Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #316
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
This is why I hate 3D and hope it goes away. Which it won't.
it has always faded out; what makes you think this time is different?
http://electricpig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/3d-movie-timeline.jpg

04-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
it has always faded out; what makes you think this time is different?
http://electricpig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/3d-movie-timeline.jpg
It just seems to me like there's a lot more money, industry support, and marketing behind it than ever before. I think the financial and time investments that have and are being made by studios, producers and directors, show a pretty big commitment, and something that all those people aren't likely to turn there back on anytime soon. Unless it proved to be highly unprofitable and unpopular, which it hasn't to my knowledge.
04-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #318
Forum Member

I get your point, but I don't think it's lack of money, industry support, or marketing, that made 3D fade away in the past
some consumers love 3D, some hate it, but I think most just don't care

one possible outome is that those players you mention finally throw the towel and take a big loss
another one is that they stick to 3D, but lower prices to 2D levels so people have less excuses to avoid it; I think this is already happening for TVs

of course another possible outcome is that people continue to pay a premium for 3D until 2D disappears at the high end (every big movie is made on 3D, every decent TV comes with 3D)

we'll see
04-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It just seems to me like there's a lot more money, industry support, and marketing behind it than ever before. I think the financial and time investments that have and are being made by studios, producers and directors, show a pretty big commitment, and something that all those people aren't likely to turn there back on anytime soon. Unless it proved to be highly unprofitable and unpopular, which it hasn't to my knowledge.
I agree with your previous comments about 3D. I just about have to take Dramamine before watching a 3D flick. To me, in general, it distracts from the whole point of movie making, which is visual story telling.

The big question in my mind is if movie directors continue to use it. For the upper end ones, it is a gimmick and one that they will tire of quickly. For most movies, 3D doesn't really benefit them anyway. If you could film Hamlet in 3D, would you? The only movies in my mind that gain anything from 3D are action flicks with lots of CGI.

Still, you are probably right. Movie theaters, in particular, really need a draw to bring people in, so that they don't just wait for Movies to come out on DVD/Blu Ray. Maybe instead, they should work on some cheaper popcorn and snacks.

04-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #320
Banned

Photos: Albums
A long time ago I used to be a projectionist (no not telepathy); both at union shops and otherwise.

I've continued to maintain contact with a variety of theater owners over they years up to present day. The sizes of those theaters varies considerably.

Outside of mega theaters; or perhaps dedicated theaters - some even with bars. I doubt that there will not be more than a dozen new theaters built this year. Most theaters are going the route of ole american icons such as perhaps bowling alleys, etc...

Ironically a majority of the problem is due to both Hollywood and the major movie houses. Not much comes out now in the way of creativity and talent; without some truly incredible budgets. Most americans probably couldn't name most of the top ten movies that come out each year for theaters. Add to that - the fact that one can purchase the movie just a few months after it is released in a theater - and usually for about the price of a ticket and not much more. Those same movies also released on items such as Netflicks for a trivial monthy fee or actually less than a movie ticket.

As a matter of fact; several hotel (chains) also offer in room viewing of the same content that's in theaters - at the same time - even during the first week initial run. There are also services that I believe are still testing this online for most any viewer.

And then there is the theater experience - also known as the presentation. Most movie theaters have become almost like a type of baby sitting service for parents to drop off their children. So going to a weekend movie isn't quite the experience it used to be. Most movie theaters even have a genuine need for continual police presence throughout the weekend.

I still like the silver screen - whether film or even digital imaging. Although the screen at home is about the same size (in perspective). The sound can be difficult to compete with though; nothing quite like a real THX sound system - when it's run properly.

To conclude for now... What america is looking at is basically the beginning of the end of the theater industry. Soon there will be only one or two mega theaters per larger cities
04-28-2012, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #321
Veteran Member

It's not just your mind that won't tolerate 3D, it's you body. And it's not just you, it's everybody.
I tend to agree.
E.g., Avatar was nice but also stressful to watch (for me).

Actually, I did until two weeks ago.
Something happened which changed my mind or at least let's me reconsider it.

I had the opportunity to have a quick evaluation of the new Toshiba 55" 3D and 4k flatscreen. There shall only be a few devices in Germany right now. It is 3D without glasses and supports up to 8 viewers tracking their eyes and adjusting a programmable microlens array made of liquid crystals accrdingly.

In 4k mode, the lenses are flat and the image is 2D. To say watching photos at full 8MP resolution on this screen is "breathtaking" doesn't do it justice. But that's a different story.

My point is this: Watching 3D in HD was without any stress to my eyes and body. It felt totally natural. The effect wasn't as striking as with polarizing glasses, but OTOH, it felt so native and unobstrusive that all of a sudden, a 2D screen felt like lacking something. Like if you watched color TV for the first time in your life and moved back to B&W.

