Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #226
Forum Member

I must say I'm one of those new forum members that came to share my enthusiasm - and see me now...
in any case, there's a difference from the original bashing (it doesn't have a viewfinder!!) and the new bashing (codec is not good enough, hdmi-out only works for playback), specially in the context of this thread

03-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
I must say I'm one of those new forum members that came to share my enthusiasm - and see me now...
Forums are like this. Over-excited or over-disappointed. Get used to it

For instance, read this:
QuoteQuote:
So is Canon DSLR video dead?
For a lot of people it is going to be and I suspect Canon want it to be that way
[source: Panasonic GH2 vs 5D Mark III | EOSHD.com ]

So, you see the grass isn't greener elsewhere.
03-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #228
Forum Member

so far I'm also disappointed with the 5D3 and the D800 - and I'm not crazy about the GH2 either
(e.g. the 5D3 has more DR in stills mode, but in video mode it tops out at exactly the same point as my old rebel, at around 11.5 stops)

but I'm not of the destructive kind: inspired by the D-Bolex guys, I'm actually starting design of my own camera; tough job, but there's a nice prize if I can make it work - it will use the same sensor as the K-01, btw
(and I see Pentax uses DNG files; if anyone has experience coding software that reads and/or writes these files, and has time to play camera designer, send me a PM!)
(of course, if a Pentax employee reads this and has some interest, everything would be A LOT easier within their company; I know what a big chunk of the pro video market wants, I have already done all the calculations and found out -roughly- what can be done and what can't; and I'm not too greedy )

Last edited by Samuel H; 03-27-2012 at 08:40 AM.
03-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #229
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
The decision on hte part of Pentax's leadership to essentially withdraw from competing in the video market is quite shocking. Like John Flores, I was hoping the K-01 would be the answer to shooting video on Pentax cameras. The "HDMI out during play mode only" feature is, unfortunately, a dealbreaker. This is a shame, considering that the image quality should presumably crush that of cameras such as the T2i.
has this been confirmed? by an actual user? my experience has been magazine reviewers often make oversights.. esp with pre-production test models...

03-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #230
Forum Member

^ yes, it's in the link I posted earlier today
edit: here: http://whatblogisthis.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/so-close-yet-so-far.html
03-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #231
D0n
Banned

well I hope it is a firmware fix solution. thanx.
as for the audio oh well..been shooting that way with d-slrs and go-pro's for ages so nothing new there..
but the k-01 is still the 1st step by Pentax... hopefully a firmware or future model will address some or all these issues...
anybody tested out the Max record times on this camera yet?
03-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #232

There are so many things to like about this as a video camera, but there are a few hurdles that I personally just can't get past. I really want one, and I've never owned anything Pentax before. Pentax is close, but it will need a major firmware update for me to take the plunge. Its halfway there with multiple framerates, shake reduction and manual controls while recording, but that's not enough to turn this into a useful video camera.

Focus peaking - great! Can't use it while recording - not so great. No big deal - my SmallHD DP4 has brilliant focus peaking and is a great workaround for the fixed LCD, but the K01 doesn't allow for HDMI monitoring. Things like this make me want to bang my head against the wall. I own Canon, Nex and a GH2 and they all work with external monitors, but none have IBIS.

Perhaps there will be a hack soon to open this up. I'd really like something with IBIS to use with my manual lenses, but this one isn't quite there yet.

04-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #233
Forum Member

aaaaaaand it's over

BlackMagicDesign Cinema Camera:
* micro-four-thirds sensor (well, just a tiny bit smaller: 16mm wide, 2.3x crop)
* 13 stops of DR
* records uncompressed 12-bit RAW at 2.5K resolution, on internal SSD drive
* $3000 street price (and just the bundled software is worth $1000)

check out the ecstatic reaction by the grassroots filmmaker community here:
BlackMagic Cinema camera!!!! 2.5k for 3k...

now it will take even more than a standard hack (like that of the GH2) to save the K-01 as a video camera

the only way out for the K-01 would be to actively help the hack developers

which brings me to...

for the last month or so, I've been developing a CinemaDNG encoder - it's nearly done - it could process the information coming out of the K-01 sensor and record 2.5K 16-bit RAW(yes, that's 2x2 binning) with very light, nearly-lossless 3:1 compression, at 400 Mbps (50 MB/s, 3GB/min) - I'm currently porting it to ARM to see how fast it runs on my phone

I was thinking of designing my own camera using that encoder, but now the window of opportunity is very much narrowed, so: if anyone at Pentax gets to read this and is interested, drop me a line!!

Last edited by Samuel H; 04-17-2012 at 11:20 AM.
04-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #234
Veteran Member

Hack K-01 can still do the trick because it's 5 times cheaper but yeah the BMD look amazing, already posted about it in the video thread.
04-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #235
Veteran Member

With that sensor size, there is still plenty of room for dslr video. it's RAW capabilities are great, but the lens and depth of field advantages go to cameras with larger sensors.
04-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #236
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've examined several video movies from K-01's users from Russian Penta-club and it's hard to say that K-01 has good video. I don't see outstanding work of new processor.
Jerking and jello effect, very weak AF in video. Maybe need new firmware. But, I don't see that my K-5 is worse. It seems to me - K-5 is better.
04-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like I have said before - no HDMI video out in record mode - was the deal breaker for K-01 video.
04-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Like I have said before - no HDMI video out in record mode - was the deal breaker for K-01 video.
I could not agree more. When I saw this, I literally decided I would not be buying the K-01.
04-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #239
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I've examined several video movies from K-01's users from Russian Penta-club and it's hard to say that K-01 has good video. I don't see outstanding work of new processor.
Jerking and jello effect, very weak AF in video. Maybe need new firmware. But, I don't see that my K-5 is worse. It seems to me - K-5 is better.
Can the K-5 do 1080p30,24, 720p60 with h.264 and full manual control of ISO and shutter speed in video mode along with focus peaking with manual lenses ?

Last edited by jogiba; 04-17-2012 at 02:25 PM.
04-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #240

oh noes

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
This is shocking actually. Does someone knows if the K-01 overheat in video mode like the k-5 does ? (sorry if this already been told but this topic is huge)
I shoot a lot of video with my K-5 and i was used to do the trick of locking the exposure with AE-L to avoid exposure pumping. When i learned the K-01 had full manual control even of the sound i, obviously, got very exited and thought "finally". But this "no hdmi out in video mode" is non-sens...