Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
No mirror shake, big enough to sit on a tripod.
But if you use LV no camera will have mirror shake.

02-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Yakim Quote
good point. but how long will it take before the sensor overheats? there must be some difference on heat tolerance between the K-01 and K-5.
02-02-2012, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something you've never seen before . . .

Expand your thinking from what you want to what Pentax has created . . .

Video. Its the VIDEO!!!! With K-mount lenses!!!

It is neither the K-x nor the K-5 replacement. It is something new, something you've never seen before.

There will be more annuncements at CP+, early summer and Photokina that will deal with dSLR bodies and sensor sizes.

This has nothing to do with those.

VIDEO - - - - - that's what my wife and my children want. They use iPhone and InstaGram for snapshots. They don't take landscapes or portraits or 600mm birding shots. They don't often make prints. They take quick, dirty memory shots with iPhones or an A40 / RZ10.

Pentax hit a deep ball with this one - especially the yellow. I wonder how an FA35/2 will handle AF video? Maybe I'll find out soon
02-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Expand your thinking from what you want to what Pentax has created . . .

Video. Its the VIDEO!!!! With K-mount lenses!!!

It is neither the K-x nor the K-5 replacement. It is something new, something you've never seen before.

There will be more annuncements at CP+, early summer and Photokina that will deal with dSLR bodies and sensor sizes.

This has nothing to do with those.

VIDEO - - - - - that's what my wife and my children want. They use iPhone and InstaGram for snapshots.

Pentax hit a deep ball with this one - especially the yellow.
This ^

02-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yakim Quote
If you mean, mirror lock-up, sure. My k-x doesn't have that, unfortunately.
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

We have seen how the camera looks and got the specs. Mostly looks good on paper. Now lets see how it performs before passing any judgements.

Having a port for a hotshoe EVF would have been a big plus for the camera. They missed the mark there. Ricoh has one on their GXR but I guess the camera was mostly design before Pentax could dig into the Ricoh spare parts bin. I am guessing there will be a Mark II verison within a year with the EVF port. It only took Olympus about 3 or 4 months to replace the E-P1 with the E-P2, where the main difference being the EVF port.

The big question is how is the AF going to work? Hopefully it will be fast enough to not be a problem.

Anyhow it will be nice to see the new camera reviewed and into the hands of the actual users before massing any judgements.

Dave
02-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

If you mean, mirror lock-up, sure. My k-x doesn't have that, unfortunately.
he meant live view shooting using the screen display. you can shoot your k-x with this feature which means the sensor should be open regardless if the k-x doesn't have M-UP feature for casual M-UP situations.

02-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
Yes. also, I find it very unnatural to try to move my head to follow the camera mounted on a tripod. Or if I'm wiating for something to enter in to the frame, it keep my eye up against the mounted camera is usually very uncomfortable. It'll be much easier to sit back, watch the screen and fire the camera with the remote.

Edit: I quoted the wrong post. will fix momentarily.

Edit: fixed
02-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Yes

Clinton's point about neophytes handling DSLRs is spot on. Some of us were there not too long ago, but not everyone wants to handle that learning curve the same way. I love the camera, it is a great way for me to get a K-5 sensor and a camera that I can hand to my wife, niece, nephew, etc, and get a picture back.
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Wow. At least Pentax is finally making some moves. First the Q and now this. I think it is a great play on their part. I was just drooling over the new Canon G1-X as a great travel camera but this one just made me forget that poor old Canon. A travel sized camera with the specs of a K5, minus the weather sealing. Hmmm.

I don't think it has weather-sealing.

Without a viewfinder the camera has no soul.
02-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
Kai

Hmm, I see that there is no mirror there. However, there is still that moving piece of glass of some sort. I wonder what that is for? Since it's a mirror-less camera, what is the purpose for that? Please forgive me for not knowing much of the inside mechanical parts. You can see this in the
at 1:31 and 7:00. I was hoping for a thinner camera. :ugh:
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I don't think it has weather-sealing.

Without a viewfinder the camera has no soul.
you can always buy it as an accessory. other than that, focus peaking would make life easier without a viewfinder.
02-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #28
Veteran Member

My k-x doesn't have that, unfortunately.
K-x has mirror-lockup - p133 of the manual. 2sec self-timer enables it.

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Having a port for a hotshoe EVF would have been a big plus for the camera.
For video these are much better than mere 1cm EVF's or 3 inch rear LCD's
Attachment 116328

Last edited by rawr; 12-06-2013 at 03:27 AM.
02-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
he meant live view shooting using the screen display. you can shoot your k-x with this feature which means the sensor should be open regardless if the k-x doesn't have M-UP feature for casual M-UP situations.
No. For some reason, my k-x likes to decide to flip the mirror down after hitting the shutter button in live-view, flip it up, shoot, then flip it down again.

I've resorted to using live view to compose and manual focus, drop off live view, shoot, then review.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
K-x has mirror-lockup - p133 of the manual. 2sec self-timer enables it.
Not quite the same - continuous shoot doesn't work in 2s timer. I know the k-5 has continuous shoot in mirror lockup.

Plus, I prefer the 3s timer on remote, since I've managed to get blur from pressing the button on using my 70-200.
02-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

No. For some reason, my k-x likes to decide to flip the mirror down after hitting the shutter button in live-view, flip it up, shoot, then flip it down again.

I've resorted to using live view to compose and manual focus, drop off live view, shoot, then review.

Not quite the same - continuous shoot doesn't work in 2s timer. I know the k-5 has continuous shoot in mirror lockup.

Plus, I prefer the 3s timer on remote, since I've managed to get blur from pressing the button on using my 70-200.
are you sure that it's the mirror you are hearing flipping and not the shutter? the mirror slap sound is noticeably different when you compare them.