Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #151

Photos: Gallery
I had money saved to buy this springs replacement camera as a primary or backup for my K-5. After the official release info yesterday and seeing the missing VF I now have a new 47" TV hanging off of the wall and I finally own a blue ray player. I would rather have had a new camera....

02-03-2012, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #152
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
because of course there will be no more releases from Pentax this year.

This is the last of the Hoya, it should have been out last year after the Q. Sensor availability killed that to some degree i'm sure, and Ricoh probably took the opportunity to add Focus Peaking to it and tweak some operational things.

For those who don't want a K5 at $999, the Kr replacement is apparently not far off. If it doesn't have everything this camera does plus a 100% VF i'd be surprised (it probably will also have the AA batteries if things are going to hold true to history to some degree)
I'm not sure there will be another Mirrorless this year (if so it will be Photokina and a Ricoh developed product), but 3-4 DSLRs seems highly likely based on statements Ricoh has made over the last little while
And a GXR K module is also likely (a new GXR back is also a possibility)
if you take the guts of the KR-01 and put it in a K module it's a pretty cool piece.
I suspect this may be the truth - the K-01 a 'bastard' child spawned by Hoya and soon to be abandoned by Ricoh as it makes a rather more serious assault on the market. If so the K-01 may end up cheap as chips and then a funky back-up:-)
02-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Question. Did Pentax, at any time, say that the K-01 was going to replace the standered DSLR as we know it?

From what it looks like to me, thay have come up with a hybred camera. Higher quality pictures with the use of great lenses but the ease of a P&S with higher video.

Now the reto look is ok to me because that is what it seems like a lot of people are wanting these days. Look at how many things that are being sold today with that "reto" look.

I'm just wondering if the K-01 is a kind of experimental camera with a reto design. Maybe this camera is not intended to be a huge seller but to try out different markets and new ideas. Maybe Pentax doesn't think going mirrorless is something they want to do in a DSLR so they are trying it out with the K-01. Maybe they are using the K-01 to work out the bugs in the mirrorless system so they don't have the problems like with the K5.

Sometime you need to not only step out of the box but away from it to see what needs to be done.

To me though, I feel that using a lens longer then 100mm will be the main problem with this design especally if it is a zoom. With a 31, 40, 50, or 85, I think this camera will shine very brightly. If they add WR, even more so.
02-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I second that.

Fuji already did this for the rangefinder (and Ricoh was late to the party with their M-mount module). First SLR manufacturer to wake up and get this into the market before everybody else wins. Pentax is so well positioned for this:

- they commited to the K-mount
- they have a huge legacy of lenses that work great with EVF + manual focus
- they have WR which, without a mirror, makes for an absolutely sturdy adventure camera (!)
- they know how to make ergonomic bodies and compact lenses (!!)
- they have in-body SR (!!!)

...and still they are clueless, releasing weird cameras. It's so stupid it's unbeliveable, really.[/
It must be late - you make a great post, tell the right story, then you blow it in your footnote.

Why do you think Ricoh bought Pentax?

02-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
And I stand by my claims of "real photography". You know those poor fools I talked about earlier? You know, the ignorant masses taking pictures of their families and friends with their useless phones and cameras held in front of their face? Those folks, by my definition, are real photographers, documenting their lives and the age they live in, raw and real and without bias or pretense of what is right or wrong. Those folks are the embodiment of everything that Eastman and Kodak and Land and others tried to do, create a democratic art form that all can enjoy. This pixel-peeping, spec-sheeting, test-shooting spectacle is little more than a side show to the real challenge of making photographs that actually say something.
+1 100 times.

John:

Adam should put this in the banner head.

We should all be forced to click a button affirming we have read it (again) every time we try to log in. Then we should be forced to recite into a K-01 stereo mic, "I am not a pedant. I am not a pedant." 50 times.
02-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
Fuji, a company no-one would take seriously for digital have totally turned the market on it's head and right now are cleaning up, and why? two things - the best viewfinders on the market and gorgeous retro looks. And retro also means great to use because there's 100 years+ of trial and error design decisions that evolve something nice to use. Getting a furniture designer to reinvent the wheel isn't necessarily going to work.
I couldn't word it better myself.

It's not too hard to realize there's a market for a digital K-1000, much bigger than the market any of the weird cameras they released so far can expect to achieve. Pentax would have realized this if they had a clue. Someone please go to Japan and smack some managers
02-03-2012, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect this may be the truth - the K-01 a 'bastard' child spawned by Hoya and soon to be abandoned by Ricoh as it makes a rather more serious assault on the market. If so the K-01 may end up cheap as chips and then a funky back-up:-)
The K-01 is the first in a new line of cameras designed to offer very high IQ and video to emerging affluent consumers worldwide.

It is not intended as an enthusiast's camera, not a semi-pro border camera.

Look back to the 70's and read about the Canon F1 and the Nikon F Series and who bought them. Then read about Pentax, the Spotmatic, who bought them, what they cost, the emerging affluent middle class in America (men who fought in WWII), why they bought cameras and other high-end consumer goods - just do it.

Then think about emerging middle classes in Asia, India and Latin America. What do they want (after they buy shampoo and Coke)? The symbols of affluence. Without the requirement to have a degree in photography to use the thing they just bought. It needs to feel right, be easy to use and produce better images than a crap InstaGram phone shot (because that makes the shooter a cooler person).

