Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #61

Yeah that only really scratches the surface as far as video specs.

I definitely need to know more.

02-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Quote:
High-quality video recording
The Pentax K-01 features Full HD video-recording function to capture high-quality movie clips in 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels). H.264 compression format offers a choice of frame rate (30, 25 or 24 frames per second) to accommodate user-specific applications. Two new features facilitate video recording:
a video recording button for instant pushbutton start
and a stereo microphone with audio gain control and wind noise suppression for more realistic sound
Video record options are flexible, offering the photographer to select aperture or shutter exposure control, and Pentax Shake Reduction helps stabilize captured video. Users may add personal touches to recorded clips using various Custom Image modes or record subjects in a series of video clips with the Interval Movie Shooting mode. The Pentax K-01 also comes with an HDMI terminal (which allows the user to simultaneously output both Full HD movie clips and stereo sound) as well as an external microphone input terminal.
Has anyone actually seen the words "Manual Video Controls" anywhere? I haven't yet, even though people keep saying it has them. This sentence more to me like it has Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority, but you can't control both at once. And I haven't any mentions anywhere about being able to control ISO/Gain. I would be blown away if they dropped the ball on this, and I doubt that they did. But still, I haven't seen any direct references to Manual controls.

Also, that reference to the HDMI output sounds more ot me like playback. I got excited when I saw the word simultaneous, but then I kept reading. It would be nice to be able to pull an uncompressed HDMI feed for either recording or for full 1080p monitors, while still having the rear LCD getting a signal. Unlike how all DSLRs at the moment kill the back screen when you plug in an external monitor.
02-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #63

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Also, can they update the firmware to allow the mini HDMI port to serve as a connection for a hotshoe EVF?
i dont quite understand what you mean by a "hotshoe evf", any hdmi evf can be hooked up to any hdmi as long as it supports the correct scaling. unless the evf can communicate with the camera via the hotshoe giving the HUD as an overlay ontop of the uncompressed video out that is then passed through to a pix240 or something of that nature.
02-02-2012, 09:02 PM - 3 Likes   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Has anyone actually seen the words "Manual Video Controls" anywhere? I haven't yet, even though people keep saying it has them. This sentence more to me like it has Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority, but you can't control both at once. And I haven't any mentions anywhere about being able to control ISO/Gain. I would be blown away if they dropped the ball on this, and I doubt that they did. But still, I haven't seen any direct references to Manual controls.
I've used the camera, and there is full manual control in video mode. It just needs to be enabled in the menu and the dial must be set to 'M'. Then you can control shutter speed, aperture, ISO, audio levels, and white balance.

02-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
I've used the camera, and there is full manual control in video mode. It just needs to be enabled in the menu and the dial must be set to 'M'. Then you can control shutter speed, aperture, ISO, audio levels, and white balance.
Baller.
02-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you!
02-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes, it seems everything related to Prime M processing isn't revealed yet (buffer sizes, stream rate, AF performance etc.). However, knowing that Pentax used rather high bitrates with MJPEG, I am somewhat optimistic on this particular detail.
It's mst likely the Fujitsu Milbeaut M6 they are using.
The upcoming DSLR will also have this chip most likely so i'm waiting to see what the K5 replacement will offer, probably the video mode will be the same.

Milbeaut Imaging Processors : Fujitsu Global
The M7 looks like a real step up though, i wonder when it will be released.

02-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Thanks for the link. Fujitsu is relatively tigh-lipped about their Milbeaut image processors, so this press release is a good source of information.

Using its full name (MB91696AM), I found a number add'nl resources:

Fujitsu Releases 6th Generation of Milbeaut Imaging Processors : FUJITSU SEMICONDUCTOR
Fujitsu's next-gen Milbeaut image processor does single-chip Hi-Vision video, 20MP stills -- Engadget

Interesting details:
$36 per sample which is not much cheaper than the sensor (which I expect to run well below $100); however, in volume it may be cheaper. It uses a dual ARM processor core, but running at 288MHz, it is significantly slower than the ARM in a recent Smartphone (1000MHz) -- the power coming from a dedicated DSP image core.

