Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #46
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,843
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Doesn't the k-r have true mirror lockup though? Someone said the k-r and k-5 have true mirror lockup.
If you observe this without a lens, its actually a double shutter. The mirror is locked up.
I think its probably has to do with the shutter design.

02-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #47
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 58
If Pentax makes just one more stupid gimmicky camera like this one, then say no more, my next DSLR will be a semi-pro Nikon. Simple as that.
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #48
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It is a good camera for people who collect Pentax stuff. Pretty uninspiring for people who actually take pictures.
Pretty inspiring to me...
02-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #49
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
If Pentax makes just one more stupid gimmicky camera like this one, then say no more, my next DSLR will be a semi-pro Nikon. Simple as that.
Why exactly?

If Nikon makes a stupid gimmicky camera, will you threaten to switch to Canon?

02-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #50
Col
Veteran Member
Col's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stansted Essex
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 615
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'll double check tonight. I'm quite sure it's not the shutter - I know the mirror slap whenever I enter or exit liveview. The sound is like this.

Enter live-view - mirror slap. Press shutter button - same sound as entering the live view but twice, then once more after the shutter. I know the shutter sound because I use 2s and 3s timer and it's completely different (nowhere near as loud).
Almost sounds like the K20, have got Phase Difference selected as your live view focus mode?
02-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #51
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 76
QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
Why exactly?

If Nikon makes a stupid gimmicky camera, will you threaten to switch to Canon?
Hmm, stupid and gimmicky - you mean like the Nikon 1 series...


The more I think about the K-01 and its successors the more I like it. Looking back, the transition from mirrored to mirrorless can be compared to the transition from manual focus to autofocus, or film to digital. Some camera makers didn't survive the transition, some camera makers dumped their old mount and started fresh (Canon, Olympus, Sony/Minolta/Konica, Nikon 1). Then there were camera makers who stayed true to their users and heritage. They adapted their mount and lenses for whatever innovation that came along so that their loyal users could focus on whats important - taking beautiful pictures of their lives and families (and landscapes etc). So far Pentax is the only photography company that is carrying their mount into the mirrorless age. Now, about that viewfinder...

I LOVE PENTAX :-)
02-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #52
Senior Member
Paul MaudDib's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 292
QuoteOriginally posted by Zarkon Quote
Hmm, stupid and gimmicky - you mean like the Nikon 1 series...


The more I think about the K-01 and its successors the more I like it. Looking back, the transition from mirrored to mirrorless can be compared to the transition from manual focus to autofocus, or film to digital. Some camera makers didn't survive the transition, some camera makers dumped their old mount and started fresh (Canon, Olympus, Sony/Minolta/Konica, Nikon 1). Then there were camera makers who stayed true to their users and heritage. They adapted their mount and lenses for whatever innovation that came along so that their loyal users could focus on whats important - taking beautiful pictures of their lives and families (and landscapes etc). So far Pentax is the only photography company that is carrying their mount into the mirrorless age. Now, about that viewfinder...

I LOVE PENTAX :-)
Man, get over yourself. Nikon has carried their F mount since what, 1957? Pentax was still busy with Spotmatics, K mount wasn't even a glimmer in their eye. You can still put pre-AI glass on their cameras and shoot stop-down metering, just like Pentax made you do with their best lenses (-K and -M), PLUS they bothered to release full frame cameras.

I find it doubly ironic that you would say this about a camera that doesn't AF non-SDM glass.
02-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #53
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 804
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Man, get over yourself. Nikon has carried their F mount since what, 1957? Pentax was still busy with Spotmatics, K mount wasn't even a glimmer in their eye. You can still put pre-AI glass on their cameras and shoot stop-down metering, just like Pentax made you do with their best lenses (-K and -M), PLUS they bothered to release full frame cameras.

I find it doubly ironic that you would say this about a camera that doesn't AF non-SDM glass.
?? The camera is compatible with KAF lenses, not only with sdm lenses

02-02-2012, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,482
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
?? The camera is compatible with KAF lenses, not only with sdm lenses
02-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
Senior Member
Paul MaudDib's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 292
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
?? The camera is compatible with KAF lenses, not only with sdm lenses
Right, but it won't autofocus them, or so I read in the KAF-3 mount thread. You might as well say the KAF-2 mount is compatible with -M and -K lenses... sure they fit, they focus light... but they don't actually work like it says on the box. And manual focus with lenses that were designed AF-only is really a pain.

