Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
You can still put pre-AI glass on their cameras and shoot stop-down metering
Only on a few of their bodies, which start at what, $1200? Everything lower than that won't meter at all with manual lenses.

02-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Only on a few of their bodies, which start at what, $1200? Everything lower than that won't meter at all with manual lenses.
Sammy's has the D7000 for $979, but everywhere else it is at least $1,200.
02-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At first, I saw only the negative aspects of this new camera: no viewfinder; no auto bracketing; no tilt/swivel LCD. But another post somewhere else reminded me that the K01 will handle all of my legacy glass, including screw mount lenses (with adapter which I already have). I have always wanted a camera just for these lenses, so this camera may well be the answer for me. It just depends on how well the manual focusing works and how accurate it is (in other words, it has to be better than a Pentax dSLR's abilities in this regard). I will have to wait and see for that. But at least I am interested again.
02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Oog Quote
How much are you being paid to say what you're saying?

(Oops, I fed the troll....)
Hey, someone proposed a really oddball, stupid setup and said it was a reason you couldn't do a thing which you totally can do, it seems perfectly fair to point out that Pentax makes cameras that are unsuitable for alt glass too.

Frankly I would pay Pentax, say, the price of a FF DSLR if they would get off their butts and take my money already. But no one pays me anything, I shoot the lenses I want on the camera I want in the way I want to shoot them, and I calls 'em like I sees 'em. I shoot medium and large format, where stop-down metering is the least of your issues. Most of my cameras don't have meters. If they do, they are really heavy and really bad.

But I'm getting dangerously off topic. I just get more and more disappointed with Pentax every time they release something stupid instead of giving us what we want. First it was cameras in shiny colors, then a p+s sized sensor in an expensive mirrorless body, now it's this.

Last edited by Paul MaudDib; 02-02-2012 at 05:27 PM.
02-02-2012, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, someone proposed a really oddball, stupid setup and said it was a reason you couldn't do a thing which you totally can do, it seems perfectly fair to point out that Pentax makes cameras that are unsuitable for alt glass too.

Frankly I would pay Pentax, say, the price of a FF DSLR if they would get off their butts and take my money already. But no one pays me anything, I shoot the lenses I want on the camera I want in the way I want to shoot them, and I calls 'em like I sees 'em. I shoot medium and large format, where stop-down metering is the least of your issues. Most of my cameras don't have meters. If they do, they are really heavy and really bad.

But I'm getting dangerously off topic. I just get more and more disappointed with Pentax every time they release something stupid instead of giving us what we want. First it was cameras in shiny colors, then a p+s sized sensor in an expensive mirrorless body, now it's this.
Well it might not suit you but I like it. If you don't go shoot your MF and LF. Or get a Nikon. They're not stupid.

Oh and -> Junior Member. Since 2009. 25 Posts. How many in the last three days?

Just Sayin'
02-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #66
Pentaxian

So, the k-5 sensor has 14 bit colour depth and this is supposed to be the same sensor... so what happened to the other 2 bits? IMHO the K-5 sensor without those two bits and without that 13 or 14 EV of dynamic range, now I'm going to have to see some images. Does this M processing engine or whatever it is only work in 12 bit. If you're looking for a replacement for your point and shoot, having DNG is a wonderful thing, but if you crippled your sensor to get it, personally I'd rather have the 2 bits back.... just my 2 bits worth.
02-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #67

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oog Quote
How much are you being paid to say what you're saying?

(Oops, I fed the troll....)
its hard not too....

02-02-2012, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of potential shortcomings, and maybe even a few positive things about this new camera have been brought up here, but I don't think the OP intended for this to be billionth rant/rave thread about the K-01. This camera is not intended for the demographic of the majority of us here on this forum, I'd dare say most of us here are experienced and fairly serious photographers. The people this camera is intended to attract don't even know camera forums exist.

I personally have no interest in this camera whatsoever. I could care less about video, and I think people hoping for better IQ than the K-5 are dreaming. The idea of having to hold the camera at arms length, shaking like a leaf, is ridiculous to me. But all that is completely irrelevant, as they intended this for someone worlds different than I. If this thing creates 2% of the excitement of the NEX series and the like, it will make PR a heap of money. My hope is that with that heap of money, they can then develop a full line of cameras and lenses. Imagine it if you will, everything from pastel colored cute cameras, to a full on DSLR that can run with the Canikons flagships. If this leads that way, I am all for it in a big, big way.
02-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So, the k-5 sensor has 14 bit colour depth and this is supposed to be the same sensor... so what happened to the other 2 bits? IMHO the K-5 sensor without those two bits and without that 13 or 14 EV of dynamic range, now I'm going to have to see some images. Does this M processing engine or whatever it is only work in 12 bit. If you're looking for a replacement for your point and shoot, having DNG is a wonderful thing, but if you crippled your sensor to get it, personally I'd rather have the 2 bits back.... just my 2 bits worth.
It's my (rather weak) understanding that no current camera gets the full 14 bits per colour. The bits per pixel (42 in this case) is the theoretical limit, but most cameras are doing well to capture 23 or so. The same principle applies to 12 bit systems. The theoretical limit is 36 bits per pixel, but the camera is doing well to catch about 23.

I seriously doubt that the naked eye could tell the difference between the two ways of calibrating it.

I'm entirely open to corrections and clarifications on this, I'll be the first to admit this stuff is a bit out of my depth (pun intended).
02-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In that "hands on" video on YouTube they say that it is not the same sensor as the K-5. It's a new sensor.
02-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #71
Veteran Member

It is all about how much it costs to develope a product, the price point that needs to be set with an assumed number of sales to make a profit. This camera may not be perfect, but IMO this is the best camera to come out in the net positive for Pentax considering what goes in to deciding what prducts to bring to market...well done!
02-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It is a good camera for people who collect Pentax stuff. Pretty uninspiring for people who actually take pictures.

K-01 has the K-5 sensor. what is so uninspiring about it for me taking pictures?
02-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I don't believe it will be crippled at all. just look at the NEX-5n and NEX-7. nobody is saying how bad the 12-bit NEX images are taken with Pentax lenses
02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #74
Veteran Member

actually I like this more than the Q which was dissappointing. also I like the concept of it being mirrorless rather than releasing the same old APS-C camera concept again and again. if the K-01 proves to be a camera more capable than the K-5, then it's something worth looking at for $650 (maybe $750 even). besides, the Fremen would like it very much using it in Arrakis.
02-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mccook Quote
A lot of potential shortcomings, and maybe even a few positive things about this new camera have been brought up here, but I don't think the OP intended for this to be billionth rant/rave thread about the K-01. This camera is not intended for the demographic of the majority of us here on this forum, I'd dare say most of us here are experienced and fairly serious photographers. The people this camera is intended to attract don't even know camera forums exist.

I personally have no interest in this camera whatsoever. I could care less about video, and I think people hoping for better IQ than the K-5 are dreaming. The idea of having to hold the camera at arms length, shaking like a leaf, is ridiculous to me. But all that is completely irrelevant, as they intended this for someone worlds different than I. If this thing creates 2% of the excitement of the NEX series and the like, it will make PR a heap of money. My hope is that with that heap of money, they can then develop a full line of cameras and lenses. Imagine it if you will, everything from pastel colored cute cameras, to a full on DSLR that can run with the Canikons flagships. If this leads that way, I am all for it in a big, big way.
I'm a +1 on this.