In short, they want a Spotmatic. Pentax just released one.

02-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It must be late - you make a great post, tell the right story, then you blow it in your footnote.

Why do you think Ricoh bought Pentax?
Because Hoya had a failed business at hand and sold it cheap. That's what people who actually know how to run a business make more money, they buy failed business and revamp. The latest annoucements (Q, K-01) are probably the stuff Hoya had on the pipeline and was struggling to get out, that's why we went one full year without any news or roadmaps, and the last solid product was released back in September, 2010 (K-5).

Also, don't get mad bro. No need for huge letters and red text.
02-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Because Hoya had a failed business at hand and sold it cheap. That's what people who actually know how to run a business make more money, they buy failed business and revamp. The latest annoucements (Q, K-01) are probably the stuff Hoya had on the pipeline and was struggling to get out, that's why we went one full year without any news or roadmaps, and the last solid product was released back in September, 2010 (K-5).

Also, don't get mad bro. No need for huge letters and red text.
Ricoh bought Pentax to beat Canon.
02-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Ricoh bought Pentax to beat Canon.
The K-01 is a pretty solid brick, I'm sure it can hurt a lot if you aim for the head... but I don't think that's what Ricoh had in mind when they bough Pentax to beat Canon!
02-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Fuji, a company no-one would take seriously for digital have totally turned the market on it's head and right now are cleaning up, and why? two things - the best viewfinders on the market and gorgeous retro looks. And retro also means great to use because there's 100 years+ of trial and error design decisions that evolve something nice to use. Getting a furniture designer to reinvent the wheel isn't necessarily going to work.
Fuji was always a sleeping giant. They are one of a few camera manufacturers that can also make their own sensors. After several years of bumbling in digital they finally got out of their own way, and what you're seeing now is the result.
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-01 is a pretty solid brick, I'm sure it can hurt a lot if you aim for the head... but I don't think that's what Ricoh had in mind when they bough Pentax to beat Canon!
It is precisely why they bought Pentax.

Step one Post #157
Step Two (coming in 2013). You won't believe they can do that either.
Step Three - glohal corporate infrastructure. In America we will all be skeptical and complain that what they do isn't just exactly what I need while Ricoh quietly goes about making Pentax a real, competitive brand.

We've been stepchildren, hanging on by our fingernails for so long, that we can't see Ricoh's plan, size and scale relative to Canon, and their capacity conmpetence and will to achieve it.
02-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is precisely why they bought Pentax.

Step one Post #157
Step Two (coming in 2013). You won't believe they can do that either.
Step Three - glohal corporate infrastructure. In America we will all be skeptical and complain that what they do isn't just exactly what I need while Ricoh quietly goes about making Pentax a real, competitive brand.

We've been stepchildren, hanging on by our fingernails for so long, that we can't see Ricoh's plan, size and scale relative to Canon, and their capacity conmpetence and will to achieve it.
No, no, no. You have the business plan all wrong. It goes...

Step 1: Collect underpants
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit!!!
02-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desmoface Quote
I'm new here, actually seeked this forum out to learn more about this camera. I'm looking to upgrade from me ole EOS 10d, and since I only have 1 lens, I'm not tied to Canon. Was thinking about the Oly EP3, maybe the new O-MD - After seeing the K-01, added that to the list.

The only negative's that I can see are that it's not really much smaller than a slr, and no EVF, although that may happen in the future. I'm not keen on the design/looks, but in the end, I'm more concerned with image quality than camera style. Judging from the sensor/lens selection, image quality should be outstanding.

I'm still hung up on the size thing, though.. The main reason I'm considering straying from canon is the dslr draws too much attention...I'd rather have something a bit less conspicuous...Dunno if the k-01 will accomplish this...still, very excited to see/handle one in the flesh.

Steve
Welcome to the forum Steve! I see you've jumped into the deep end of a heated discussion on which the future of Pentax rests!

Regarding drawing attention...there are a number of things that draw attention to a photographer....

[In order of attention-drawing power]
  1. Raising a camera up to your eye to use a viewfinder
  2. Big, obnoxious white lenses
  3. Yelling, "FIRE!" in a public place
  4. Huge bags with a tripod strapped to them
  5. Loud shutters
  6. Really big cameras
  7. Loud ties

In my experience, the act of bringing a camera up to my eye will draw more attention to me than the size difference between the K-01 and other mirrorless cameras. I especially like cameras with flip-twist screens. The Panasonic GH2 has a flip-twist touch screen. I can very stealthily have it by my side, compose the shot, and AF and take the shot by tapping the subject. Very stealth. Now if only the shutter were quieter. That's one of the things that attracts me to the K-01. I got it in black to be very stealthy.

Think about it, at 5-10 feet, cameras are just boxes in some person's hand. The difference between the K-01 and other mirrorless cameras is like the difference between a 250 page paperback and a 400 page paperback.

Others will have their own opinions, which I'm sure that they will share.

Hope to see you 'round....john

btw, "Desmoface"? Is that a Ducati reference?
02-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No, no, no. You have the business plan all wrong. It goes...

Step 1: Collect underpants
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit!!!
Hah hah hah!!

Try this method to hold the K-01 and let me know if you think it will work.

I'm convinced.