Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Doesn't the k-r have true mirror lockup though? Someone said the k-r and k-5 have true mirror lockup.
If you observe this without a lens, its actually a double shutter. The mirror is locked up.
I think its probably has to do with the shutter design.

02-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
If Pentax makes just one more stupid gimmicky camera like this one, then say no more, my next DSLR will be a semi-pro Nikon. Simple as that.
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It is a good camera for people who collect Pentax stuff. Pretty uninspiring for people who actually take pictures.
Pretty inspiring to me...
02-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
If Pentax makes just one more stupid gimmicky camera like this one, then say no more, my next DSLR will be a semi-pro Nikon. Simple as that.
Why exactly?

If Nikon makes a stupid gimmicky camera, will you threaten to switch to Canon?

02-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #50
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'll double check tonight. I'm quite sure it's not the shutter - I know the mirror slap whenever I enter or exit liveview. The sound is like this.

Enter live-view - mirror slap. Press shutter button - same sound as entering the live view but twice, then once more after the shutter. I know the shutter sound because I use 2s and 3s timer and it's completely different (nowhere near as loud).
Almost sounds like the K20, have got Phase Difference selected as your live view focus mode?
02-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
Why exactly?

If Nikon makes a stupid gimmicky camera, will you threaten to switch to Canon?
Hmm, stupid and gimmicky - you mean like the Nikon 1 series...

The more I think about the K-01 and its successors the more I like it. Looking back, the transition from mirrored to mirrorless can be compared to the transition from manual focus to autofocus, or film to digital. Some camera makers didn't survive the transition, some camera makers dumped their old mount and started fresh (Canon, Olympus, Sony/Minolta/Konica, Nikon 1). Then there were camera makers who stayed true to their users and heritage. They adapted their mount and lenses for whatever innovation that came along so that their loyal users could focus on whats important - taking beautiful pictures of their lives and families (and landscapes etc). So far Pentax is the only photography company that is carrying their mount into the mirrorless age. Now, about that viewfinder...

I LOVE PENTAX :-)
02-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Zarkon Quote
Hmm, stupid and gimmicky - you mean like the Nikon 1 series...

The more I think about the K-01 and its successors the more I like it. Looking back, the transition from mirrored to mirrorless can be compared to the transition from manual focus to autofocus, or film to digital. Some camera makers didn't survive the transition, some camera makers dumped their old mount and started fresh (Canon, Olympus, Sony/Minolta/Konica, Nikon 1). Then there were camera makers who stayed true to their users and heritage. They adapted their mount and lenses for whatever innovation that came along so that their loyal users could focus on whats important - taking beautiful pictures of their lives and families (and landscapes etc). So far Pentax is the only photography company that is carrying their mount into the mirrorless age. Now, about that viewfinder...

I LOVE PENTAX :-)
Man, get over yourself. Nikon has carried their F mount since what, 1957? Pentax was still busy with Spotmatics, K mount wasn't even a glimmer in their eye. You can still put pre-AI glass on their cameras and shoot stop-down metering, just like Pentax made you do with their best lenses (-K and -M), PLUS they bothered to release full frame cameras.

I find it doubly ironic that you would say this about a camera that doesn't AF non-SDM glass.

02-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Man, get over yourself. Nikon has carried their F mount since what, 1957? Pentax was still busy with Spotmatics, K mount wasn't even a glimmer in their eye. You can still put pre-AI glass on their cameras and shoot stop-down metering, just like Pentax made you do with their best lenses (-K and -M), PLUS they bothered to release full frame cameras.

I find it doubly ironic that you would say this about a camera that doesn't AF non-SDM glass.
?? The camera is compatible with KAF lenses, not only with sdm lenses
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
02-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Right, but it won't autofocus them, or so I read in the KAF-3 mount thread. You might as well say the KAF-2 mount is compatible with -M and -K lenses... sure they fit, they focus light... but they don't actually work like it says on the box. And manual focus with lenses that were designed AF-only is really a pain.

If they were going to make it huge, why not stuff an AF motor in there too? Or at least make it thinner and make an AF mount adapter like Sony's AF Alpha -> E mount adapter with an external motor.

e: The thread I read this in has been updated, apparently it does do screw AF. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173828-kaf3-mount.html
02-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Name:  K01_B_B_a0 [1600x1200-2].jpg
Views: 789
Size:  39.9 KB

The K-01 has a KAF2 mount that is compatible with KAF3 lenses.
02-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #57
Forum Member

Right, but it won't autofocus them, or so I read in the KAF-3 mount thread. You might as well say the KAF-2 mount is compatible with -M and -K lenses... sure they fit, they focus light... but they don't actually work like it says on the box. And manual focus with lenses that were designed AF-only is really a pain.

If they were going to make it huge, why not stuff an AF motor in there too? Or at least make it thinner and make an AF mount adapter like Sony's AF Alpha -> E mount adapter with an external motor.
Look at the pictures of the K-01 mount - it has the screw drive on it. Are you saying that Pentax placed a screw drive system on the camera that doesn't use it?

Anyway, let me run through a (very) simple exercise of using a Nikon F lens on a Nikon 1 camera. First you have the 2.7x crop factor (so your normal lens becomes a tele). With the exception of birding - most of the old lenses are pointless on camera. On top of that, AF does does work either. Waste of time in every possible dimension.
Enough said!!
02-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #58
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
02-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by Zarkon Quote
Anyway, let me run through a (very) simple exercise of using a Nikon F lens on a Nikon 1 camera. First you have the 2.7x crop factor (so your normal lens becomes a tele). With the exception of birding - most of the old lenses are pointless on camera. On top of that, AF does does work either. Waste of time in every possible dimension.
Enough said!!
Anyway, let me run through a (very) simple exercise of using a Pentax K lens on a Pentax Q camera. First you have a 5x crop factor (so your wide angle lens becomes a tele). With the exception of birding - most of the old lenses are pointless on camera. Enough said!

Yeah dude, if you put a normal lens on a super small sensor camera it becomes a long lens (a tele is a different thing, specifically meaning the lens is physically shorter than its focal length). On the other hand, if you put a Nikon F lens on one of their full frame DSLRs, it has its natural perspective! How about that. I wonder when Pentax is going to get around to releasing that for us. Or on their 1.5x crop cameras, it works exactly like K mount lenses on a K-5. Or if you splurge and get Nikon lenses that were made only 45 years ago, you don't even have to do the metering workaround. Anyone want to take bets on Pentax releasing a DSLR with an un-crippled mount for us -K and -M users?
02-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #60
Oog
Forum Member

Anyway, let me run through a (very) simple exercise of using a Pentax K lens on a Pentax Q camera. First you have a 5x crop factor (so your wide angle lens becomes a tele). With the exception of birding - most of the old lenses are pointless on camera. Enough said!

Yeah dude, if you put a normal lens on a super small sensor camera it becomes a long lens (a tele is a different thing, specifically meaning the lens is physically shorter than its focal length). On the other hand, if you put a Nikon F lens on one of their full frame DSLRs, it has its natural perspective! How about that. I wonder when Pentax is going to get around to releasing that for us. Or on their 1.5x crop cameras, it works exactly like K mount lenses on a K-5. Or if you splurge and get Nikon lenses that were made only 45 years ago, you don't even have to do the metering workaround. Anyone want to take bets on Pentax releasing a DSLR with an un-crippled mount for us -K and -M users?
How much are you being paid to say what you're saying?

(Oops, I fed the troll....)