Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #136
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
...and yet Olympus PENs lead the selling statistics in JAPAN......despite of being flawed.
1. Because it looks retro and retro is in . Svelt piece of high-tech is also in (NEX) - (LEGO is in only for under 12's)

2. Is much smaller than an SLR but gives the same quality.

3. It's cheaper than equivalent SLR's

4. the lenses are smaller than SLR lenses.

If (as many have stated) we're all old fogeys who just don't understand that youth of today never use viewfinders then why are we expecting said 'youths' to value and understand the legacy of old fogey lenses from Pentax? There is a fundamental disconnect there than leaves a wafer thin market for people who want something the size of an SLR, that uses a range of old lenses, but doesn't have a viewfinder - and pay more than entry level SLR for it.

Fuji, a company no-one would take seriously for digital have totally turned the market on it's head and right now are cleaning up, and why? two things - the best viewfinders on the market and gorgeous retro looks. And retro also means great to use because there's 100 years+ of trial and error design decisions that evolve something nice to use. Getting a furniture designer to reinvent the wheel isn't necessarily going to work.

02-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #137

i like it. the more i think and look at the K-01, i like it. as others have said....this is what P&S folks will want to step up too. i think....i'm going to buy one...but probably a couple months after it's released--to see what kinds of bugs need to be sorted (not unlike how the K-5 was when it was launched). my mum will probably love using this camera......it looks quite easy for her to use. i have a spare 18-55 that came with my K-5....it'll be awesome

-raphael
02-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also like the K-01 and I like the trend it sets...would love to see some outdoor version, sealed and with evf...hopefully
02-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #139

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
And I stand by my claims of "real photography". You know those poor fools I talked about earlier? You know, the ignorant masses taking pictures of their families and friends with their useless phones and cameras held in front of their face? Those folks, by my definition, are real photographers, documenting their lives and the age they live in, raw and real and without bias or pretense of what is right or wrong. Those folks are the embodiment of everything that Eastman and Kodak and Land and others tried to do, create a democratic art form that all can enjoy. This pixel-peeping, spec-sheeting, test-shooting spectacle is little more than a side show to the real challenge of making photographs that actually say something.
Very well said.

02-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #140

QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
Very well said.
+1 Awesome.
02-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #141

QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
Do you buy every camera that Nikon makes? If Nikon makes a camera you don't like, are you going to switch to canon?
No I didn't switch because of one camera. I switched because lack of possible upgrades. Waited 2 years. I had to sell k7 + 3 lenses.
02-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #142
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
New lenses won't fit current SLR's
Is this true? I couldn't find any info on this. You mean I won't be able to use that DA 40mm 2.8 XS on my dSLR, although there are photos of it on K-5?

02-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #143
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Salagubang Quote
Very well said.
Absolutely, but irrelevent - Land and Kodak/Eastman are gone... They popularised photography by being affordable, convenient and easy to use, certainly not quality of image. That market is what iphones are for.

But here I'm going to show my ignorance. One problem seems to be the K mount and flange distance. With a big empty 'mirror' box the 01 could have a range of lenses that extent into that box and so will be just as compact as other APS mirrorless cameras - i.e. the lens/body combination will not be too big. That way they get backwards compatibly.

So you'll get a small range of 01 specific lenses and the rest will be compatible with all Pentax. And is that actually the case already and why we seem to be getting two stories on the 3 new lenses not being SLR compatible?
02-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
One problem seems to be the K mount and flange distance. With a big empty 'mirror' box the 01 could have a range of lenses that extent into that box and so will be just as compact as other APS mirrorless cameras - i.e. the lens/body combination will not be too big.
I don't think that will happen. Look at K-01 without a lens and you will see that the "mirrorbox" is shrunken, It's as deep as usual (obviously) but not as wide. A lens that extends into that area has to be really narrow, thus I don't think that will happen.
02-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
...and yet Olympus PENs lead the selling statistics in JAPAN......despite of being flawed.
According to some, it's not only flawed, it's USELESS
02-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #146
Inactive Account

Will hold off on the K01 for now.

New improved technology - terriffic, New physical designs - interesting, Functionality - more to come, Upgrade to the K5 - yet to be proven. Not sure I like what I am seeing yet - BUT glad to see Pentax (or whom ever they are today), trying to be inovative and a leader in the market once again! To me its a first stab and I like the attempt. BUT hopefully they are reading all the comments and toughts of everyone and will listen to the people that keep them in business.

