Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
If Pentax makes just one more stupid gimmicky camera like this one, then say no more, my next DSLR will be a semi-pro Nikon. Simple as that.
Yeah, that new 42x optical zoom Nikon P&S isn't gimmicky. Nor the 1 series in multiple colors. Just keep telling yoursrlf that.
hanks
barondla

02-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
I just get more and more disappointed with Pentax every time they release something stupid instead of giving us what we want. First it was cameras in shiny colors, then a p+s sized sensor in an expensive mirrorless body, now it's this.
Stupid moves that Canikon followed ... colored cameras (Canon 1100D, Nikon D3100....) and reduced-size sensors (Nikon CX format, G1X..).

Oh my, Pentax is quite the bad example....
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

I'm gonna hold my breath and turn purple if Pentax doesn't stop being so stupid. Then I'm going to spit on the kitchen cupboards and run away from home. Who does that Pentax think they are anyway? I'll show them.
02-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm gonna hold my breath and turn purple if Pentax doesn't stop being so stupid. Then I'm going to spit on the kitchen cupboards and run away from home. Who does that Pentax think they are anyway? I'll show them.

02-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Stupid moves that Canikon followed ... colored cameras (Canon 1100D, Nikon D3100....) and reduced-size sensors (Nikon CX format, G1X..).

Oh my, Pentax is quite the bad example....
Or the front runner in the industry? *shrug*
02-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #81

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I've high hopes for the video on this model.
I get the feeling that this could be the reason that the K-01 is a HUGE success. Although video is not my bag, this Camera with video auto focus is a home run IMO. The lack of an EVF wouldn't even be a big deal as far as I can tell.

The fact that it will most likely take great pictures and maybe (crosses fingers) have a really intuitive UI make this camera have a lot of potential for bringing folks to the Pentax brand.
02-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
The lack of an EVF wouldn't even be a big deal as far as I can tell.
For SLR users like us, it is big deal. But for those coming from P&S and phonecams, which I believe the camera was positioned for, it won't So it fits the bill perfectly.

02-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Its the VIDEO!!! Its people coming from digicams and iPhone Movie. We're stuck in a still picture paradigm.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.
02-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If this was an Apple product, we'd all be sitting around shouting about how this camera isn't white!
But since it is a Pentax product, people are sitting around shouting about how this camera isn't black.

Although, I personally like the silver/black as it resembles my Spotmatic.
02-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I really think that Pentax is spot on for their entry level camera in the K-01.

First and foremost, I think they've come up with a design which is a seamless transition for point and shoot (P&S) users into the realm of serious photography.

These are users that may not have ever even used a viewfinder, or may find the idea of a viewfinder worthless after years of P&S. It seems that every time I hand my K-5 to someone to take a picture with me in the frame, they look at me as though I've just handed them a snake. "Why isn't the screen lighting up with the image?" "How do I know it's in focus if I can't see the image on the screen?" "Can't I just use my iPhone instead? But it takes great pictures, I post them on Facebook all the time."

For those of us that are serious photographers and camera enthusiasts, we value having a viewfinder that is shielded from other light sources, but this camera clearly isn't designed for us. That is what we have the K-5 for.

The design is a little strange, but users aren't holding this camera up to their face the same way I am with my K-5, so maybe this design will work better for what most people do: Hold it about a foot in front of their eyes, look at the LCD, and click the picture.

Simplicity is king in this space, and I think their button layout has removed about all that you can remove before it becomes unusable for a skilled camera handler, while still keeping it without looking more like a P&S. Obviously we haven't seen the user interface yet, but similarly to my other points in the previous statement, when I hand my K-5 to someone else, they are daunted by all the knobs, buttons, and labels that to may be written in a blend of ancient Arimatheac and Klingon. "Which button do I push?" "Wait, I think I pressed the wrong button." "What the heck are all these numbers on the display?" "When is this thing in focus again?"

I think the K-mount is key. It provides people that come into this space from their point and shoot, the ability to step up to a full DSLR when they are ready without having to re-buy all their glass. I think the XS lens line with a few super small lenses doesn't represent much of a hurdle in this respect, although I expect we'll see a future K-5esque camera that can use those as well. I really like the idea of being able to pull more of the lens inside the camera body. I think that most of the people that buy this camera wont move up to a DSLR, but that they have the option will be a major selling feature.

