Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which as a K-5 backup? K-7 or K-01?

I moved up the from K-7 to the new K-5 two months ago, but kept the K-7 as a backup camera.

So I'm now wondering if I should try to sell the K-7 body and then get a K-01 as a backup body / new toy...

Which would you do if in my situation... I couldn't get a second K-5, but the K-01 might be a nice compromise...

02-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My initial thoughts: K-5 will (still) be the main shooter, the K-01 will be backup and main video, and I'm toying with the idea of converting the K20D to infrared. Everything I've read so far indicates that the K--01 video capabilities are going to rock!
02-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
The jury is still out on the AF of the K-01. Nobody knows, it may turn out to be impressive. At least contrast AF is more accurate than phase detection, and it has been getting faster.
Unless that happens / has happened, you will not miss a second body much as long as your K-5 works. The K-7 will do as a stop-gap.
I put a sticker on my K-7, just to distinguish it enough from the K-5 when I'm in a hurry.
02-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I moved up the from K-7 to the new K-5 two months ago, but kept the K-7 as a backup camera.

So I'm now wondering if I should try to sell the K-7 body and then get a K-01 as a backup body / new toy...

Which would you do if in my situation... I couldn't get a second K-5, but the K-01 might be a nice compromise...
I would suggest that you read this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/158161...-one-wait.html

it could provide some insights for your search.

JP

02-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I would suggest that you read this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/158161...-one-wait.html

it could provide some insights for your search.

JP
Started reading and will keep doing so, but when I meant backup, I'm thinking more along the lines of a second "at the ready" camera with a different lens setup -- for example, I shot a party recently, and had the K-5 with the wide lens (for up close and groups) and the K-7 with a telephoto (for candids, across the room, etc.) I want the two bodies to support the same lenses -- not a walkaround camera (I have several for that purpose, but really hate when I get JPGs out of the camera except for quick ebay shots)
02-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It really depends on what you use your cameras for.

When I shot sports freelance, having a weather sealed back up camera (the K-7) was a real plus for those days when it was necessary (football games are still held in pouring rain). Then I switched jobs to a more day to day journalism job, where I need video clips and shoot often in terrible light interiors. All of the sudden the K-7 wasn't very good for the change in job, so I ended up never using it much, so I sold it for an affordable price to a colleague. For my needs, the K-01 looks to slot in perfectly to my vacant slot as my backup camera for stills and main camera for video. Whereas in a previous job or hobby situation it might have been the opposite.
02-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It really depends on three things IMHO: how much you need weather sealing, how much video you want to shoot and at what quality, and how well the AF works in the new camera. This seems to be a video targeted device IMHO. As a backup that is primarily for video but can take all your current lenses it may well be worth trading in your K-7 for it. I'm waiting to see some output from the K-01 myself.
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
all good points

02-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
None of the above. The Kx fills the spot for me. Not much bigger than this new model, good low light performance, optical finder. If I used the video much, I would probably have a completely different opinion.
02-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The K-01 is more of a K-mount camcorder than a DSLR backup to be sincere. Shooting with a back LCD only (and a pretty suck one, in fact) is simply not an option if you want it as a compact backup for stills.