Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #76
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
The camera's back with Pentax, we only had it for a few hours. If I see it again, I'll try that.

02-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
The camera's back with Pentax, we only had it for a few hours. If I see it again, I'll try that.
I imagine the info will be out soon enough.I'd be very surprised if the question wasn't asked at CP+ next week
02-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #78
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't know if you di still have access to the camera. There is a trick you can try: When you start recording a video (even if nothing is written to the card), the rear screen will display a max. remaining recording time. This time is computed based on free cardspace or 2 GByte, whatever be smaller. So, from there you can deduce the bit rate estimate the engineers coded into the firmware.
Specs say max recording time is 25 minutes based on file size ("max record time for a single file"). Assuming FAT32 and a 4Gb file size limit, that's 21.85Mbps. That compares pretty favorably to the Panasonic GH2's 23Mbps, both AFAIK, are AVCHD H.264.
02-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #79
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Specs say max recording time is 25 minutes based on file size ("max record time for a single file"). Assuming FAT32 and a 4Gb file size limit, that's 21.85Mbps. That compares pretty favorably to the Panasonic GH2's 23Mbps, both AFAIK, are AVCHD H.264.
You can't deduce in this way. The 25 minute limit is a standard disclaimer you'll always find for all still cameras. It's standard at Pentax too. It is for import duties reasons. Whether 2 or 4GB would be hit before or after the 25 minute limit is left unspecified. On purpose.

02-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #80
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You can't deduce in this way. The 25 minute limit is a standard disclaimer you'll always find for all still cameras. It's standard at Pentax too. It is for import duties reasons. Whether 2 or 4GB would be hit before or after the 25 minute limit is left unspecified. On purpose.
Not for the Panasonic GH-2
DMC-GH2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Continuous Recording Time is from 70 - 120 minutes depending upon the battery used. There is an asterisk that leads to the following:

"For Europe, motion pictures can be recorded continuously for up to 29 minutes 59 seconds. The maximum continuous recording time (up to 29 minutes 59 seconds) is displayed on the screen."

Is that the import duties restriction that you are speaking of?
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #81
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lachine, Quebec, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 453
Official specs state that format is AVCHD H.264- question is color space compression. H.264 can support 4:2:2 color space (even 4:4:4)- but most DSLR's use 4:2:0 which makes keying at a professional level nigh on impossible.

Seriously doubt that this camera would use 4:2:2- if it did, I think it would be a pretty important marketing point. But, one can dream!
02-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #82
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Interesting details:
$36 per sample which is not much cheaper than the sensor (which I expect to run well below $100); however, in volume it may be cheaper. It uses a dual ARM processor core, but running at 288MHz, it is significantly slower than the ARM in a recent Smartphone (1000MHz) -- the power coming from a dedicated DSP image core.

The M6 seems to be a bit slow (8fps at 14MP, 5.5fps at 20MP) which is the K-5 speed. So, I wonder how Pentax made the M5 as fast as the M6 is officially, and how the M6 can serve upcoming models with their 20MP+. Esp. as Fujitsu says the M6 is 5x the speed of M5...
Don't forget that the software will be higihly optimize for it so you can't draw a straight line from all purpose device to one with a more specialize task.

RAM is probably the answer, the processing on the K5 can take a while when you fill the buffer.
The 8fps at 14MP, 5.5fps at 20MP you quote are continues rates, so you're able to shoot 6,9 fps continues with a 16mp sensor till the SD card is full.
That's quite a major speed upgrade over the K5.

Last edited by Anvh; 02-04-2012 at 05:21 AM.
02-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #83
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

Is that the import duties restriction that you are speaking of?
Yes, at 30min or more, it is considered a camcorder which has higher import duties. 25min is a safe way to stay below...

