced than this, also in the EVF category. What are they calling that?
The DSLR line still has some overhead. Hope to see a K-1.0, with a ready lineup/upgrade path towards K-1.1, K-1.2, ... K-2.0
02-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #67
Pentaxian

No viewfinder, no deal. Sorry folks. I hope the engineering guys at Pentax are working on this. I'm outdoors a lot. I was really getting interested in this camera. I assumed it would have an available add on electronic viewfinder like the competition. While shooting with the pancake lens wouldn't be an issue, try shooting in live view with a telephoto mounted holding the camera at arms length. I have used the live view feature on my K5 only a couple of times. I don't want a camera that I HAVE to use that way. The younger generation has grown up using cameras that way. The results are all over Facebook. I want my viewfinder!

02-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #68
Inactive Account

Personally: Bye-Bye Fujifilm X-01
02-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #69

Pentax K01 in Bright Light?

It is very hard to understand why Pentax did not provide an EVF on the K01. Focus peaking may help with manual focussing but the LCD will be difficult to use in bright light - safari, beach, Egypt, summer garden - and the need to hold out the camera to compose shots will mean it will be near useless with the longer, heavier DA* lenses unless used with a tripod or monopod.

Also the K01 will make the introduction of a K mount module for the Ricoh GXR even less likely, which will be great pity as Ricoh are already using the excellent Sony 16 Mp sensor in their new A module and the GXR is available with a half decent EVF. So no K01 for me.

Or is Pentax trying to shift more of the O-VF1 optical viewfinders at the ridiculous price of GBP 200 plus?
02-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #70
Pentaxian

I'm not going to say I like it or don't like it but I will say, it looks to be a point and shoot on steroids. It's great to have the ability to change the lenses but what will happen when you put a big zoom on it?

Holding the camera out at arms lingth and try to change your zoom will be awkward. Try doing that with whatever body you have now and see how it feels.
02-02-2012, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

I have trouble seeing things until I can well... see them. But I'm impressed. I'm still shooting a K20D, haven't decided to replace it now or wait until the next DSLR body comes out.

The 4928 x 3264 image size would be a big step up for me.

I do the majority of my shooting in AV mode, which the camera supports... no issue there. I'll miss TAV, it's nice to have when you want it, but I've used it maybe 5 times in 4 years on my K20D.

The most important feature I use on my K20D would be the EV control... and that is there an readily accessible.

SInce I work as a nature photographer, this is how I see this working. My K20D is in it's holster with the DA* 60-250 on it ready for wildlife shots. Around my neck is this camera with my 21 ltd on it, for landscape work and snapshots. This camera can be used for any shot that doesn't require tracking... because any camera like this sucks at tracking wildlife. So sunsets, vistas from look outs etc.. this would be my camera of choice, although I do want to see some images verifying IQ.

I feel sorry for you guys who were looking for a K-5 replacement... but, you gave up IQ and focussing accuracy for AF speed and low light performance when you signed up for Pentax. So, essentially you weren't the kind of user Pentax was going to keep anyway. Personally I'm excited by the concept of having a great lens like my 21 ltd on a light small body. And should I choose, I already have 7 lenses for this camera, without spending an extra cent. I already carry a Pentax w10, so I'm used to the back screen viewfinder thing. For good weather, I see this more like a huge IQ improvement to the Optio W10 I always carry.

I swear, half the negative people who posted on here must work for Nikon and Canon. If they aren't getting paid for saying this absolute garbage, they're wasteing their time.

Pentax is and always has been

Great legacy glass.
Great landscape and portrait lenses.
Adequate AF speed, but far from the fastest.
Accurate AF
More bang per buck.

NIkon Canikon have always been... more hype than bang for buck. I know Andre Agassi and Maria Sharapove aren't the people I take my camera advice from, although if they want to give me tennis lessons, I'm in.

Fast Auto-Focus, producing acceptable results but with a predictably lower level of razor sharp images, and a predictably higher rate of unacceptable images.
Better high ISO performance.

It's amazing how many people come on here and complain about Pentax, who shouldn't be here, shouldn't be here because they should have bought something else in the first place. You don't buy something that doesn't do what you want, and then complain to the manufacturer because it is what it is. No one has ever said "Buy Pentax for the fast AF or the amazing low light performance." SO how did you losers ever get to Pentax in the first place? You can't read? You didn't do any research before you bought your system, what? Really if you want to discuss things, discuss things that make sense to Pentax users, not Canon and Nikon users. Those systems are different, not better.

So lets talk to real Pentax users here. I'm getting tired of the whining crying Canon/Nikon wannabees.

Why come here and complain about Pentax's when you could be on a Canikon/Forum, complaining about the low rate of sharp images they produce and high almost 20% rate of un-acceptable out of focus images? Every release of a Pentax body shouldn't be an opportunity for you idiots to come on here an whine and cry. I think you're stupid, for buying in ot Pentax in the first place, if in fact you ever did...and I just end up thinking you're Canikon employees, trying to increase your sales during your lunch hour.

The thing is, if Pentax becomes what you Canikon wannabes want, then I won't have what I want. My Pentax systems work just fine for me. I like the 60% sharp image rate on teh auto-focus as compared to under 50 for comparable Canikon Systems. I like the 10% una-acceptable rate as opposed to 20% un-acceptable of similar Canikon systems, for the images I actually shoot. I want Pentax to be what it is, and not what you want it to be... so really... shut up.

Go play with your Canikon toys and get out of my face. Canon and Nikon make systems for you. Pentax makes systems for me, how long is it going to take you to get that?

Last edited by normhead; 02-02-2012 at 08:55 AM.
02-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Love and hate for me. =)
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #73
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
That's good news. The preview video stated that the new XS lenses wouldn't work on other bodies.
So did the press release on this site

"We expect a larger series of XS lenses to become available in the near future; these lenses will be extra-compact and are said to only function with the K-01.

More Pentax news at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-01-officially-announced.html#ixzz1lEp7vMro"

If that is so then we'll have another unique, and incompatible range of lenses from Pentax which rather spoils the point of sticking with the K? Hopefully the lenses will work.
02-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Teens don't want this - they want an iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy S2

My sons are 16 & 24 and think it looks crap - so do I

They would rather use my K10D or D7000 any day.

The Sony NEX 5n/7 are far better and at least offer an OVF.
02-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #75

I like it for what it's intended for. I don't think the K-01 is targeted at experienced DSLR users as a replacement or upgrade. The camera is going to appeal to consumers that are wanting to step up from P&S to a higher end camera that has the potential image quality and video capabilities of the K-01 without the perception of DSLR complexity. As well being able to experience the LBA phenomenon when they discover the vast array of old and new lens to choose from will be interesting to see. The Pentax brand may also have some advantage here for the boutique coolness with it's roots back to the dawn of SLRs and the backward compatibility to all of those lens out there. It think Pentax made some tough decisions to offer this set of features and functionally at this price point in order to capture new customers to the brand.