Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
Ansel Adams probably just wished his camera came with a donkey.
Bravo!

03-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
XA and LX? Really? I still use both of those cameras. If the K01 were anywhere near as pocket-friendly as the XA, I'd have broken down doors to get my order in first. If it had finder interchangeability (i.e. an EV) like the LX, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat. As it is, it may still be a nice addition, but I'll wait and see.
Yeah, perhaps I was a bit . . . exuberant . . . in my analogy. I'll shoot a K-01 comparo next to my XA for grins. I was more referring to the full feature set in the K-01 like XA than to an actual size comparison. I don't think ANY of the MILC compacts is as pocketbable as claimed once a lens is mounted.

Asahiflex thinks Ricoh's next big move will be a FF body with intechangeable viewfinders - to be released early next year to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Asahiflex (coming this May) - and it would be an LX-D Precedent is the LX celebrating 60 years of AOC (a year late). And of course LX is Roman Numerals for 60.
03-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
And hopefully they end up stepping up to a full DSLR at some point to get the additional quality and features.

Hi. New guy here. Just curious about the above. If the K-01 sensor is as good as or even better (newer iteration, after all) than the K-5's, why would anyone need to step up? The K-01 is going to be in the top ten of all cameras (dxomark ratings), yet so many here are labeling it a beginner's camera. Kind of patronizing really. I'm a long-time photog (enthusiast division), have owned film SLRs, DSLRs, med. format, rangefinders - definitely not a newbie - and I'm only seeing a lot of positives for this camera.

I use a Lumix LX5 for my job. To me framing via display is a perfectly valid way to shoot. I'm glad there's no EVF on the K-01. Any EVF I've checked out (including the NEX7's) is seriously deficient in giving a true representation of a scene. Plus I wear glasses.

Final point - incredible bargain. What other brand makes it possible to have a top-ten IQ camera and 4 high quality primes for about $2100.00 (New 21mm, Used 28mm, New 40mm, New 70mm). Certainly not the latest offerings from Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Sony or Olympus. So chill out, everyone. The K-01's a winner. Plus, don't let anyone tell you it's ugly.
Welcome, and I agree with your comments. I think the only thing that puts the K-01 in the "beginner" bracket of Pentax's lineup is a lack of certain shooting modes, and other things like wireless flash support. However, those are not things the typical users of this camera will be worried about.

I've got one coming any day now, and I'm really looking forward to it. I've been using a Pen along with my K5, and while I love the Pen, the image quality is just a little lacking (not much, but noticable in dimmer settings). Plus, I didn't like having to use a second system. The K-01 should work great with my little DA Ltds, and my K5 will be great with my fast longer glass and my DA* lenses. I think it's the perfect supplement to the Pentax dSLR user, and a perfect entry point for new Pentax users.

As for the LCD-only, that doesn't bother me in the least. While I've used a viewfinder for a long while, I've used an LCD probably just as much. I personally find it quicker/easier to frame using an LCD, even in bright sunlight. Plus, manual focus can be easier with the LCD for me. Finally, since I started wearing glasses, the LCD is infinitely easier to use, and I don't smudge my glasses (or do the "glasses swap" between shooting and then adjusting controls). All in all, it's a winner for me.
03-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
snip I think the only thing that puts the K-01 in the "beginner" bracket of Pentax's lineup is a lack of certain shooting modes, and other things like wireless flash support. However, those are not things the typical users of this camera will be worried about.
Just in case, did you see that TAv is hidden under the M mode? I haven't read the manual yet and mine is stuck on "Order sent to Warehouse" at B&H (gotta call them if I get a minute) but apparently in Manual you can set the aperture and the shutter speed and the camera will adjust ISO accordingly. Then you can set AE-L and off you go.

This is actually documented in the manual.

03-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #110

Welcome, and I agree with your comments. I think the only thing that puts the K-01 in the "beginner" bracket of Pentax's lineup is a lack of certain shooting modes, and other things like wireless flash support. However, those are not things the typical users of this camera will be worried about.
Hmmm. Since I've been out of the loop as far as following the progress of digital camera technology, I am assuming that "wireless flash support" means that this capability is now being built into cameras? Because I'm just used to using receivers and triggers which can be connected to pretty much any camera which is modern enough to have either a PC port or a hotshoe. My 58-year-old Rolleicord and my 45-year-old Yashica Electro 35G can both be set up to use wireless flash technology, so I've been walking around thinking these have wireless support.

So yeah, I guess it didn't occur to me to worry about this. When I need to use off-camera flash my new camera, I'll just set things up like I always do.
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Quote
Hmm, I see that there is no mirror there. However, there is still that moving piece of glass of some sort. I wonder what that is for? Since it's a mirror-less camera, what is the purpose for that?
No moving glass. That's the focal plane shutter, nearly identical to what's in an SLR behind the mirror. The blades are most likely thin metal. With each capture it will close and re-open as it cycles. Most cameras with interchangeable lenses use focal plane shutters (rather than smaller leaf shutters which are generally integrated into the lens).
03-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #112
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
And hopefully they end up stepping up to a full DSLR at some point to get the additional quality and features.