02-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #84
Forum Member
Samuel H's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 74
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Specs say max recording time is 25 minutes based on file size ("max record time for a single file"). Assuming FAT32 and a 4Gb file size limit, that's 21.85Mbps. That compares pretty favorably to the Panasonic GH2's 23Mbps, both AFAIK, are AVCHD H.264.
that's not what I'd call "favorably"
I don't want small files, if I wanted that, I'd shoot my videos with my phone
I want image quality, and that means good codec with high bitrate
22 Mbps would be close to dealbreaker
the GH2 has its loyal followers thanks to the hack that makes it record 200Mbps footage - at the standard (low) bitrate, it was an improvemet over the GH1 (17Mbps), but still somewhat problematic
02-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #85
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
that's not what I'd call "favorably"
I don't want small files, if I wanted that, I'd shoot my videos with my phone
I want image quality, and that means good codec with high bitrate
22 Mbps would be close to dealbreaker
the GH2 has its loyal followers thanks to the hack that makes it record 200Mbps footage - at the standard (low) bitrate, it was an improvemet over the GH1 (17Mbps), but still somewhat problematic
Have you shot with an unhacked GH2? What kinds of things do you shoot? What kind of devices/venues do you play your work?

I've shot documentary with an unhacked GH2 and have been quite happy with the results. One piece I shot was shown to a small group - 20+ people - projected. I wasn't there but heard nothing but good things - no criticisms of the image quality.




I've used a lot of Pentax glass (vintage and modern). I'm looking forward to seeing what the K-01 does


02-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #86
Forum Member
Samuel H's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 74
well, I haven't used it, but from what I've read, the default codec quality has some issues in very detailed scenes (the usual foliage pan that people used to hate on the GH1 and which the hacked GH2 does so well) and when the footage needs to be heavily graded

to me, 22 Mbps sounds sub-par in 2012 (e.g. I'd hope the 5D3 inherits the high-bitrate 422 codec of the 1DX)
02-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #87
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
well, I haven't used it, but from what I've read, the default codec quality has some issues in very detailed scenes (the usual foliage pan that people used to hate on the GH1 and which the hacked GH2 does so well) and when the footage needs to be heavily graded

to me, 22 Mbps sounds sub-par in 2012 (e.g. I'd hope the 5D3 inherits the high-bitrate 422 codec of the 1DX)
Whether or not it's sub-par really depends on where you plan on what you are doing. If you shooting well-lit scene for the web, the GH1 is likely fine. If you goal is documentaries for broadcast, then you've got to check with the broadcasters for their specs. If your goal is to win Internet debates, then by all means save up your pennies for the 5D3!

Personally, I aim for the best quality that I can afford, but my bigger challenge right now is the content, the story. I'm much rather have a good story at 22 Mbps than foliage at 180Mbps.
02-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #88
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Official specs state that format is AVCHD H.264- question is color space compression. H.264 can support 4:2:2 color space (even 4:4:4)- but most DSLR's use 4:2:0 which makes keying at a professional level nigh on impossible.

Seriously doubt that this camera would use 4:2:2- if it did, I think it would be a pretty important marketing point. But, one can dream!
Do you have a link to the K-01 using AVCHD format ?
02-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #89
Forum Member
Samuel H's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 74
they've said it records H.264 - AVCHD is just how Sony/Panasonic name their flavor of H.264

my use for this camera would be to shoot narrative, not always with lighting as controlled as I'd like it to be
e.g. next week I'll try to shoot this:
(that's all we got on our first try: after 10 minutes working, it started to rain, and went on all day, so we had to cancel; it was shot with a 550D/T2i - notice the ugly moire in some parts of the uniform - also, modest mistakes when shooting make color grading very difficult, as the codec tends to break if pushed too far - what I want most from my next camera is to avoid these two issues)
02-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #90
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
QuoteQuote:
they've said it records H.264 - AVCHD is just how Sony/Panasonic name their flavor of H.264
H.264 video plays in Quicktime on my Core i7 MacBook Air but AVCHD from my GH2 or TM700 does not so it's not exactly the same. BTW I like your Teaser video with the Doors soundtrack.

Last edited by jogiba; 02-05-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
control, fps, k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Cult Lens: Tokina 60-120mm f2.8 for Pentax!!! (Worldwide) davidxgreen Sold Items 11 02-16-2011 06:11 AM
K-5 or K-7 or other camera for shooting video? AlexMcCranor Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-09-2010 03:06 PM
Hitachi video camera questions chromo Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 05-29-2010 01:06 PM
K-x Vs dedicated video camera yusuf Video and Pentax HDSLRs 28 04-30-2010 05:52 PM
Video but not the K-7. Looking for advice on a video camera Peter Zack Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 09-11-2009 05:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top