Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
For what it's worth...this same discussion has been going on with video. Old school videographers are used to the big, heavy camcorders of the past. There were no LCD monitors so you HAD to look through the viewfinder. Now, there are relatively small, light HD camcorders with flip-out LCD screens. Most of the younger videographers I see tend to use the LCD screen more than the viewfinder.
I believe this is true. if LV was only available during those times, we might see a different reaction regarding LCD screens. I too was into the idea of having the option to look or compose on the screen as well compared to looking on the viewfinder. and that was more than a decade ago.

02-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #92
Inactive Account

Agreed; my wife found my K20D too bulky and complicated to use; had there been more definite signs of the K-01 coming back in early December, I might have forgone the Canon S95 deal that I had found. Having said that, it's still a slim "pocket" sized camera which is really what she was looking for.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I really think that Pentax is spot on for their entry level camera in the K-01.

First and foremost, I think they've come up with a design which is a seamless transition for point and shoot (P&S) users into the realm of serious photography.
02-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #93
Veteran Member

I can't fathom why my kids will not use their cell phone to call me, but insists on typing a text, even when the subject matter lends itself to talking.

I like my viewfinder/K-5, but OP is absolutely right - IMO the K-01 is the right camera for Pentax to supplemtn their offering. Attract a different audience, and broaden your base. I belive many of the people who have been buying DSLRs want the picture quality of the DSLR, but actually would be happier with something like the K-01 because of the type of pictures they take.
02-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
I like my viewfinder/K-5, but OP is absolutely right - IMO the K-01 is the right camera for Pentax to supplemtn their offering. Attract a different audience, and broaden your base. I belive many of the people who have been buying DSLRs want the picture quality of the DSLR, but actually would be happier with something like the K-01 because of the type of pictures they take.
And hopefully they end up stepping up to a full DSLR at some point to get the additional quality and features.

02-16-2012, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of us might even step sideways to a different feature set without sacrificing useful quality!
02-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
And hopefully they end up stepping up to a full DSLR at some point to get the additional quality and features.
Especially if they know they can opt for a K5 and be able to use the same batteries and lenses.
02-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Especially if they know they can opt for a K5 and be able to use the same batteries and lenses.
A K-01/DA40XS and a K5 is the modern day XA and LX! (well, not a perfect analogy since the XA was fixed lens, but you get the drift). My K-01 order is in the hopper.

02-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
I can't fathom why my kids will not use their cell phone to call me, but insists on typing a text, even when the subject matter lends itself to talking.
Because they're kids. I've made it abundantly clear that I delete all text messages unread.
03-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It looks as though I'll be picking one of these up for it's video capabilities unless something happens soon with a K-5 replacement
03-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clinton I think you are correct about this camera. For all the Sturm und Drang I think Pentax will sell a lot of these to a lot of people. And we'll see it was a great business maneuver, worhty of the best product development and brand management thinking.

I'm sure I'll love mine.
03-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-01 is really a sideshow as far as I'm concerned but I'm waiting to hear about the video quality and the video experience which seems to be where it needs to rock in order to take off.
03-07-2012, 01:31 AM - 3 Likes   #102

Hi. New guy here. Just curious about the above. If the K-01 sensor is as good as or even better (newer iteration, after all) than the K-5's, why would anyone need to step up? The K-01 is going to be in the top ten of all cameras (dxomark ratings), yet so many here are labeling it a beginner's camera. Kind of patronizing really. I'm a long-time photog (enthusiast division), have owned film SLRs, DSLRs, med. format, rangefinders - definitely not a newbie - and I'm only seeing a lot of positives for this camera.

I use a Lumix LX5 for my job. To me framing via display is a perfectly valid way to shoot. I'm glad there's no EVF on the K-01. Any EVF I've checked out (including the NEX7's) is seriously deficient in giving a true representation of a scene. Plus I wear glasses.

Final point - incredible bargain. What other brand makes it possible to have a top-ten IQ camera and 4 high quality primes for about $2100.00 (New 21mm, Used 28mm, New 40mm, New 70mm). Certainly not the latest offerings from Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Sony or Olympus. So chill out, everyone. The K-01's a winner. Plus, don't let anyone tell you it's ugly.
03-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote

Hi. New guy here. Just curious about the above. If the K-01 sensor is as good as or even better (newer iteration, after all) than the K-5's, why would anyone need to step up? The K-01 is going to be in the top ten of all cameras (dxomark ratings), yet so many here are labeling it a beginner's camera. Kind of patronizing really. I'm a long-time photog (enthusiast division), have owned film SLRs, DSLRs, med. format, rangefinders - definitely not a newbie - and I'm only seeing a lot of positives for this camera.

I use a Lumix LX5 for my job. To me framing via display is a perfectly valid way to shoot. I'm glad there's no EVF on the K-01. Any EVF I've checked out (including the NEX7's) is seriously deficient in giving a true representation of a scene. Plus I wear glasses.

Final point - incredible bargain. What other brand makes it possible to have a top-ten IQ camera and 4 high quality primes for about $2100.00 (New 21mm, Used 28mm, New 40mm, New 70mm). Certainly not the latest offerings from Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Sony or Olympus. So chill out, everyone. The K-01's a winner. Plus, don't let anyone tell you it's ugly.
Wow!
Well said indeed for a first post! (applause)
03-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A K-01/DA40XS and a K5 is the modern day XA and LX! (well, not a perfect analogy since the XA was fixed lens, but you get the drift). My K-01 order is in the hopper.
XA and LX? Really? I still use both of those cameras. If the K01 were anywhere near as pocket-friendly as the XA, I'd have broken down doors to get my order in first. If it had finder interchangeability (i.e. an EV) like the LX, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat. As it is, it may still be a nice addition, but I'll wait and see.
03-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #105
Forum Member

mervis is so spot-on..

Fifty+ years ago when SLR's appeared, H2 and K, they were regarded as amateur, at best, by many serious photographers. Most evident by the studio cliques, then totally into various view cameras or Rollie/Hasselblad styles. The photojournalists had switched from Press cameras to Leica's and saw little value with the Pentax SLR. Ansel Adams probably just wished his camera came with a donkey.

Sooo --- Clinton's use of the "better" word may seem equally silly by history, try different for now.