Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisjoy Quote
First post, hopefully it won't be the last...

As someone that's used the 5d2 extensively for stills and video over the last 3 years, this is the backup camera I've been waiting for. If the K01 has the features listed and no major jello issues I will be buying one as a "B" cam to my 5d2. I'm new to Pentax and I really wanted to get a K5 for the shake reduction and fabulous DR, but I shoot stills and video so full manual control over exposure and 1080p/24 is a must. If this camera allows for that - PLUS - focus peaking and a mic input this could set the bar for APS-C cameras - depending on video quality. AF capability while shooting is no big deal since you generally have to lock down focus to keep it from hunting while shooting, and there's the noise lenses generate while focusing. It still ticks all the video boxes for a hybrid still/video camera.

I was considering the Fuji Xpro1, but for the price with just one lens I could easily get another 5d2 body and it appears that video is an afterthought from reading the manual. I have a Nex5n that I really like, but it lacks physical buttons, a hotshoe, a mic input, and any sort of stabilization outside of one pretty good 18-55mm kit lens. The Nex7 ticks a few more boxes than the 5n, but it still misses the mark with that damn Sony hotshoe that requires a $189 adapter to use every other hotshoe mounted device on the planet, which drives the price up. Grrrr... The Nex7 has no stabilization either.

The big advantage the K01 has over all other cameras on the market is the shake reduction - the ability to get some IBIS while shooting video is huge since all other options are lens based and the still camera form factor is the most stable while shooting video. Kudos to Pentax for not leaving anything out and coming to market at a reasonable price - Fuji should fear this camera. The lack of a viewfinder is the only real negative, but I always use a Z-finder or a external monitor so I can live with that, still-only shooters opinions may differ. Pending full tests, my X100 and 5n may be on the way out the door and my Zeiss lenses may soon have a new home.

You can also get zeiss lenses meant for this cam

02-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the K01 has the features listed and no major jello issues I will be buying one as a "B" cam to my 5d2. I'm new to Pentax and I really wanted to get a K5 for the shake reduction and fabulous DR, but I shoot stills and video so full manual control over exposure and 1080p/24 is a must. If this camera allows for that - PLUS - focus peaking and a mic input this could set the bar for APS-C cameras - depending on video quality.
+1. Well thought out, and some of the same reasons I'd be interested in the K-01.
02-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

First post, hopefully it won't be the last...

As someone that's used the 5d2 extensively for stills and video over the last 3 years, this is the backup camera I've been waiting for. If the K01 has the features listed and no major jello issues I will be buying one as a "B" cam to my 5d2. I'm new to Pentax and I really wanted to get a K5 for the shake reduction and fabulous DR, but I shoot stills and video so full manual control over exposure and 1080p/24 is a must. If this camera allows for that - PLUS - focus peaking and a mic input this could set the bar for APS-C cameras - depending on video quality. AF capability while shooting is no big deal since you generally have to lock down focus to keep it from hunting while shooting, and there's the noise lenses generate while focusing. It still ticks all the video boxes for a hybrid still/video camera.

I was considering the Fuji Xpro1, but for the price with just one lens I could easily get another 5d2 body and it appears that video is an afterthought from reading the manual. I have a Nex5n that I really like, but it lacks physical buttons, a hotshoe, a mic input, and any sort of stabilization outside of one pretty good 18-55mm kit lens. The Nex7 ticks a few more boxes than the 5n, but it still misses the mark with that damn Sony hotshoe that requires a $189 adapter to use every other hotshoe mounted device on the planet, which drives the price up. Grrrr... The Nex7 has no stabilization either.

The big advantage the K01 has over all other cameras on the market is the shake reduction - the ability to get some IBIS while shooting video is huge since all other options are lens based and the still camera form factor is the most stable while shooting video. Kudos to Pentax for not leaving anything out and coming to market at a reasonable price - Fuji should fear this camera. The lack of a viewfinder is the only real negative, but I always use a Z-finder or a external monitor so I can live with that, still-only shooters opinions may differ. Pending full tests, my X100 and 5n may be on the way out the door and my Zeiss lenses may soon have a new home.
Thanks for this post - coming from an outside perspective this says a lot. Like others, I'm a K-5/K20D shooter and am not enthralled with the vid capabilities of the K-5. The K-01 might be the perfect complement to the K-5; then I could convert the K20 to infrared and have an amazing stable of Pentax cameras.
02-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Forum Member

The video specs look fantastic, however Pentax was unable to give me any idea of the data rate while recording. Once I get a chance to use a production camera, I'll let you all know my thoughts.

02-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
The video specs look fantastic, however Pentax was unable to give me any idea of the data rate while recording.
Yes, it seems everything related to Prime M processing isn't revealed yet (buffer sizes, stream rate, AF performance etc.). However, knowing that Pentax used rather high bitrates with MJPEG, I am somewhat optimistic on this particular detail.
02-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
If it has all the features you've named, I'll be ordering one for release day, but as Falk has pointed out, I don't think we've seen any documentation on the video capabilities yet.
well on the Pentax site
Movie (resolution/FPS): 1920x1080p30/25/24, 1280x720p60/50/30/25/24, 640x480p30/25/24
Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p) features shutter speed and aperture exposure control, video autofocus control, and a built-in mono or external stereo microphone.

