Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #256

thermometer pictogram

So, does anybody know if the k-01 overheat too soon in video / LV mode like the k-5 does ?

04-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #257
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yea, I, too, would like to know how the K-01 handles overheating.

In my part time job, my boss wants me to start doing some more video stuff, which is cool because I have been wanting to get into some video. Today, I went to go do a small video project with my K-r, and its inability to handle the heat from live view makes doing video projects nearly impractical.
04-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #258
Veteran Member

For that sort of things, why not get videocamera?
04-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #259
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
For that sort of things, why not get videocamera?
pentax glass.....

04-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #260
Forum Member

big sensor...
(and that means: way more DR, control over DoF, less noise and better low-light capabilities, ...)
04-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #261
Veteran Member

Well yes i understand that but videocamera is and can be far more convient certainly when you take into account the limitation of the K-01
It of course depends on the job but if you need to shoot video for the company i doubt you really need a camera to change lenses are need "dof" controll.

About DR, that is never that great with video to be honest, i wonder if it's the compressions that's killing it...
And with the line-skipping and other tricks DSLR do i doubt the image quality from a camcorder in the same price range will be worse, i even think it will be better.
04-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #262
Forum Member

the 5D2, with Flaat_12p, has 11.5 stops of DR, and seeing this I'd rate it at "definitely useable":
(yes, the aliasing/moire is horrible; 5D3 fixes that, but we're talking about DR now, and in that respect it's defninitely not an improvement)

the D800 has even more DR: Flaat_13p seems good enough with minor denoising in post, and is delivering 12.7 stops of DR

the best camcorders at these prices can give you very clean images, but they look decidedly video-y and have much more limited DR (I haven't been keeping up with that market, but I'd guess around 9 stops?)

step up to $5K (or wait for the BMC), and you've got the best from both worlds

but you can buy a lot of K-01 bodies for that price...

04-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #263
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
pentax glass.....
No overheating with the GH2.
04-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #264
Veteran Member

Samuel so you're saying that for normal everyday recordings the K-01 would be better then for example the Panasonic HDC-TM900?

Besides that you can change the lenses i don't see where the K-01 would be better.

here is a collection of vids.
http://www.musketsforum.com/t1376-panasonic-hdc-tm900

Last edited by Anvh; 04-20-2012 at 05:58 AM.
04-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #265

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Well yes i understand that but videocamera is and can be far more convient certainly when you take into account the limitation of the K-01
It of course depends on the job but if you need to shoot video for the company i doubt you really need a camera to change lenses are need "dof" controll.
Well, as a professional cameraman i know DSLR aren't the best to shoot video, even Canon 5D, especially in term of filming ergonomy. And of course i shoot with camcorders when i work with a company or a tv station. If i could afford it i'd buy a Sony EX3 or even a Z7 as i do prefer filming with the real deal.
But even if we don't like filming with DSLR, we all know the Canon 5D is used a lot in video productions nowadays, for all the good reasons.

The thing is i have a park of Pentax lens and I could manage to have pro result with my K-5 and its awesome Sony CMOS sensor. Doing so, wasting a lot of time doing the "trick" with its auto settings and being frustrated with the overheating. So my question is "Does the k-01 overheat like the k-5?" in this thread talking exclusively about the k-01 video abilities. Because, for me, if it does not overheat, it might still be a good compromise as it is very compact. For me the issue of overheating is bigger than the issue of not having HDMI out in record mode.

Panasonic GH2 is nice and i'd like to have my hands around one but Panasonic is notorious with pixel drops (even on big pro camcorder) and i've seen some on videoclips filmed with the GH2.
04-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #266
Forum Member

I know the TM900 is *A LOT* easier to use, and it will deliver a sharper and cleaner image than any DSLR

but its small sensor is a big limiting factor; it's not a contender in low light, and I haven't found any forma DR tests, but I'd be surprised if it reaches 9 stops

this is what a TM900 and NEX-5N says about both: Comparing the Panasonic TM900 and Sony NEX-5N - AVS Forum
04-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #267
Banned

Photos: Albums
Many gigs of video through my Pentax K-01. Even in direct sunlight for hours; outdoor air temps above ninety degrees with high humidity... Never had any heat issues with video or still.

Athough also noting there is an error code that shuts down the camera if this ever occurs.
04-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #268
Veteran Member

OrbitalChiller my comment was not aimed at you but at UdonUdon
QuoteOriginally posted by UdonUdon Quote
In my part time job, my boss wants me to start doing some more video stuff
That's doesn't sound like it will be used for high end stuff like you, that's why i made that comment.

@Samuel both have their own strength and what i said above here is what i'm talking about.
I really think that a camcorder lik the TM900 might be more suitbale for UdonUdon depending on what he want to do of course.
04-20-2012, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrbitalChiller Quote
The thing is i have a park of Pentax lens and I could manage to have pro result with my K-5 and its awesome Sony CMOS sensor. Doing so, wasting a lot of time doing the "trick" with its auto settings and being frustrated with the overheating. So my question is "Does the k-01 overheat like the k-5?" in this thread talking exclusively about the k-01 video abilities. Because, for me, if it does not overheat, it might still be a good compromise as it is very compact. For me the issue of overheating is bigger than the issue of not having HDMI out in record mode.
I'm waiting to see what the K5 replacement will bring, if that's nothing i might as well go the extra mile and get the BMC.
It's $3000 and it comes with $1700 of useful software so all in all just great value.
04-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #270

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Many gigs of video through my Pentax K-01. Even in direct sunlight for hours; outdoor air temps above ninety degrees with high humidity... Never had any heat issues with video or still.

Athough also noting there is an error code that shuts down the camera if this ever occurs.
Thank you. My K-5 never turned off but the thermometer diagram, warning me of some internal heating occurring was appearing in the left corner of LCD screen and the camera was indeed quite warm. So It made me worried to shoot video, especially with the rumors about sensor stains due to overheat... Though that scary rumor has been dismissed with some intensive video stress-tests. I was very disapointed since i have read TONS of reviews, tests and forums before purchasing my K-5 and that was way later that issue was mentioned. That's why this time i do my research .

Just to make this clear i didn't bought a K-5 to shoot exclusively video, i just love Pentax and wanted a polyvalent camera doing perfect stills and good video. The ergonomy (as a stills camera) of the K-5 is the best and the price was very nice too. I love my K-5 and wish Pentax will reach the level of Canon in video features. They can (could?) do it, especially with such a good sensor.