Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #91
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
they've said it records H.264 - AVCHD is just how Sony/Panasonic name their flavor of H.264

my use for this camera would be to shoot narrative, not always with lighting as controlled as I'd like it to be
e.g. next week I'll try to shoot this:
(that's all we got on our first try: after 10 minutes working, it started to rain, and went on all day, so we had to cancel; it was shot with a 550D/T2i - notice the ugly moire in some parts of the uniform - also, modest mistakes when shooting make color grading very difficult, as the codec tends to break if pushed too far - what I want most from my next camera is to avoid these two issues)

You have created some beautiful shots in this piece. Honestly, your use of the Doors song immediately reminds me of the opening to Apocalypse Now. In my opinion, thought, you've created some original and intriguing imagery, and I think you're doing yourself a disservice by reminding the audience of another film. I'd recommend trying a different piece of music.

As far as moire and the codec go...you're obviously experienced, so I hope these questions aren't insulting, but:

1. Did you shoot this using the Technicolor Cinestyle? If not, you will gain some additional information in the footage that will help you in grading.

2. Was your camera's sharpening setting dialed down? The biggest cause of moire in video is in-camera sharpening.

Great work, and good luck on the project.

02-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #92
Forum Member
Samuel H's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 74
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
H.264 video plays in Quicktime on my Core i7 MacBook Air but AVCHD from my GH2 or TM700 does not so it's not exactly the same. BTW I like your Teaser video with the Doors soundtrack.
thanks
but: AVCHD is just a flavor of H.264
AVCHD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"For video compression, AVCHD uses the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (AVC) standard"

what you're saying is that your computer plays some H.264 files without problems, but has issues with others, and that's normal, mine does so too
a codec is a set of rules, and each encoder complies with them by using a different set of very specific algorithms
e.g. my computer can't play H.264 high profile 4.1 level 35 Mbps files encoded with Premiere (I don't know why, I've tried different players, it just doesn't work), but has no problems playing back H.264 high profile 4.1 level 35 Mbps files encoded with Handbrake - same codec and options, different encoder, different results (not just for quality, but also for playability)



QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
You have created some beautiful shots in this piece. Honestly, your use of the Doors song immediately reminds me of the opening to Apocalypse Now. In my opinion, thought, you've created some original and intriguing imagery, and I think you're doing yourself a disservice by reminding the audience of another film. I'd recommend trying a different piece of music.
thanks for the compliments
it was an inside joke: we only had about one minute of footage, and the teaser ends just on "this is the end"


QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
As far as moire and the codec go...you're obviously experienced, so I hope these questions aren't insulting, but:

1. Did you shoot this using the Technicolor Cinestyle? If not, you will gain some additional information in the footage that will help you in grading.

2. Was your camera's sharpening setting dialed down? The biggest cause of moire in video is in-camera sharpening.

Great work, and good luck on the project.
I shot it with Cinestyle, but I'm not using that anymore: I created my own set of Flaat picture styles, which I believe:
* deliver cleaner final images than CineStyle
* are easier to grade than other flat options, such as Marvels Cine
* on some options (Flaat_3 and Flaat_4), deliver higher dynamic range than any other picture style I've seen (at the cost of extra noise in the heavily pushed-up shadows)
http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-styles/index.html

which leads me to something else I also wanted to ask around in this forum...
does Pentax allow the use of personal picture styles?
(Canon distributes a free utility with which anybody can create new options for their personal needs, I have no idea if there's anything similar for Pentax)

Last edited by Samuel H; 02-05-2012 at 11:11 AM.
02-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #93
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,195
I could very easily see the K-01 becoming the next cult video camera...if all of you guys would quit gobbling up the cheap M42 and K mount lenses! lol Right now, the preferred DSLR for shooting video is the Canon 5D Mark II. The primary reasons it's so popular is because of it's price and it's ability to take interchangeable lenses. For the price of a 5D Mk II body, a person could get a new K-01 and a couple of GREAT zoom lenses. When you have to make every penny count, that's very serious consideration.
02-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #94
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,114
QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
they've said it records H.264 - AVCHD is just how Sony/Panasonic name their flavor of H.264

my use for this camera would be to shoot narrative, not always with lighting as controlled as I'd like it to be
e.g. next week I'll try to shoot this:
(that's all we got on our first try: after 10 minutes working, it started to rain, and went on all day, so we had to cancel; it was shot with a 550D/T2i - notice the ugly moire in some parts of the uniform - also, modest mistakes when shooting make color grading very difficult, as the codec tends to break if pushed too far - what I want most from my next camera is to avoid these two issues)
Some nice looking footage there, Samuel. You're right about grading and pushing codecs - I can't wait until RAW video comes downmarket. Regarding the moire - isn't that more a result of how the T2i is converting the APS-C image to 1080 (line skipping and binning I presume) and not directly related to Mbps?