Not sure if the Focus Peaking works in video but that would be damn handy with a nice tak 50 1.4 on the front

If I buy this it will be in a good chunk due to the video, but i like it so far
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
Forum Member

that sensor looks very very nice indeed, I've never had a Pentax, and never pictured myself moving to this camp, but it could be an interesting option if the details are fine

and we all know the devil is in the details...
I'd need to know:
* much more about the codec (color subsampling, bitrate, real world samples)
* controls (anything mandatory auto and it's a dealbreaker; it has to be easy to change settings too)
* picture styles (14 stops of DR in RAW stills may translate to 8 or 9 in video if they only offer the usual consumer-friendly, poppy options)

and also: which manual lenses can I use on Pentax-K mount? my glass collection is mostly vintage Leitz for Leica-R, and I see there are interchangeable lens mounts on ebay - do those work fine? are there regular adapters too? I've seen nothing for Nikon glass, which could be a small issue

02-02-2012, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Psyched about this! Looks like pentax finally nailed it with the video. Do we know that this is the same sensor as the K-5? If so, this is going to be a video crushing machine. The K-5 always had great looking video, but it's lack of controls made it hard to use in any kind of serious filmmaking environment. If this little cam was weathersealed, it would be my new main camera. But since much of what I do is adventure based, I will still be relying on the K-5 and my primary camera for still, and probably my B camera for video. K-01 will be A cam for video from here on out. That is, until the K-5 gets a super bad ass replacement.
02-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
that sensor looks very very nice indeed, I've never had a Pentax, and never pictured myself moving to this camp, but it could be an interesting option if the details are fine

and we all know the devil is in the details...
I'd need to know:
* much more about the codec (color subsampling, bitrate, real world samples)
* controls (anything mandatory auto and it's a dealbreaker; it has to be easy to change settings too)
* picture styles (14 stops of DR in RAW stills may translate to 8 or 9 in video if they only offer the usual consumer-friendly, poppy options)

and also: which manual lenses can I use on Pentax-K mount? my glass collection is mostly vintage Leitz for Leica-R, and I see there are interchangeable lens mounts on ebay - do those work fine? are there regular adapters too? I've seen nothing for Nikon glass, which could be a small issue
The Leitax adaptors work well for the first 2, old Nikon glass will actually fit on without an adapter
02-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Psyched about this! Looks like pentax finally nailed it with the video. Do we know that this is the same sensor as the K-5? If so, this is going to be a video crushing machine. The K-5 always had great looking video, but it's lack of controls made it hard to use in any kind of serious filmmaking environment. If this little cam was weathersealed, it would be my new main camera. But since much of what I do is adventure based, I will still be relying on the K-5 and my primary camera for still, and probably my B camera for video. K-01 will be A cam for video from here on out. That is, until the K-5 gets a super bad ass replacement.
thing is since this tech is coming here no reason to think it won't be in the k30 that is rumoured for spring (kr replacement with the same sensor as this likely) or the K5 replacement in september (or for that matter the rumoured FF) In the case of the last 2 we probably will see additional features that are crippled here. the core system seems to cross most Models at pentax (and should since it spreads the development costs)
It just looks like it will be an exciting year at Pentax to me.
02-02-2012, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #26

Photos: Albums
has anything about the HDMI spec been released?
i want to be able to pull the raw video stream off the HDMI, the new nikon D4 is supposed to have that capability. If the K-01 gets/has it then i think it could be the next cult video cam, but with out it i dont really see anything that special about the video capabilities. its just another APSC with H.264 and nothing topping 60fps, big woop.
02-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nebulous Quote
has anything about the HDMI spec been released?
i want to be able to pull the raw video stream off the HDMI, the new nikon D4 is supposed to have that capability. If the K-01 gets/has it then i think it could be the next cult video cam, but with out it i dont really see anything that special about the video capabilities. its just another APSC with H.264 and nothing topping 60fps, big woop.
Also, can they update the firmware to allow the mini HDMI port to serve as a connection for a hotshoe EVF?
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Video is the only thing it's useful for, actually. AF on video and exposure/shutter speed control are good features. As a still camera, though, without any OVF/EVF it's a complete failure.

I don't see why Pentax didn't put a VF in it, TAv mode, and have both a decent still and video camera. That's been the main gripe with the latest DSLRs for a while, the lack of video functions.

They kinda release a product no one asked for.
02-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting in that the K01 is the camera I was looking for when I had my K7.
Because it wasn't out, I sold the K7 and bought the K5.

I'm warming up to the idea - as the day progresses - to buy this camera as my video-B camera. I already have spare K5 batteries and it would be great to have another video platform ready to go when I am shooting.

I agree with the external monitor, as I have been toying with the idea of the Zacuto EVF and the K01 and a Zacuto would be perfect - and I could use the Zacuto on the K5.

Hmmm...as the day goes on it becomes more interesting.
02-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have tons of Pentax glass and I shoot more video than stills so I will get it as soon as it's available.
You're the first one to put forth, what is for me, a compelling reason that you will be buying the K-01. Others just want the newest (NOT ABOVE THAT MYSELF) from their posts. I still see this as principally a video tool with very good still camera capacity. Perhaps the output that will be posted in the future will show me that its as good as my K-5 in the still photo arena but I'm waiting to see. If I were shooting more video than still I'd be all over this because it can take my K lenses and its way better, based on the specs so far, than the K-5 in the video arena.