So, this was the experience which makes me think it over. I always thought 3D is the current hype going away soon enough. Maybe not this time though...

Needless to say this Toshiba screen is an engineering marvel. btw, it is expensive. But still a lot cheaper than some of Canon's recent dSLRs...
04-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
one possible outome is that those players you mention finally throw the towel and take a big loss
I would prefer this option, I just have my doubts that it will actually happen. We can only hope.

Although the technology FalconEye was talking about above sounds pretty cool.

My real problem, is that I think 3D is the answer to a question that no one asked. I've never watched a movie and felt like it was lacking a dimension. I've never come home from the theater thinking that it was real enough. I mean, maybe in terms of bad effects, script or acting, but not in terms of 2D presentation. Nor have I ever heard those complaints from anyone else. In fact, I kind of wonder if there won't be a downside to very realistic 3D presentation. I think something about the 2D presentation helps it feel real to us and be absorbing, while at the same time, allowing for there to be a clear division in our minds about reality and movie. Imagine technology that is even more realistic 3D than we have no, and really pulls you into the film in a visceral way. Then imagine watching the opening scenes the Saving Private Ryan with that technology. It would be downright awful. People would legitimately get PTSD.

04-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #323
Veteran Member

I think 3D is the answer to a question that no one asked.
I agree.
But to be fair, this is the case for almost every technology ever invented. E.g., no one "asked" for cars or computers.
04-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I agree.
But to be fair, this is the case for almost every technology ever invented. E.g., no one "asked" for cars or computers.
Also a valid point. Henry Ford famously said, "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

But to counter the counter point. Henry Ford wasn't saying ignore what the end user wants. He was saying see past what they think they want, identify the real problem and their real needs, and give them something that satisfies those even more than the what they thought they wanted. The same can go for all the aforementioned tech innovations that no one wanted. They were successful because rather than give the users what they wanted, they gave them something better. But I would add that for each one of these success stories, there are hundreds of innovations that no one asked for, that were miserable failures. Time, eventual success and no small measure of good fortune are the only things that decide if the innovator was ultimately right.

So I would turn it back to the beginning and say that 3D doesn't address a problem and doesn't give the users something even better than what they wanted. But then again. I'm 29, I'm effectively old, as far as hollywood is concerned. For all I know, teenagers are in love with 3D, and will grow up on it thinking it's great and wondering how we ever the "old-fashioned" 2D movies. Similarly to how people our my generations would view a black and white movie, or the people of the black and white generation would view silent films.

Who knows anything. It's all a crapshoot. Only time will tell who was right...
04-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #325
Forum Member

related to its recent 3D release (Twitter):
QuoteQuote:
Obviously, the main reason I was initally so disappointed by The Phantom Menace was that I couldn't tell which items were in the foreground.

@Medium FormatPro:
I think you'll find this article interesting: Film Distribution... a new paradigm and manifesto. It's time for change.
04-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #326
Veteran Member

3D ask a different way of filming and nobody has real experience with that.
Most likely the 3D animations are the first to crack the problem and make the viewing experience pleasurable.

You can look at some 3D games, some are doing the effect really well without any real side effects while others...
The ones that work often let the effect go into the screen rather then they let it pop out, maybe that's part of the solution.
04-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #327
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
3D ask a different way of filming and nobody has real experience with that.
Most likely the 3D animations are the first to crack the problem and make the viewing experience pleasurable.

You can look at some 3D games, some are doing the effect really well without any real side effects while others...
The ones that work often let the effect go into the screen rather then they let it pop out, maybe that's part of the solution.
One of the keys to shooting a film in 3D is to use effectively infinite depth of field. If you do not, divergence becomes a major (unbearable) problem.

Because of this, 2D will always offer some thing 3D can't - shallow depth of field / bokeh. Therefore, it will always stand apart as a medium, and there will always be a place for it.

Last edited by fuent104; 04-29-2012 at 04:50 AM. Reason: typo
04-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #328
Veteran Member

That's right. Some films work in 3d, some work better in 2d. Avatar versus The Help for example. Avatar isn't as good in 2d, just as The Wizard of Oz isn't as good on a black and white TV set! Both were filmed with the medium in mind (3d/Technicolor). I don't think 3d is going away, but I think it will take over from regular cinema...
04-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #329
Inactive Account

I really do hope that the next top tier Pentax body will be better for video. Untile then, I'll just practice framing with my K5
04-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #330
Banned

Photos: Albums
For true video I've always used (stuck?) using equipment with the 3x sensors. Unfortunately not likely to see this in a Pentax body anytime soon; although it's in some of the Sigmadesigns and it fails miserably