Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:51 AM - 14 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Pentax has nailed it on the K-01

I really think that Pentax is spot on for their entry level camera in the K-01.

First and foremost, I think they've come up with a design which is a seamless transition for point and shoot (P&S) users into the realm of serious photography.

These are users that may not have ever even used a viewfinder, or may find the idea of a viewfinder worthless after years of P&S. It seems that every time I hand my K-5 to someone to take a picture with me in the frame, they look at me as though I've just handed them a snake. "Why isn't the screen lighting up with the image?" "How do I know it's in focus if I can't see the image on the screen?" "Can't I just use my iPhone instead? But it takes great pictures, I post them on Facebook all the time."

For those of us that are serious photographers and camera enthusiasts, we value having a viewfinder that is shielded from other light sources, but this camera clearly isn't designed for us. That is what we have the K-5 for.

The design is a little strange, but users aren't holding this camera up to their face the same way I am with my K-5, so maybe this design will work better for what most people do: Hold it about a foot in front of their eyes, look at the LCD, and click the picture.

Simplicity is king in this space, and I think their button layout has removed about all that you can remove before it becomes unusable for a skilled camera handler, while still keeping it without looking more like a P&S. Obviously we haven't seen the user interface yet, but similarly to my other points in the previous statement, when I hand my K-5 to someone else, they are daunted by all the knobs, buttons, and labels that to may be written in a blend of ancient Arimatheac and Klingon. "Which button do I push?" "Wait, I think I pressed the wrong button." "What the heck are all these numbers on the display?" "When is this thing in focus again?"

I think the K-mount is key. It provides people that come into this space from their point and shoot, the ability to step up to a full DSLR when they are ready without having to re-buy all their glass. I think the XS lens line with a few super small lenses doesn't represent much of a hurdle in this respect, although I expect we'll see a future K-5esque camera that can use those as well. I really like the idea of being able to pull more of the lens inside the camera body. I think that most of the people that buy this camera wont move up to a DSLR, but that they have the option will be a major selling feature.

I've high hopes for the video on this model. If this can function to your average consumer as a fully functional camera and as capable at video as their current miscellaneous camcorder (and keep in mind, this means auto-focus), but also allows someone more skilled to use manual controls, this camera could be appearing all over the place in no time at all.

If this was an Apple product, we'd all be sitting around shouting about how this camera isn't white! Instead I'm seeing a lot of feedback about how this camera isn't well suited to current Pentax shooters. I think those people are absolutely right. This camera is about bridging a market from P&S into DSLR, while still having something that looks snazzy enough to get noticed. For the rest of us, what we're looking for is an updated K-5, and a full frame K-5 sister camera. Who knows, maybe those are on the way?

02-02-2012, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
These are users that may not have ever even used a viewfinder, or may find the idea of a viewfinder worthless after years of P&S. It seems that every time I hand my K-5 to someone to take a picture with me in the frame, they look at me as though I've just handed them a snake. "Why isn't the screen lighting up with the image?" "How do I know it's in focus if I can't see the image on the screen?" "Can't I just use my iPhone instead? But it takes great pictures, I post them on Facebook all the time."

For those of us that are serious photographers and camera enthusiasts, we value having a viewfinder that is shielded from other light sources, but this camera clearly isn't designed for us. That is what we have the K-5 for.
Conversely, this can be seen more along the lines of "Let's keep the P&Sers from having exposure to a viewfinder, so they take all that much longer to develop an interest in DSLRs."

I guess to camera makers it isn't very important anymore to encourage users to climb the technical ladder. When they sell compacts like the Q for the same price as a DSLR, there seems little motivation to get them using something better.
02-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Conversely, this can be seen more along the lines of "Let's keep the P&Sers from having exposure to a viewfinder, so they take all that much longer to develop an interest in DSLRs."

I guess to camera makers it isn't very important anymore to encourage users to climb the technical ladder. When they sell compacts like the Q for the same price as a DSLR, there seems little motivation to get them using something better.
We're talking about the generation that argues using a iPhone is better than using a DSLR. Might as well cater to that crowd a little bit, if at least to generate profit.

What I feel that this camera is, is that it is the anti-J1/V1, considering it looked like the J1/V1 was brought out as the anti-Q.
02-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Why must this be a separate thread?
You're still asking this after how many years here/on the internet?

02-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Inactive Account

OP is right. Love the specs on the K-01

I love the specs of this camera. I can use my K-mount lenses which is the #1 thing I needed this camera to do. I have adapted to not using a viewfinder when my camera doesn't have one so that is not a big deal. If the image quality is just as good or better than the K-5 this will be one of the best mirrorless camera on the market. The reviews will be coming soon and we will know whether image quality holds true, but I do like the specs.

Pentax has a great following but they also have a large following of whiners. Nothing Pentax puts out will satisfy them and they will pick it apart. If the K-01 isn't your cup of tea great but quit pushing potential Pentax customers away. We should be happy they finally came out with a new camera and things are looking better for Pentax instead of tearing it apart before seeing some reviews. JMO.
02-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So coming up from the crappy Pentax P&S lineup, is this Pentax's answer to the Canon G1X and Nikon V1?
02-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Inactive Account

For me the lack of EVF is key. I'm on the verge of getting a MILC. My eye is on the new OM-D (MFT) which has both EVF and a tilting screen. I'd consider the K-01 but the lack of EVF kills it for me. I think it is a mistake not to offer one even as an additional accessory.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to buy an adapter for my 70-210/4.

02-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great post!

Wim
02-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

for $650, I'll buy one in the spring.
02-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
I agree with all OP points, especially regarding video. If this camera does a good job of video, then I'll probably purchase it just for that.

Mark me down as liking the look of the camera. Why does every camera have to look the same? Its about time somebody does something a little different. In addition, it will enable me to use my good lenses with a camera that doesn't look as "professional", allowing me to be a bit less conspicuous.

I dont mind at all the lack of EVF. Seems to me this is the perfect tripod camera, and I wont have to hunch over trying to see through the view finder.

I can see purchasing one for myself for a variety of reasons. Video, as mentioned above. It can be a nice compact backup to the k5. I've also been looking for a good camera that i can carry on my commute, this looks like it fits the bill perfectly.
02-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the OP hit it on the head. This is a very high-spec bridge camera, catering to the iPhone & PnS crowd. The ability to use k-mount lenses is a huge plus. This would be a perfect fit for my wife, who shoots a Sony DSLR in full auto mode, using live view 90% of the time, and who never ventures into all the buttons & settings. It doesn't do anything for me personally, but I think it's a good move by Pentax to gain mass market awareness.

Last edited by paulh; 02-02-2012 at 10:02 AM.
02-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I guess I judged it unfairly, coming from an SLR point of view.
02-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
Seems to me this is the perfect tripod camera
Why do you feel this way?
02-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yakim Quote
Why do you feel this way?
No mirror shake, big enough to sit on a tripod.
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Wow. At least Pentax is finally making some moves. First the Q and now this. I think it is a great play on their part. I was just drooling over the new Canon G1-X as a great travel camera but this one just made me forget that poor old Canon. A travel sized camera with the specs of a K5, minus the weather sealing. Hmmm.