Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #271

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I'm waiting to see what the K5 replacement will bring, if that's nothing i might as well go the extra mile and get the BMC.
It's $3000 and it comes with $1700 of useful software so all in all just great value.
What is the BMC ? The digital Bolex ?

04-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #272

Nice

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
I know the TM900 is *A LOT* easier to use, and it will deliver a sharper and cleaner image than any DSLR

but its small sensor is a big limiting factor; it's not a contender in low light, and I haven't found any forma DR tests, but I'd be surprised if it reaches 9 stops

this is what a TM900 and NEX-5N says about both: Comparing the Panasonic TM900 and Sony NEX-5N - AVS Forum
Indeed, that little TM900 has a very clear image. The low light footage were pretty good, imo. I've got a Lumix FZ-45, the Leica lens was awesome and it could delivers pretty neat footage in good lighting condition (the same for stills), but in low light the noise was just crazy red and yellow dots all over the frame. (The FZ-45 is still by my experence a more easy to use video camera than Pentax). I am genuinely impressed by that TM900 example. And of course... cervo-zoom is a feature dslr doesn't have without adding heavy gear.
04-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrbitalChiller Quote
Just google.
Digital bolex is still in development but BMC (blackmagic cinema camera) will launch next mount, 1440p30 in cinemaDNG and it uses SSD for storage.
Very cool videocamera for the money, if you're doing movies this one is more interesting then any DSLR because it can film in RAW.
04-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #274
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrbitalChiller Quote
BlackMagic Camera
16mm wide sensor (2.3x crop factor) with 2.5K resolution and 13 stops of DR, records uncompressed 12-bit RAW (CinemaDNG) to SSD drives; capacitive touchscreen, EF mount with electronic control; $3000 (with about $1500 in bundled software):
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

check out the crazy reaction by the grassroots filmmaking community:
Other: BlackMagic Cinema camera!!!! 2.5k for 3k...

04-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #275

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Just google.
I did, of course, but there were so many confusing results on "bmc", even "bmc camera". Yeah the BlackMagic looks awesome.
04-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #276
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Many gigs of video through my Pentax K-01. Even in direct sunlight for hours; outdoor air temps above ninety degrees with high humidity... Never had any heat issues with video or still.

Athough also noting there is an error code that shuts down the camera if this ever occurs.
Thanks for the response.
04-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #277
Veteran Member

Yeah, this BMC camera looks pretty phenomenal. I think they should come out with a K-01v, which is completely aimed at crushing in the indie film world.
04-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #278
Forum Member

yes, that could be incredibly awesome

I'm not sure their sensor-supply contract with Sony allows them to sell something that, for example, records RAW video

04-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #279
Veteran Member

But those sony sensor aren't that great for video.
a 3mp sensor could make more sense since you don't need to bin the pixels and also the smaller pixels size is easier to process.
Hell they could throw in just the same sensor the BMC has in the K-01, that might be intersting.
04-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #280
Forum Member

I'd much rather have the k-01 sensor: it's bigger, it has lots of DR, and it's great in low light
doing a fast 2x2 binning leads to a 2.5K bayer pattern, which is PERFECT for video

the only downside it has is that I'm not sure it can work fast enough without line-skipping, but even if that's mandatory processing the binned/skipped 2.5K bayer pattern *in*post* should avoid aliasing/moire issues

(I'm maybe 10% into designing my own camera, and I'd LOVE to use this sensor; I doubt Sony would sell it to me; plan B would be the cmosis CMV12000)
(it would be MUCH easier if pentax just allowed us to play with the K-01 firmware; if the camera can write 50 MB/s to the card, and we can control the image processor at a low level, this little thing could record RAW video too)
04-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #281
Banned

Photos: Albums
I'd much rather have the k-01 sensor: it's bigger, it has lots of DR, and it's great in low light
doing a fast 2x2 binning leads to a 2.5K bayer pattern, which is PERFECT for video

the only downside it has is that I'm not sure it can work fast enough without line-skipping, but even if that's mandatory processing the binned/skipped 2.5K bayer pattern *in*post* should avoid aliasing/moire issues

(I'm maybe 10% into designing my own camera, and I'd LOVE to use this sensor; I doubt Sony would sell it to me; plan B would be the cmosis CMV12000)
(it would be MUCH easier if pentax just allowed us to play with the K-01 firmware; if the camera can write 50 MB/s to the card, and we can control the image processor at a low level, this little thing could record RAW video too)

If you could perhaps provide a type of model number for the sensor - or exactly what cameras and run dates it was included in... I know quite the number of people at Sony; from somewhat local to at their headquarters. I'll see if it's possible to get one
04-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #282
Forum Member

it's the IMX071, it's used in the K-5, K-01, NEX-5, A57, D7000, D5100

I could also work with the IMX096 that's used in the NEX-7, A65, A77 and D3200

the 10% I've done so far is:
* define target specs
* think about how to cut corners - I've advance A LOT with this, I've got some great ideas that should speed up development big time
* contact people who can help me with this project (still waiting for some answers)
* develop and test encoder - the codec is compressed CinemaDNG - the proof-of-concept encoder is working, I originally wrote it in fortran, I've just finished porting it to C++
04-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #283
Veteran Member

* define target specs
* think about how to cut corners - I've advance A LOT with this, I've got some great ideas that should speed up development big time
* contact people who can help me with this project (still waiting for some answers)
* develop and test encoder - the codec is compressed CinemaDNG - the proof-of-concept encoder is working, I originally wrote it in fortran, I've just finished porting it to C++
Sounds like a cool project, samuel! Let me know if there's anyway I can help. So far I've proven that I'm really good at getting cameras wet...
04-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #284
Veteran Member

the BMC is 13 stops so doubt that you notice much if any difference compared to the Sony sensor.
Besides camera's like the K-01 record in h.264, what kind of DR can that capture?

If you want to record in cDNG can you then use binning, if you end up with skipping then things might not be so interesting.
04-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #285
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

* define target specs
If you figure out how to get a sub-$1000 camera to record RAW motion picture files, you might win an Oscar.