Please let us know if you end up getting the K-01 or some other Pentax.

02-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #95
Forum Member
Samuel H's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 74
aliasing/moire in my current canon is definitely not related to bitrate

it appears because the read-out time of the Canon sensor is too slow (around 60ms), so in order to avoid getting too much rolling shutter issues, only one out of every three rows of photosites is read (to achieve a 20ms read-out time); then, from that info, a 1920x1080 image is derived, but that line-skipping generates heavy aliasing (and moire, which is a derivative of aliasing)

other manufactures do that too
(edit: some, not all; the GH2 being the best example of how this should be done: read the full sensor, downsample using a good method, probably bicubic, and you get an extremely sharp image that will only show aliasing/moire issues in the most extreme cases - read: charts designed to produce these results, and very little more)

I would expect to get rid of that with my next camera, it's a pain to fix in post
(and the other thing I want is a better codec, but that's a totally unrelated issue)

Last edited by Samuel H; 02-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.
02-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #96
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,114
QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
aliasing/moire in my current canon is definitely not related to bitrate

it appears because the read-out time of the Canon sensor is too slow (around 60ms), so in order to avoid getting too much rolling shutter issues, only one out of every three rows of photosites is read (to achieve a 20ms read-out time); then, from that info, a 1920x1080 image is derived, but that line-skipping generates heavy aliasing (and moire, which is a derivative of aliasing)

other manufactures do that too

I would expect to get rid of that with my next camera, it's a pain to fix in post
(and the other thing I want is a better codec, but that's a totally unrelated issue)
FWIW, I've never seen moire on my GH2.
02-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #97
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Well I'm interested in the difference in quality between K-5 and K-01. I don't worry about size of files, since I have plenty of storage space. Also processingspeed for my computer is no problem since I run a six-core processor. I want to make some short documentary's for local broadcasting tv. So not to fancy, but important enough for me to make a choice. Not having control over the video-settings is not to important to me, since I can controll the light and settings and it is about interviews.
02-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #98
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
Original Poster
A quote from another thread-

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax K-01 Preview - photo.net

Some important details

Pentax has confirmed to me that the K-01 will offer autofocus during video recording. However, speaking of focusing, one thing that I am happy to report is that the K-01 uses the same focus-peaking manual focus assist as is found on the Ricoh GXR Leica M module. That system is one of the best I have seen for using manually lenses on digital bodies. I think we’ve all wondered when we might start to see some of the benefits of the Ricoh-Pentax merger, and I would say that this is one of them.


The red button and green buttons are both customizable, though the red defaults to “movie record” from the factory (and most of us will probably leave it that way).


02-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #99
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
we all know that the next cult video camera is already here, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2...
02-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #100
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Sure do :-)
02-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #101
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
GH2 and K-01 , a great combo with K-mount lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
we all know that the next cult video camera is already here, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2...
I agree and have had the GH2 since Dec 2010 but the K-01 will have the advantage with my K-mount lenses with SR built-in so it will be a great companion to my GH2. The GH2 has ETC mode for an added 2.6x in 1080p30,24 and 3.9x in 720p60.


Last edited by jogiba; 02-06-2012 at 01:51 PM.
02-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #102
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
we all know that the next cult video camera is already here, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2...
I hate to say it, but probably. Some of the hacks for this camera are just insane. It's too early to tell. I think the K-01 has a lot of potential. We'll see if there aren't some great firmware update in the pipeline or if it draws some great community hacking support.
02-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #103
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Livorno, Italy
Posts: 26
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I hate to say it, but probably. Some of the hacks for this camera are just insane. It's too early to tell. I think the K-01 has a lot of potential. We'll see if there aren't some great firmware update in the pipeline or if it draws some great community hacking support.
Leaking enough information to get the hackers started wouldn't be a terrible move. The whole reason a GH2 is a viable video camera is because it was hacked.
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #104
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
Original Poster
Yes we all know the GH2 is one of the current cult video cameras.

Dont confuse "current" with "next"
02-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #105
Veteran Member
anthony mazzeri's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
K-01 be the next cult video camera?
That would be a good name for a souped-up model - K-ult, as in in ultimate.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
control, fps, k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Cult Lens: Tokina 60-120mm f2.8 for Pentax!!! (Worldwide) davidxgreen Sold Items 11 02-16-2011 06:11 AM
K-5 or K-7 or other camera for shooting video? AlexMcCranor Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-09-2010 03:06 PM
Hitachi video camera questions chromo Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 05-29-2010 01:06 PM
K-x Vs dedicated video camera yusuf Video and Pentax HDSLRs 28 04-30-2010 05:52 PM
Video but not the K-7. Looking for advice on a video camera Peter Zack Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 09-11-2009 05:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top