If they were going to make it huge, why not stuff an AF motor in there too? Or at least make it thinner and make an AF mount adapter like Sony's AF Alpha -> E mount adapter with an external motor.

e: The thread I read this in has been updated, apparently it does do screw AF. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173828-kaf3-mount.html
02-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #56
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,482
Name:  K01_B_B_a0 [1600x1200-2].jpg
Views: 532
Size:  39.9 KB

The K-01 has a KAF2 mount that is compatible with KAF3 lenses.
02-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #57
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 76
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Right, but it won't autofocus them, or so I read in the KAF-3 mount thread. You might as well say the KAF-2 mount is compatible with -M and -K lenses... sure they fit, they focus light... but they don't actually work like it says on the box. And manual focus with lenses that were designed AF-only is really a pain.

If they were going to make it huge, why not stuff an AF motor in there too? Or at least make it thinner and make an AF mount adapter like Sony's AF Alpha -> E mount adapter with an external motor.
Look at the pictures of the K-01 mount - it has the screw drive on it. Are you saying that Pentax placed a screw drive system on the camera that doesn't use it?

Anyway, let me run through a (very) simple exercise of using a Nikon F lens on a Nikon 1 camera. First you have the 2.7x crop factor (so your normal lens becomes a tele). With the exception of birding - most of the old lenses are pointless on camera. On top of that, AF does does work either. Waste of time in every possible dimension.
Enough said!!
02-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #58
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 76
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thanks :-)
02-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #59
Senior Member
Paul MaudDib's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 292
QuoteOriginally posted by Zarkon Quote
Anyway, let me run through a (very) simple exercise of using a Nikon F lens on a Nikon 1 camera. First you have the 2.7x crop factor (so your normal lens becomes a tele). With the exception of birding - most of the old lenses are pointless on camera. On top of that, AF does does work either. Waste of time in every possible dimension.
Enough said!!
Anyway, let me run through a (very) simple exercise of using a Pentax K lens on a Pentax Q camera. First you have a 5x crop factor (so your wide angle lens becomes a tele). With the exception of birding - most of the old lenses are pointless on camera. Enough said!

Yeah dude, if you put a normal lens on a super small sensor camera it becomes a long lens (a tele is a different thing, specifically meaning the lens is physically shorter than its focal length). On the other hand, if you put a Nikon F lens on one of their full frame DSLRs, it has its natural perspective! How about that. I wonder when Pentax is going to get around to releasing that for us. Or on their 1.5x crop cameras, it works exactly like K mount lenses on a K-5. Or if you splurge and get Nikon lenses that were made only 45 years ago, you don't even have to do the metering workaround. Anyone want to take bets on Pentax releasing a DSLR with an un-crippled mount for us -K and -M users?
02-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #60
Oog
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 86
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Anyway, let me run through a (very) simple exercise of using a Pentax K lens on a Pentax Q camera. First you have a 5x crop factor (so your wide angle lens becomes a tele). With the exception of birding - most of the old lenses are pointless on camera. Enough said!

Yeah dude, if you put a normal lens on a super small sensor camera it becomes a long lens (a tele is a different thing, specifically meaning the lens is physically shorter than its focal length). On the other hand, if you put a Nikon F lens on one of their full frame DSLRs, it has its natural perspective! How about that. I wonder when Pentax is going to get around to releasing that for us. Or on their 1.5x crop cameras, it works exactly like K mount lenses on a K-5. Or if you splurge and get Nikon lenses that were made only 45 years ago, you don't even have to do the metering workaround. Anyone want to take bets on Pentax releasing a DSLR with an un-crippled mount for us -K and -M users?
How much are you being paid to say what you're saying?

(Oops, I fed the troll....)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
button, camera, design, dslr, k-01, k-5, k01, mirrorless, pentax, pentax k-01, people, space, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I FINALLY nailed my Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4!!! Ira Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 43 03-13-2011 12:03 AM
They Nailed The Pervert!!!! magkelly General Talk 18 12-22-2010 08:56 PM
Macro Nailed clarkebd Post Your Photos! 4 05-10-2010 06:10 AM
Macro Nailed It? devs66 Photo Critique 6 11-12-2009 08:16 PM
Nailed it! SouthShoreRob Post Your Photos! 18 07-25-2008 12:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top