Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-01 be the next cult video camera?

With the specs now revealed-
featuring full manual control Full HD 1080p video capture at 30/25/24 FPS with h.264 compression (60/50/35/24 FPS at 720p) features shutter speed and aperture exposure control, video autofocus control.

This could be the next big thing in the video camera world.
Im thinking about gettting one just for video!
Anyone feel the same?
Discuss!

02-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It certainly looks that way, throw on a loupe and tadaaa...
02-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does seem tuned more for video than anything. Loosing several of the K-5 features for still photography while adding video features certainly targets a different audience. Does it do those well enough to excite videographers?
02-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Being smaller and lighter than the average DSLR would give it more potential for mounting possibilties too.
I would also expect to see third party housings being made too.

02-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

At the specs the OP quoted, no. There are already other cameras on the market which beat the specs of the K-01.

Will it shoot video (and probably better than the K-5)? Yes. Cult video camera? No way.

Jason
02-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Re: Video- I didn't see any mentioned of manual exposure control. Or about the external audio input- manual or AGC? I'm glad Pentax is improving their video capability... but the exposure thing is pretty big. Would love to know about that.
02-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
External Mic teminal and audio level control is listed in the official spec sheet PDF.
And full manual control was mentioned in the hands-on video.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 02-02-2012 at 07:06 AM.
02-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Banned

Ok , I'm sold with the video features !

I have tons of Pentax glass and I shoot more video than stills so I will get it as soon as it's available.
02-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
External Mic teminal is listed in the official spec sheet PDF.
And full manual control was mentioned in the hands-on video.
So someone actually paid attention then. almost all the Video features address 95% of the complaints about video on the DSLRs
hoodman loupe on the back and the da 40 on the front and it will be a pretty good video option (and the ability to use focus peaking withmy manual lenses .... I may well have to get one
02-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
With the specs now revealed-
featuring full manual control Full HD 1080p video capture at 30/25/24 FPS with h.264 compression (60/50/35/24 FPS at 720p) features shutter speed and aperture exposure control, video autofocus control.
QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
Re: Video- I didn't see any mentioned of manual exposure control.
The hands-on video mentions "gain control, video manual full control, audio-level control". Although I am not sure about the word marked in italic.

So, for video autofocus control, I don't know if this is known yet. But it seems to have manual video and audio controls which is a good thing. Paired with stereo mics and an HDMI port.

However, it lacks mounting rails on the rear screen for a loupe (something Marx Newson could have thought about w/o any VF ...).

It could be an interesting video camera if there is a third party EVF using HDMI and hot-show flash power. But I've never found one. Also, there are no silent power zooms (and unlike with a K-5, power zooms may actually not work at all on a K-01).
02-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it has all the features you've named, I'll be ordering one for release day, but as Falk has pointed out, I don't think we've seen any documentation on the video capabilities yet.

Last edited by Clinton; 02-02-2012 at 08:14 AM.
02-02-2012, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #12

Photos: Albums
I am excited about the k-01. I never knew this Pentax crowd was so hard to please.
02-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think as a video platform, yes, it just might become cult. The video is the only part that interests me since I already own a K5. If the specs are truly manual control, then I will probably buy it since it uses the batteries and other bits I already have.

Since I make a yearly international trek in the autumn, and since it doesn't appear that the K5 replacement is coming this year in time - or the FF DSLR - the KO-1 may just become my 2012 purchase instead of lugging around a K10D as my backup.

A KO1 makes more sense as a backup to my K5 and an additional video platform.
02-02-2012, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #14

First post, hopefully it won't be the last...

As someone that's used the 5d2 extensively for stills and video over the last 3 years, this is the backup camera I've been waiting for. If the K01 has the features listed and no major jello issues I will be buying one as a "B" cam to my 5d2. I'm new to Pentax and I really wanted to get a K5 for the shake reduction and fabulous DR, but I shoot stills and video so full manual control over exposure and 1080p/24 is a must. If this camera allows for that - PLUS - focus peaking and a mic input this could set the bar for APS-C cameras - depending on video quality. AF capability while shooting is no big deal since you generally have to lock down focus to keep it from hunting while shooting, and there's the noise lenses generate while focusing. It still ticks all the video boxes for a hybrid still/video camera.

I was considering the Fuji Xpro1, but for the price with just one lens I could easily get another 5d2 body and it appears that video is an afterthought from reading the manual. I have a Nex5n that I really like, but it lacks physical buttons, a hotshoe, a mic input, and any sort of stabilization outside of one pretty good 18-55mm kit lens. The Nex7 ticks a few more boxes than the 5n, but it still misses the mark with that damn Sony hotshoe that requires a $189 adapter to use every other hotshoe mounted device on the planet, which drives the price up. Grrrr... The Nex7 has no stabilization either.

The big advantage the K01 has over all other cameras on the market is the shake reduction - the ability to get some IBIS while shooting video is huge since all other options are lens based and the still camera form factor is the most stable while shooting video. Kudos to Pentax for not leaving anything out and coming to market at a reasonable price - Fuji should fear this camera. The lack of a viewfinder is the only real negative, but I always use a Z-finder or a external monitor so I can live with that, still-only shooters opinions may differ. Pending full tests, my X100 and 5n may be on the way out the door and my Zeiss lenses may soon have a new home.
02-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Bye Bye Fujifilm X-01