Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
are you sure that it's the mirror you are hearing flipping and not the shutter? the mirror slap sound is noticeably different when you compare them.
I'll double check tonight. I'm quite sure it's not the shutter - I know the mirror slap whenever I enter or exit liveview. The sound is like this.

Enter live-view - mirror slap. Press shutter button - same sound as entering the live view but twice, then once more after the shutter. I know the shutter sound because I use 2s and 3s timer and it's completely different (nowhere near as loud).

02-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #32
Veteran Member

The K-x and K-r both do a double mirror cycle when shooting in LV.
02-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Doesn't the k-r have true mirror lockup though? Someone said the k-r and k-5 have true mirror lockup.
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that this is a video camera with still picture capability. They've really seemed to take the video complaints to heart and have upped it a bunch. They trimmed out many of the still picture features that make a camera not a P&S while retaining the K-mount and some nice features. I'm waiting to see some output from the thing but the specs on the video appear to make it much more a family all-arounder.

02-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Weird, the K5 only cycles the shutter.
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Weird, the K5 only cycles the shutter.
Yeah, that's the smarter way to go about it. I don't even know why double mirror cycles exist. I assume it's the programming - :"Ok, mirror is up. Oh he pressed the shutter button. That means I gotta exit liveview. Woops there goes the mirror. Let's bring it back up again!"

But yes, not having the mirror on this camera helps it in that regard vs the k-x. It doesn't make the k-5 less relevant, but if I were to compare this camera to the k-x/k-r, that plus the sensor are some plusses.
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree that this is a video camera with still picture capability. They've really seemed to take the video complaints to heart and have upped it a bunch. They trimmed out many of the still picture features that make a camera not a P&S while retaining the K-mount and some nice features. I'm waiting to see some output from the thing but the specs on the video appear to make it much more a family all-arounder.
+1 Its the VIDEO!! that we haven't seen before.

02-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #38

I'm interested, but not convinced just yet. Sure, I'd miss a viewfinder, and I do use the viewfinder on my K-r, but the only reason I use it is because it's faster that way. The k-r's viewfinder is useless for manual focus, and so the only thing I use it for is to frame the picture. Which I could do just as well with an LCD, while taking a hit in the battery dept.

So I don't mind the lack of a viewfinder. I love the idea of 720p 60fps video though. And the limited line of lenses are compact enough to be excellent companions to this K-01. I'd love to attach my 70mm and use it as a stealthy camera. But my main problem is the size. It's still fairly big. It looks like the same width and depth of my k-r. I'm not sure if I want to buy a new camera that won't fit in a pocket.
02-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I think this is something new in many ways, not just that it is probaply easy to use and fun. Easy to give for your wife/friend/dad ect. for taking a picture of you, dog, cafe... with out having to explain how does it work. Should be super nice with compact lenses. Ass many of you have said, lot more focus points, new processor...hopefully good VIDEO. Sounds really nice. Nice day to day set-up.

Maybe when they come out with more 'serious' camera successor of K-5. You can have something like this for back up. And for me, it does not look too bad. Well done pentax.
02-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
good point. but how long will it take before the sensor overheats? there must be some difference on heat tolerance between the K-01 and K-5.
I must confess I never bothered to look for data on this issue because I never encountered it (Canon 40D, Canon 7D, Sony A33). Maybe it's because I didn't use it long enough to reach the limit. Most of the time I use my VF.
02-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'll double check tonight. I'm quite sure it's not the shutter - I know the mirror slap whenever I enter or exit liveview. The sound is like this.

Enter live-view - mirror slap. Press shutter button - same sound as entering the live view but twice, then once more after the shutter. I know the shutter sound because I use 2s and 3s timer and it's completely different (nowhere near as loud).
yes, the shutter shouldn't be near as loud. mind you I am using the K-7 and could tell the difference. the only problem with LV is the sensor quickly overheats. the difference with MILCs is that of their better tolerance on heat generation. so we will see how it goes with the K-01.
02-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Well, removing that mirror in front of it gives a bit more air circulation and total air quantity to absorb heat
02-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just saw that it has focus peak option. That's a big plus for me. I will have to see how the screen works in the hands of users, but that is a big appeal to me. Right now I just hate how slow Live View works on my K-r.
02-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #44
Veteran Member

It is a good camera for people who collect Pentax stuff. Pretty uninspiring for people who actually take pictures.
02-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #45
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Why must this be a separate thread?
Because he can just like you.
Because a positive outlook would be lost in the flood of negative
Because I sure couldn't decide which of the countless others would be the best place to put it and have it stand-out and I bet he couldn't either.