Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Does the NEX work better with K-mount lenses ? Does it have in body SR ? The NEX and K-01 both have APS-C sensors.
It's the same with the 90% of the lenses that Pentax claims are the reason to buy the K-01 system (-K -M -A -F and -FA glass). You're not changing apertures much for video anyway.

And yes, you're correct, the sensors are pretty much the same size. I thought Pentax was using a 1.6x crop sensor, I was wrong.

02-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #47
nah

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
It's the same with the 90% of the lenses that Pentax claims are the reason to buy the K-01 system (-K -M -A -F and -FA glass). You're not changing apertures much for video anyway.

And yes, you're correct, the sensors are pretty much the same size. I thought Pentax was using a 1.6x crop sensor, I was wrong.
It's funny how Pentax made Sony's sensor better than the ones they use in their cameras...
02-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #48
Banned

The Canon 7D has a smaller sensor than the K-01.

K-01 vs 7D :
Compare camera dimensions side by side
02-02-2012, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #49

No, the next cult video camera would be the Sony NEX.
It doesn't have clean HDMI out and resorts to very low bitrates. It will be fine for family videos and goofing off but not a realistic video tool.

02-02-2012, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #50

What I want to know is:

Does it have clean HDMI out at full 1080p?
Is it 4:2:0, 4:1:1, or even 4:2:2?
8 bit or 10 bit?? (It is almost certainly 8 bit)
Does it use line skipping or averaging?
If I am using the h.264 what bitrates are available to me?

If this has clean HDMI out and uses pixel averaging it will fly off of the shelves.

It would look cute as a button in a little rig with rails and a follow focus hooked up to a Takumar 50 all the while pumping out clean uncompressed hdmi to an atmos ninja.

For $750 I'll take two. Now we just need someone at Pentax to give us the lowdown.
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wheezl Quote
It doesn't have clean HDMI out and resorts to very low bitrates. It will be fine for family videos and goofing off but not a realistic video tool.
I wasn't expecting clean HDMI out, but where did you get this information about the bitrates? While shooting our video for Pentax, the video record function did not even work. Pentax was unable to give us the data-rate and we shot the video on Tuesday. I doubt much has changed with firmware in the two days since.

02-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nebulous Quote
has anything about the HDMI spec been released?
i want to be able to pull the raw video stream off the HDMI
Pentax outputs the live view signal to hdmi during video recording, i.e. a lower resolution than is recorded. The full signal is only output on playback, i.e., after compression. At least, this was the fact up until K-5. The K-01 could be different but I very much doubt it. The best use for the hdmi port is an external monitor/evf.

02-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
I wasn't expecting clean HDMI out, but where did you get this information about the bitrates? While shooting our video for Pentax, the video record function did not even work. Pentax was unable to give us the data-rate and we shot the video on Tuesday. I doubt much has changed with firmware in the two days since.
I should have been clear. I mean the NEX7 has low bitrates. I was really excited about it when it came out but the NEX7 is DOA as a serious video tool.
02-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pentax outputs the live view signal to hdmi during video recording, i.e. a lower resolution than is recorded. The full signal is only output on payback, i.e., after compression. At least, this was the fact up until K-5. The K-01 could be different but I very much doubt it. The best use for the hdmi port is an external monitor/evf.
Quite a few cameras can't maintain full resolution while recording but give full resolution while in liveview (which the K-01 will always be doing).

Since recording raw HDMI out doesn't involve the camera's recording feature the only issue is that it can output clean (no overlays) 1080p while it isn't doing anything else.
02-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wheezl Quote
Since recording raw HDMI out doesn't involve the camera's recording feature the only issue is that it can output clean (no overlays) 1080p while it isn't doing anything else.
You are technically correct. But I would still call it a " record to hdmi" function because you need all video functions enabled, i.e., iso gain etc. Some LV impementations always produce a normalized brightness. But you may call it "clean output" too.

Anyway, up to the K-5, Pentax does not support a "record to hdmi" use case.
02-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #56
Oog
Forum Member

Ooooo, the K-01. Interesting camera. A good live HDMI output would be very useful for those looking to broadcast/live stream. Specifically video AND audio. I agree with a lot of people, that this iteration has way more potential as a video camera than a still camera. With confidence, I can say that this K-01 is a ramp-up to what other products Pentax/Ricoh might have. AWESOME!!!!

And cool on resurrecting the old K font.
02-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nex has a bigger sensor, higher resolution
Same size sensor, and last time I checked the nex does a max res of 1080p same as the K-01
02-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You are technically correct. But I would still call it a " record to hdmi" function because you need all video functions enabled, i.e., iso gain etc. Some LV impementations always produce a normalized brightness. But you may call it "clean output" too.

Anyway, up to the K-5, Pentax does not support a "record to hdmi" use case.
Certainly. As all of my Pentax cameras take film, my video experience is the Canon where LV and Video mode are slightly different. Of course with my 7D it is impossible to get clean output even if video mode does 1080p HDMI out with all settings exactly as the user has them in camera. In Live View it instead boosts the ISO so you can see regardless of your exposure settings.

I'm just hoping there is a surprise here to give me a reason to love this camera.
02-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #59
cWj

back on the "if there were a K30D" thread, I stated that I'd prefer a K30 (were it to ever come to fruition) to remain a still camera and that Pentax would release a separate video dedicated k-mount body.

not exactly "prayers answered"....I still haven't seen anything about HDMI, but this seems to but about halfway to what I wanted.

This, of course, right when I finally decided to give a GH1 a try.

It would be cool if the K-01 became to amateur digital movie making what the K1000 was to amateur photography.
02-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #60
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p) features shutter speed and aperture exposure control, video autofocus control, and a built-in mono or external stereo microphone.
PENTAX - K-01 Yellow

QuoteQuote:
High-quality video recording
The Pentax K-01 features Full HD video-recording function to capture high-quality movie clips in 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels). H.264 compression format offers a choice of frame rate (30, 25 or 24 frames per second) to accommodate user-specific applications. Two new features facilitate video recording:
a video recording button for instant pushbutton start
and a stereo microphone with audio gain control and wind noise suppression for more realistic sound
Video record options are flexible, offering the photographer to select aperture or shutter exposure control, and Pentax Shake Reduction helps stabilize captured video. Users may add personal touches to recorded clips using various Custom Image modes or record subjects in a series of video clips with the Interval Movie Shooting mode. The Pentax K-01 also comes with an HDMI terminal (which allows the user to simultaneously output both Full HD movie clips and stereo sound) as well as an external microphone input terminal.
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-01-40mm-Lens-Black/dp/B00740MR78/ref=amb_link...=Pentax%20K-01