I've high hopes for the video on this model. If this can function to your average consumer as a fully functional camera and as capable at video as their current miscellaneous camcorder (and keep in mind, this means auto-focus), but also allows someone more skilled to use manual controls, this camera could be appearing all over the place in no time at all.

If this was an Apple product, we'd all be sitting around shouting about how this camera isn't white! Instead I'm seeing a lot of feedback about how this camera isn't well suited to current Pentax shooters. I think those people are absolutely right. This camera is about bridging a market from P&S into DSLR, while still having something that looks snazzy enough to get noticed. For the rest of us, what we're looking for is an updated K-5, and a full frame K-5 sister camera. Who knows, maybe those are on the way?

Excellent! Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Its the VIDEO!!! Its people coming from digicams and iPhone Movie. We're stuck in a still picture paradigm.
I'm looking forward to the video as well, but I think that we are all getting our hopes up a bit too much...
  1. We know that it AFs during video. We don't know how well. Class-leading Panasonic still stumbles here. Canon too. Can Pentax, with no video background, really pull this off?
  2. AF with screwdrive lenses will be very noisy. Will ruin shots unless using an external mic
  3. Lack of audio monitoring makes this an amateur-setup.

I'm looking forward to the camera but am seeing a lot of posts suggesting that this is a GH2/5Dii killer. I hope it is, but lets keep our expectations in check.
02-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Excellent! Thank you!

I'm looking forward to the video as well, but I think that we are all getting our hopes up a bit too much...
  1. We know that it AFs during video. We don't know how well. Class-leading Panasonic still stumbles here. Canon too. Can Pentax, with no video background, really pull this off?
  2. AF with screwdrive lenses will be very noisy. Will ruin shots unless using an external mic
  3. Lack of audio monitoring makes this an amateur-setup.
I'm looking forward to the camera but am seeing a lot of posts suggesting that this is a GH2/5Dii killer. I hope it is, but lets keep our expectations in check.
Actually you, Clinton and one or two others were the ONLY poisitive posters during those two days. I went a bit overboard - so what.

Take Clinton's bridge philosophy and apply it to the video features.

This isn't a MILC K-5, but that might be coming. This, then, isn't a broadcast quality palm-sized video device; that might also be coming.

It certainly is a device that curious videographers might buy to step up from a P&S, just as it is a device that curious photographers might buy to step up from a P&S.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-08-2012 at 08:45 AM.
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #87
Pentaxian

For those of us that are serious photographers and camera enthusiasts, we value having a viewfinder that is shielded from other light sources, but this camera clearly isn't designed for us. That is what we have the K-5 for.

The design is a little strange, but users aren't holding this camera up to their face the same way I am with my K-5, so maybe this design will work better for what most people do: Hold it about a foot in front of their eyes, look at the LCD, and click the picture.

For what it's worth...this same discussion has been going on with video. Old school videographers are used to the big, heavy camcorders of the past. There were no LCD monitors so you HAD to look through the viewfinder. Now, there are relatively small, light HD camcorders with flip-out LCD screens. Most of the younger videographers I see tend to use the LCD screen more than the viewfinder.
02-08-2012, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
We know that it AFs during video. We don't know how well. Class-leading Panasonic still stumbles here. Canon too. Can Pentax, with no video background, really pull this off?
Video AF is really only important for casual use, pros use manual focus all the way. Spend hours setting up and then have the AF start hunting during the shot? Not a chance. The J.P. Auclair segment of All.I.Can. was shot entirely with DSLRs, try to imagine filming this with AF:

(edit) I can see an entire generation of young film makers being very excited they can buy a large sensor video camera and a pack full of manual K and M primes for under $2K.

Last edited by bikecoboss; 02-08-2012 at 10:23 AM.
02-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
Video AF is really only important for casual use, pros use manual focus all the way. Spend hours setting up and then have the AF start hunting during the shot? Not a chance.

Wait a minute...I'm a pro and I use autofocus all the time! You and I are just shooting different things. I shoot a travel show. I don't have hours to set up a shot. I often only have a couple of hours to shoot the entire piece! A lot of it is caught on the fly, in very cramped quarters...so autofocus comes in mighty handy. As do non-focus cameras, I might add, like our GoPro camera.
02-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
You and I are just shooting different things
I hope I didn't give the impression I filmed this!

Going OT here, but if anyone is curious about the GoPro, check this one out. (I REALLY didn't film this!)

Last edited by bikecoboss; 02-08-2012 at 10:57 AM.