Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hah hah hah!!

Try this method to hold the K-01 and let me know if you think it will work.

I'm convinced.
That link hits the nail on the head. Though there are longer lenses available for it the target user will probably never use them (heck the target user for this may never own more than 2-3 lenses tops) they certainly won't know what a monopod is

The guy using a 250-600 is not going to buy this body for that purpose and if he does but it for some reason it'll be on a tripod. Big lens users are likely to be SLR not Mirrorless users for the most part.

This body with the 21/40/70 trio does present as compact a unit as most mirrorless just with a different form function where the size is in the body not the lens. it will be more balanced at arms length because of that BTW

still not an enthusiast camera it's a good start though and may be a nice backup for better video and general walkabout

02-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-01 looks ok to me. I’ll never buy one as I don’t shoot digital, but the K-01 will be appealing to many people.

Much better looking than this Pentax gem released in 1997:

PENTAX EI-C90 - 1996. Displayed at PMA1996. An unusual first in digicams, the EI-C90 could be separated into two sections so that the section containing the camera (on the right in the photo) could be carried alone if desired while the section containing the LCD could be left at home. The marketed version featured small improvements over the PMA prototype and was put on sale in July 1997. 768 x 560 pixel CCD. ISO 200. 50 mm f/2.8 lens. Shutter 1/8 to 1/4000 second. PC card type I/II. Price, $915.

Phil.
Attached Images

02-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The K-01 looks ok to me. I’ll never buy one as I don’t shoot digital, but the K-01 will be appealing to many people.

Much better looking than this Pentax gem released in 1997:

PENTAX EI-C90 - 1996. Displayed at PMA1996. An unusual first in digicams, the EI-C90 could be separated into two sections so that the section containing the camera (on the right in the photo) could be carried alone if desired while the section containing the LCD could be left at home. The marketed version featured small improvements over the PMA prototype and was put on sale in July 1997. 768 x 560 pixel CCD. ISO 200. 50 mm f/2.8 lens. Shutter 1/8 to 1/4000 second. PC card type I/II. Price, $915.

Phil.
PCMCIA storage, nice. Plug it right into your Win95 laptop without an adapter.
02-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And speaking of "bricks". My first digital camera.

165mm W x 88.8mm H x 48.26mm D ~453 g

43mm equivalent lens f/5.6 ISO 130

Held 16 VGA photos, but it had a viewfinder! You could even get a detachable lcd that connected to the serial port.

02-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really, the answer to the original question posed by this thread is "I will know when I try to use it." As I answered in another poll, I'm not all that jazzed with its looks but it is a tool to take photos, not a hood ornament. I also don't know that it fits my needs, but whether I "like" it is another story.
02-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

Here's my first:

That thing did one thing very effectively - it drove me to a DSLR.

02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #172
Veteran Member

here's mine (and i won it didn't buy it, i barely used it sticking to film until i grabbed the ds later the same year)

02-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine. Marvelous camera for the time. Fixed zoom lens. No, I don't have it. (32Mb SM card. TIFF files).

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2012 at 12:25 PM.
02-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #174
Veteran Member

My First. Sony.

02-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
haha, i sold a few of those and the later ones that wrote to a mini cdrw
02-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by budzy1911 Quote
I really hope this isn't a replacement for the K-5 and I am hoping that they come out with a pro level DSLR like the Nikon D3 series. Please tell me this is a joke. I was waiting for a real camera to replace my K100 and they give us this?

Sorry but this may be the end of the road for me with Pentax.
Even if you picked up a K-r, you would be blown away by the improvement over the K100D.
02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It seems to be really tuned for video. Appears to have AF for video, has more modes and higher quality video, and Ogl has pointed out that it's "Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p) features shutter speed and aperture exposure control, video autofocus control"

So, if you are focusing on video this seems to be a better alternative to the K-5. Too bad its lost much of the control and options that make the K-5 a great still camera.
If aimed at video, why not a tilt /swivel screen? That's a real shortcoming with Pentax in general. Rather than replace my LK-r with a K-5 this Christmas, I ended up buying an Olympus E-PL3 micro 4/3 for three reasons: (1) compactness, (2) very fast AF for street shooting, and (3) tilt screen. Amazing how much use the tilt screen gets. Maybe a K-01a will carry the tilt screen.
02-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #178

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

165mm W x 88.8mm H x 48.26mm D ~453 g

43mm equivalent lens f/5.6 ISO 130

Held 16 VGA photos, but it had a viewfinder! You could even get a detachable lcd that connected to the serial port.
My first digital camera was truly a brick - and the first megapixel digital camera available at the time

02-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #179

Back on topic, I admire Pentax for not simply being the first to produce a mirrorless that uses full size DSLR lenses, but for breaking new ground in camera design. It may take the conservative amongst us time to come round to it, but that is the sign of a true progressive product. Technically, I need a viewfinder for my photography, so find myself waiting for the next mirrorless from Pentax, which will have EVF hopefully built in (and FF) .

In the meantime, well done Pentax, you lead the way in camera design yet again. It's a beautiful creature, simply gorgeous. A future design classic for sure.
02-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Try handing your dSLR to a 20 or 30 something and ask them to take your picture. 9 times out of 10 they will hold it at arms length and wonder why they can't see an image on the rear LCD. Even a 30 or 40 something will hesitate before remembering the old way of taking pictures. Poor fools, they don't know that the cameras and phones that they use regularly are useless.

As someone trained in product design, I would expect you to understand that every design decision is a compromise. Sure the LCD will wash out in some conditions, but the majority of times people seem to be getting along just fine, judging by the literally millions of photos taken each day without a viewfinder.

Let's not also forget that Pentax must rationalize their product line, and a $750 dollar product that does everything the $1200 product does iwill surely lead to product cannibalization.

And I stand by my claims of "real photography". You know those poor fools I talked about earlier? You know, the ignorant masses taking pictures of their families and friends with their useless phones and cameras held in front of their face? Those folks, by my definition, are real photographers, documenting their lives and the age they live in, raw and real and without bias or pretense of what is right or wrong. Those folks are the embodiment of everything that Eastman and Kodak and Land and others tried to do, create a democratic art form that all can enjoy. This pixel-peeping, spec-sheeting, test-shooting spectacle is little more than a side show to the real challenge of making photographs that actually say something.

Nailed it, and helped me put into perspective again that the time I put in here is time away from the K-5 and my various precious lenses

I waited on the digital camera front to get my first one until it had optical and LCD.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.