Personally I was looking to purchase a second K5 and trade in/sell my backup K7, but with the rumbling of a new DSLR I held off. The K01 is interesting - but yet too new and sounds like somewhat limiting compared to the existing K5. Currently I shoot Youth Sports indoor and outdoors. I was hoping for a faster shooting camera (fps 7 to 9), faster/more accurate auto focus, and another upgrade to the sensor like the upgrade from K7 to the K5. I typically shoot Manual only on everything so not looking for a movie camera that can do slow motion and or a camera which has 81 focal points. I am looking for an impovement in what I consider the basics.

For now will purchase a K5 backup.

Keep up the passion and let the manufacturer know what you see is needed as the next steps. Enjoying all the discussions.
02-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
The problem is that Pentax hasn't been thinking since September, 2010 (K-5). I'm afraid the latest releases (Q, K-01) are the crap Hoya had envisioned for the brand and was struggling to get out in the market. That's why the 2011 was complete silence regarding new products and roadmaps.

Hopefully Ricoh will put Pentax back to its feet. They were doing well with the K-x and K-5, but are now back to square zero on brand recognition. The K-01 will be the joke of the industry for the rest of the year.
because of course there will be no more releases from Pentax this year.

This is the last of the Hoya, it should have been out last year after the Q. Sensor availability killed that to some degree i'm sure, and Ricoh probably took the opportunity to add Focus Peaking to it and tweak some operational things.

For those who don't want a K5 at $999, the Kr replacement is apparently not far off. If it doesn't have everything this camera does plus a 100% VF i'd be surprised (it probably will also have the AA batteries if things are going to hold true to history to some degree)
I'm not sure there will be another Mirrorless this year (if so it will be Photokina and a Ricoh developed product), but 3-4 DSLRs seems highly likely based on statements Ricoh has made over the last little while
And a GXR K module is also likely (a new GXR back is also a possibility)
if you take the guts of the KR-01 and put it in a K module it's a pretty cool piece.
02-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jüri Quote
Is this true? I couldn't find any info on this. You mean I won't be able to use that DA 40mm 2.8 XS on my dSLR, although there are photos of it on K-5?
No it's not true. On Pentax' site it states compatible with all Pentax K mount cameras. It is a Kaf mount

QuoteQuote:
PENTAX KAF mount is compatible with current and past K-mount compatible cameras.
02-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #149

I'm new here, actually seeked this forum out to learn more about this camera. I'm looking to upgrade from me ole EOS 10d, and since I only have 1 lens, I'm not tied to Canon. Was thinking about the Oly EP3, maybe the new O-MD - After seeing the K-01, added that to the list.

The only negative's that I can see are that it's not really much smaller than a slr, and no EVF, although that may happen in the future. I'm not keen on the design/looks, but in the end, I'm more concerned with image quality than camera style. Judging from the sensor/lens selection, image quality should be outstanding.

I'm still hung up on the size thing, though.. The main reason I'm considering straying from canon is the dslr draws too much attention...I'd rather have something a bit less conspicuous...Dunno if the k-01 will accomplish this...still, very excited to see/handle one in the flesh.

Steve
02-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
You want to talk about compromise.

What's the point of this compromise then: a $ 800 for a camera that doesn't enable you to do more than a good P&S? K-mount lenses, more megapickles... Sure, but how does it even matter for the mass market you are declaring this camera should appeal to, the people who hold cameras at arms-length?

See, your argument works both ways. You're saying this is a mass-market camera, but that's wishful thinking. It only matters for people who already own K-mount glass and are ok to cope without a VF. A niche inside a niche. Everyone else could care less for a camera signed by a famous designer that just does what every other camera does.

(To it's merit, and ironically, this camera seems to excel at something completely unexpected: video)

Again, how a $ 800 crippled camera signed by a famous designer compares to the popularization of photography Kodak et all achieved? If there's such a democractic Pentax camera, it's the K-1000 or the K-x, which delivered the best value for the money and allowed people to have better tools at their disposal that did more, not less.
I understand that you are deliberately overstating the flaws as perceived by you, personally, but that doesn't mean that no one will buy this camera. Many people like the way it looks. In addition, the MSRP is 750 dollars, not 800 dollars. That means that street pricing will be considerably less than the 750 dollars reported (much less the 800 dollars you said).

I am glad that Pentax is making a variety of cameras, not just cameras for the Pentax faithful on this forum (who will only be satisfied with a full frame release, anyway).