Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Canon DSLRs have no EVF just like the K-01.
Of course not, they have a mirror. The K-01 has not. A competitor to a full frame HDSLR in APSC land would be NEX-VG20.

02-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #122
Veteran Member

The VG20 is an interesting case. I have looked into the VG10 and the VG20; on paper, they look like they should be very serious options. The reviews have been pretty terrible, though. The VG10 didn't have a very good selection of frame rates, and I can't remember what the issue with the VG20 was. I'm actually shocked that nobody has created a dedicated video camera to replace the HDSLR yet.

The Panasonic AF100 would be the closest thing I can think of, but most people who have used it (from my experience) don't think it's a good value for the money.

I went to a Canon presentation of their C300 a couple of nights ago. That camera has some staggering potential, and it will be interesting to see how much of its technology trickles down to their slrs.
02-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #123
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Of course not, they have a mirror. The K-01 has not. A competitor to a full frame HDSLR in APSC land would be NEX-VG20.
How is the NEX-VG20 a competitor to a FF HDSLR ? The K-01 HD videos should look about the same as HD videos from the NEX-VG20 since both have 16mp Sony APS-C sensors. Well I guess since the K-01 does not have a mirror like Canon DSLRs videos will look bad.
02-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
The VG20 is an interesting case. I have looked into the VG10 and the VG20; on paper, they look like they should be very serious options. The reviews have been pretty terrible, though.
How is the NEX-VG20 a competitor to a FF HDSLR ? The K-01 HD videos should look about the same as HD videos from the NEX-VG20 since both have 16mp Sony APS-C sensors.
Somehow, posters above don't want to understand what I am going to say here. So, this is the last time I am commenting this ...

My comment was about how a serious video camera ought to look like. It would have a full frame sensor (for shallow DoF and low light capabilities), silent focus and zoom options, a decent EVF, follow focus and AF features, low compressed output, constant shake reduction, a good ergonomy to steady handhold during video and a couple more features.

Because such a thing currently does not exist, people fix what is missing in offers which do exist. E.g., they attach rig and ext. EVFs to full frame SLRs, or hack firmware to get higher bitrates etc.

I hope, you now see how ridiculous an argument is along the lines that some ommission is replicated in another offer, like a lack of EVF in mirrored SLRs (for abvious reasons) or bad video output in offers with otherwise good ergonomy.

Dropping an EVF in a K-01 if meant to be a video camera is an ommission w/o excuse for. So, it wasn't meant for video.

And this explaination was long enough to get the logic of my argument across. So, I'll remain silent about the topic from now on.

02-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My comment was about how a serious video camera ought to look like. It would have a full frame sensor (for shallow DoF and low light capabilities), silent focus and zoom options, a decent EVF, follow focus and AF features, low compressed output, constant shake reduction, a good ergonomy to steady handhold during video and a couple more features.

Because such a thing currently does not exist...
So no "serious" video camera has ever existed? LOL Yeah...maybe you're right. You ought to stop posting.
02-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Somehow, posters above don't want to understand what I am going to say here. So, this is the last time I am commenting this ...
Falk, it was a misunderstanding. I simply did not realize that was what you were saying. I've really enjoyed reading your posts over the last year or that I've been on the forum.
02-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #127
Forum Member

I have a Canon DSLR which I use only for shooting video
it has an optical viewfinder, but it can't be used in video mode (the mirror blocks it), so, for me, it might just as well not have it
read: K-01
this new camera has exactly the same viewfinder options for shooting video as almost any video DSLR so far (the exception would be the GH2 and the new Sony cameras, both NEX and SLT; apart from those, it's only LCD and HDMI-out)

over at dvxuser, I've actually wished out loud that Canon would sell a version of the upcoming 5D3 (or 5DX) without the mirrorbox, phase-detect AF, wireless flash trigger, etc, for $500 to $1000 less