Hi. New guy here. Just curious about the above. If the K-01 sensor is as good as or even better (newer iteration, after all) than the K-5's, why would anyone need to step up? The K-01 is going to be in the top ten of all cameras (dxomark ratings), yet so many here are labeling it a beginner's camera. Kind of patronizing really. I'm a long-time photog (enthusiast division), have owned film SLRs, DSLRs, med. format, rangefinders - definitely not a newbie - and I'm only seeing a lot of positives for this camera.

I use a Lumix LX5 for my job. To me framing via display is a perfectly valid way to shoot. I'm glad there's no EVF on the K-01. Any EVF I've checked out (including the NEX7's) is seriously deficient in giving a true representation of a scene. Plus I wear glasses.

Final point - incredible bargain. What other brand makes it possible to have a top-ten IQ camera and 4 high quality primes for about $2100.00 (New 21mm, Used 28mm, New 40mm, New 70mm). Certainly not the latest offerings from Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Sony or Olympus. So chill out, everyone. The K-01's a winner. Plus, don't let anyone tell you it's ugly.
Hi, welcome to the forums, and thanks for a well thought out posting. Right now, someone who buys this body probably wont unless they want weather-sealing or an OVF. I'm expecting we'll see an announcement about the K-5 replacement in the coming months, and that might be a reason to "step up".

Presently, unless the video features are all that, I don't anticipate I will have any reason to switch from my K-5 to the K-01 either.
03-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Hmmm. Since I've been out of the loop as far as following the progress of digital camera technology, I am assuming that "wireless flash support" means that this capability is now being built into cameras? Because I'm just used to using receivers and triggers which can be connected to pretty much any camera which is modern enough to have either a PC port or a hotshoe. My 58-year-old Rolleicord and my 45-year-old Yashica Electro 35G can both be set up to use wireless flash technology, so I've been walking around thinking these have wireless support.

So yeah, I guess it didn't occur to me to worry about this. When I need to use off-camera flash my new camera, I'll just set things up like I always do.
Well, of course you can add any number of third party adapters for wireless flash. I'm talking about having wireless control built in, like most of the dSLRs do. My K20D and my K5 control my 360 flash using the pop up flash on the camera.

....but I suspect you knew all of that.

03-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #114

Well, of course you can add any number of third party adapters for wireless flash. I'm talking about having wireless control built in, like most of the dSLRs do. My K20D and my K5 control my 360 flash using the pop up flash on the camera.

....but I suspect you knew all of that.
Nope. I did not. I have owned two dSLRs, but I was a very casual user of them both, having primarily purchased them for the purpose of shooting reference for my paintings, where I was concerned only with natural light. And neither of these cameras, not that I remember, had such a capability -- or it could be that at that time I was so disinterested in using flash that I skipped over that section in the manual entirely. I only became interested in using wireless triggers to control flash after I started using film cameras.

I do everything backwards, hee hee hee!
03-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Nope. I did not. I have owned two dSLRs, but I was a very casual user of them both, having primarily purchased them for the purpose of shooting reference for my paintings, where I was concerned only with natural light. And neither of these cameras, not that I remember, had such a capability -- or it could be that at that time I was so disinterested in using flash that I skipped over that section in the manual entirely. I only became interested in using wireless triggers to control flash after I started using film cameras.

I do everything backwards, hee hee hee!
Well, I stand corrected on my ASSumption. Wireless control of a hot shoe flash is handy when it's built in, but for me it's not the greatest thing ever. It's just another tool and can come in handy. Also, just one less gadget to get lost in my bag. I've used it on occasion, but I also bought a bunch of cheap triggers and flashes to use for a full off-camera flash setup. Still, the K5 can control at least a couple of Pentax flashes (and transmit exposure info) just using the pop up flash to communicate. The K-01 lacks this capability.
03-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #116
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I was hoping for a thinner camera
If you like thin get the Sony NEX-5N.

03-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If you like thin get the Sony NEX-5N.
See, I just don't get the point of a set-up like that but then I'm officially an old fart.
03-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
See, I just don't get the point of a set-up like that but then I'm officially an old fart.
We could change our user names to OF1 and OF2.
03-09-2012, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We could change our user names to OF1 and OF2.
I've been called "OAF", too ;~)
03-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #120
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
At first, I saw only the negative aspects of this new camera: no viewfinder; no auto bracketing; no tilt/swivel LCD. But another post somewhere else reminded me that the K01 will handle all of my legacy glass, including screw mount lenses (with adapter which I already have). I have always wanted a camera just for these lenses, so this camera may well be the answer for me. It just depends on how well the manual focusing works and how accurate it is (in other words, it has to be better than a Pentax dSLR's abilities in this regard). I will have to wait and see for that. But at least I am interested again.
It's better than that! Now there's a Pentax digital camera I can mount the Jupiter-6 on. No prism/flash protrusion.