The M6 seems to be a bit slow (8fps at 14MP, 5.5fps at 20MP) which is the K-5 speed. So, I wonder how Pentax made the M5 as fast as the M6 is officially, and how the M6 can serve upcoming models with their 20MP+. Esp. as Fujitsu says the M6 is 5x the speed of M5...

Last edited by falconeye; 02-03-2012 at 05:21 AM.
02-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #69
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The upcoming DSLR will also have this chip most likely so i'm waiting to see what the K5 replacement will offer, probably the video mode will be the same.

Milbeaut Imaging Processors : Fujitsu Global
The M7 looks like a real step up though, i wonder when it will be released.
Wait five more years when most cameras will have 4K video. But for now the K-01 is the best APS-C camera for full 1080p HD video with K-mount lenses.
02-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by wheezl Quote
What I want to know is:

Does it have clean HDMI out at full 1080p?
Is it 4:2:0, 4:1:1, or even 4:2:2?
8 bit or 10 bit?? (It is almost certainly 8 bit)
Does it use line skipping or averaging?
If I am using the h.264 what bitrates are available to me?

If this has clean HDMI out and uses pixel averaging it will fly off of the shelves.

It would look cute as a button in a little rig with rails and a follow focus hooked up to a Takumar 50 all the while pumping out clean uncompressed hdmi to an atmos ninja.

For $750 I'll take two. Now we just need someone at Pentax to give us the lowdown.
+1

I think the K01 has potential, but we'll have to wait for real world samples and actual comparisons against some of the others. There's a significant upgrade spec-wise in video capability compared to the K5, but no tilt/swivel LCD is a big omission IMHO. Of course that would have added to the weight and possibly the size of an already slightly chunky camera. When I use my Nex 5n, I'm always holding the lens with my left hand at about chest level with my elbow locked into the side of my torso for stability - to me without a viewfinder - this is the most comfortable way to shoot handheld. The shooting ergonomics will be a bit awkward with the K01. Even when on a tripod, the 5d2 is more of a pain than the Nex because I'm always squatting and bending to see the LCD when focusing. The tilt on the Nex makes that a lot easier - and a tilt/swivel like the 60d/T3i/GH2 is even better. From a video producer standpoint this camera will have to be pretty damn impressive in the video department to convince buyers not to get a Nex, T3i or a GH2.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if I do get one it will be black/yellow.

Last edited by chrisjoy; 02-03-2012 at 08:58 AM.
02-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #71
Forum Member

nice, thanks for sharing!!

I suppose you're not allowed to talk about codec details...

edit: maybe you can talk about line skipping and aliasing/moire?

Last edited by Samuel H; 02-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.
02-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Yes, yes, me too wanting to know codec details... this would be a dream buy as I have some really great manual glass in K-mount (both Pentax and Tammy) and my friends and I are doing more video- would love to know if the codec has adjustable color space compression, since we're working with greenscreen/keying footage, and 4:2:0 is tough to key (although just worked on a project shot on consumer HDV, that was a real nightmare)- being able to sacrifice storage space for higher quality video at 4:2:2 (dreaming of 4:4:4) would make this the killer solution for video work, even though no articulated screen!
02-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #73
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
nice, thanks for sharing!!

I suppose you're not allowed to talk about codec details...

edit: maybe you can talk about line skipping and aliasing/moire?
Unfortunately, I have no idea of the codec details. The camera would look like it was shooting video, but nothing was written to card. Once I get clarification from Pentax, I'll post it here.
02-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the codec details. The camera would look like it was shooting video, but nothing was written to card. Once I get clarification from Pentax, I'll post it here.
this should therefore be under

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173678-k-01-problems.html

02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if you di still have access to the camera. There is a trick you can try: When you start recording a video (even if nothing is written to the card), the rear screen will display a max. remaining recording time. This time is computed based on free cardspace or 2 GByte, whatever be smaller. So, from there you can deduce the bit rate estimate the engineers coded into the firmware.