02-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
I have a Canon DSLR which I use only for shooting video
it has an optical viewfinder, but it can't be used in video mode (the mirror blocks it), so, for me, it might just as well not have it
read: K-01
this new camera has exactly the same viewfinder options for shooting video as almost any video DSLR so far (the exception would be the GH2 and the new Sony cameras, both NEX and SLT; apart from those, it's only LCD and HDMI-out)

over at dvxuser, I've actually wished out loud that Canon would sell a version of the upcoming 5D3 (or 5DX) without the mirrorbox, phase-detect AF, wireless flash trigger, etc, for $500 to $1000 less
I would buy that camera in a heartbeat.
02-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Because such a thing currently does not exist, people fix what is missing in offers which do exist. E.g., they attach rig and ext. EVFs to full frame SLRs, or hack firmware to get higher bitrates etc.

I hope, you now see how ridiculous an argument is along the lines that some ommission is replicated in another offer, like a lack of EVF in mirrored SLRs (for abvious reasons) or bad video output in offers with otherwise good ergonomy.

Dropping an EVF in a K-01 if meant to be a video camera is an ommission w/o excuse for. So, it wasn't meant for video.

And this explaination was long enough to get the logic of my argument across. So, I'll remain silent about the topic from now on.
true, I have to say overall ergonomy is very important for whether it is a good video cam. it is not just about video quality, sensor size kind thing. people use dlsr to shoot video because they are mainly photographer who also like shoot video. if people only do video, no photography, I think they will choose a dedicated video cam. or perheps people do not have budget, so choose a less expensive dslr for video. a Panasonic af100 cost 4500, but a gh2 only cost 900.

but one thing I disagree, it does not have to be full frame size sensor. APS-C and m4/3 sensor are enough to get the shallow dof people want. APS-C and M4/3 are essentially equivalent to Super35 and Academy motion picture formats

Last edited by liukaitc; 02-12-2012 at 04:32 AM.
02-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
but one thing I disagree, it does not have to be full frame size sensor.
I agree, it is the least important feature, with Super35 being APSC basically. It is only recently with the 5DmkII that people started to like it a lot ...
02-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #131
Banned

QuoteQuote:
That would cost $20,000 compared to the K-01 that cost $749. I am not in the market for a $20,000 FF serious video camera but I will pay $749 for a camera that has SR for my K-mount lenses and h.264 in 1080p30,25,24 & 720p60.
02-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I'm actually shocked that nobody has created a dedicated video camera to replace the HDSLR yet.
It's called the Sony FS-100, and people seem to love it. Image quality that will crush a 5DmkII, better lowlight performance, significantly less moire/jello problems, better codecs, manual everything, audio monitoring, XLR inputs, uncompressed HMDI out, more framerate options, 1080p/60, not really that big, adapters for just about any lens you could want, and more for only $5k. Yes please. As soon as I get the money, that's my next camera.
02-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #133
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I'm actually shocked that nobody has created a dedicated video camera to replace the HDSLR yet.

02-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #134
Veteran Member

The FS100, AF100, and C300 are all far too expensive to be considered replacements for SLRs. The VG20 is competitive, in terms of price, but I've never met anyone who has even used it. I honestly don't know why it isn't more popular. Maybe it's the selection of lenses.

Competitive video cameras would come in at different price points, and give people a reason to buy them instead of, for example, a GH2, T2i, 7D, or 5D. To my knowledge, this really hasn't happened with any of the dedicated video cameras.

To think of it another way, I don't think there are many people out there who are torn between buying either a T2i or "x" camera. The T2i has its strengths, and dedicated video cameras have their strengths, and there isn't a ton of overlap.
02-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #135
Forum Member

I agree, it is the least important feature, with Super35 being APSC basically. It is only recently with the 5DmkII that people started to like it a lot ...
I've never shot video seriously, but I used to shoot 16mm. I would prefer the APSC size for doing serious work these days. It's a good compromise when it comes to DOF management. It's pretty easy to have a shallow DOF with the right lens and subject distance, but it's also pretty easy to have a really deep DOF too. The quality of the sensors are remarkable these days.