Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's already February and no K5 replacement or FF DSLR has been named, so I can easily recover the cost of the K01 in the time until they come along.

02-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Also, can they update the firmware to allow the mini HDMI port to serve as a connection for a hotshoe EVF?
Can't imagine why they could not do so. I still don't understand the need for the housing bump for the popup flash instead of something that would slide off and could be either a flash or a viewfinder.
02-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I don't think the K-01 will be the next cult video camera. If anything the Panasonic GH2 has probably taken that title. Especially since you can mount just about any lens to it, plus there are firmware tweaks that up the bitrate to crazy amounts. I can see the excitement in finally having a native K-mount that can shoot at the various resolutions, but to me, Pentax is still playing catch up. Panasonic, Sony, Nikon, and Canon have already been there, done that, and should be moving to 4K video in their future offerings.
02-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #34
Forum Member

the GH2 has become a cult video camera because of the clean, sharp, detailed image thanks to the hack

could this be the next one? yes, but for completely different reasons: as long as the image is moderately clean and sharp, the codec is not a problem, and controls are useable, what could set this one apart are dynamic range and tonal range
I don't need ultra-detailed images (and even less, 4K), in that respect just a minor improvement over my current Canon would be enough for me

in any case, line skipping, aliasing and moire won't cut it anymore in the video world in 2012

02-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You're the first one to put forth, what is for me, a compelling reason that you will be buying the K-01. Others just want the newest (NOT ABOVE THAT MYSELF) from their posts. I still see this as principally a video tool with very good still camera capacity. Perhaps the output that will be posted in the future will show me that its as good as my K-5 in the still photo arena but I'm waiting to see. If I were shooting more video than still I'd be all over this because it can take my K lenses and its way better, based on the specs so far, than the K-5 in the video arena.
This is typical Pentax marketing fail. Here they release a pretty decent video tool (not quite breakthrough, but a very wide array of existing lenses) and they're going to let dpreview pan it as a still photo tool.

Bah. And fark Hoya, too.
02-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
the GH2 has become a cult video camera because of the clean, sharp, detailed image thanks to the hack

line skipping, aliasing and moire won't cut it anymore in the video world in 2012
That's what I'm thinking as well. I've kept my 5n and held off on a GH2 to evaluate what's in the pipeline -- the new Olympus, the Xpro1 and the K01.
02-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote

could this be the next one? yes, but for completely different reasons: as long as the image is moderately clean and sharp, the codec is not a problem, and controls are useable, what could set this one apart are dynamic range and tonal range
I don't need ultra-detailed images (and even less, 4K), in that respect just a minor improvement over my current Canon would be enough for me

in any case, line skipping, aliasing and moire won't cut it anymore in the video world in 2012
Not to mention the K-01's price puts it in the realistic range for a lot more people. Nice to start seeing some affordable video options capable of good results for aspiring and student film makers/video shooters.

02-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The red button appears to be a dedicated Video button from some of the material on the Pentax UK site. The video from The Camera Store indicated that the red and green were user defined so perhaps it can be retasked but it seems to be shipped set to be a video button.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
02-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member

The red button appears to be a dedicated Video button from some of the material on the Pentax UK site. The video from The Camera Store indicated that the red and green were user defined so perhaps it can be retasked but it seems to be shipped set to be a video button.
Yes, and this will hopefully help with one of my major K-5 complaints -- trying to switch to video mode to picture mode to back again with that K-5 lock dial. As a journalist this has put me in a bind several times trying to switch back and forth during live events.
02-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #40
Forum Member

The Red button defaults to video recording. If you are not using the video functions, it can be reprogrammed.
02-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #41
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I don't think the K-01 will be the next cult video camera. If anything the Panasonic GH2 has probably taken that title. Especially since you can mount just about any lens to it, plus there are firmware tweaks that up the bitrate to crazy amounts. I can see the excitement in finally having a native K-mount that can shoot at the various resolutions, but to me, Pentax is still playing catch up. Panasonic, Sony, Nikon, and Canon have already been there, done that, and should be moving to 4K video in their future offerings.
I have the GH2 but the K-01 should work great with SR like my K-7. I am glad I waited for the K-01 and not purchased the K-5 since I shoot more video than stills.
02-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #42

No, the next cult video camera would be the Sony NEX. Not only does the NEX's short register distance enable a lot more adapted glass including cine lenses that offer wider perspective, but the NEX has features like focus peaking to help you operate the lens during the recording. It's smaller, has a bigger sensor, higher resolution, has an addon/permanent EVF depending on the model, and has just as large a library of legacy lenses through the Alpha AF adapter. This is an overpriced, underspecced piece of garbage that Pentax is going to try and pawn off on hipsters, instead of just releasing the FF camera the community has been screaming for.
02-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The K-01 has Focus Peaking (and probably the Ricoh variant which is very good)
the alpha adapter and add on finder kill any advantage and make the nex cumbersome. a serious video shooter will want a bigger better evf like the Zacuto models and will mount the body on a steady cam
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #44
Forum Member

I feel the same way, the video spec with separate mic input, wind cut options etc
I wish they have a EVF available, then I can put my 18-250mm for vacation videos!
02-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
No, the next cult video camera would be the Sony NEX. Not only does the NEX's short register distance enable a lot more adapted glass including cine lenses that offer wider perspective, but the NEX has features like focus peaking to help you operate the lens during the recording. It's smaller, has a bigger sensor, higher resolution, has an addon/permanent EVF depending on the model, and has just as large a library of legacy lenses through the Alpha AF adapter. This is an overpriced, underspecced piece of garbage that Pentax is going to try and pawn off on hipsters, instead of just releasing the FF camera the community has been screaming for.
Does the NEX work better with K-mount lenses ? Does it have in body SR ? The NEX and K-01 both have APS-C sensors.