Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Too much of the lens projects into the camera past the mount. The comments all seem to indicate that it will not work on other K-mount cameras. I've also read someplace that its a fixed focus lens, which may have been a language issue as its a fixed focal length lens for sure, but the ridges on the lens may simply be there for grip to insert it into the body and turn it to finish installing it. More information is definitely needed on this lens. Even Pentax Japan does not have much at all,.
look at Pentax' page for it they state it will work on any previous DSLR

http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX-DA_40mm_F2.8_XS_LensUltra low profile is only 0.36 inches thin at 1.8 oz.

QuoteQuote:
Short 16 inch minimum focus distance.

Nine rounded aperture blades produce extraordinarily smooth, natural bokeh.

PENTAX KAF mount is compatible with current and past K-mount compatible cameras.

02-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Fixed Focal length not fixed Focus. Just fancy words for prime lens a term many P&S users may not know where they can decipher Fixed Focal Length
It wasn't that source that I was thinking of, I can't seem to find it now but it was a Chinese forum in English so there could have been a language issue in the translation. Anyway, the new pictures appear to clearly show two sets of ridges with the inner having the alignment line and the outer having a continuous set of ridges consistent with a focusing grip.

On the compatibility side - you seem to be right - and that link isn't working BTW. What I found on the Pentax USA site says:
"PENTAX KAF mount is compatible with current and past K-mount compatible cameras."

There does appear to be some serious confusion on this as other sites are saying that it will not work. I take it that an official Pentax site is more likely to be right on this - even if it is Pentax USA.
02-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
even if it is Pentax USA.
Pentax Canada has the same info (they are just slow getting the site changed)

I worried as well and that was one of the first things i looked at. One of the lenses I was thinking of buying is the FA43. I know it's a superior lens but this FL is close and for not much more than the 43 it comes with a camera lens cap
02-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Forum Member

It does have more protruding from the back of the lens than any of the lenses in my bag, but the part that does extend out the back isn't any further than the aperture lever. The main structural parts of the actual lens mount appear to be the same. Just the center part is a little deeper.

02-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
Forum Member

PENTAX - smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens

Says it's compatible with current and past K-mount compatible cameras.
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I imagine the big advantage for the K-01 will be the opportunity to develop a range of non-retrofocal wide-angles, which will be potentially be cheaper and/or faster than the current designs.

The only limitations that the K-01 will have are that using the throat of the mount restricts the diameter of the rear elements in the group, and that the incidence angles at the sensor edges may be too great for the micro-lens array, but the designs can be less complex than retrofocals. Obviously, any such lenses won't work on the DSLRs, but it potentially makes the K-01 an interesting camera for landscapers on a budget.

An EVF option would make it more flexible, particularly for bright ambient work, but a lot of great work is done in places where this isn't an issue, and as others have pointed out, you can always use an LCD hood, or even a blackout cover, just like in the early days!
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I imagine the big advantage for the K-01 will be the opportunity to develop a range of non-retrofocal wide-angles, which will be potentially be cheaper and/or faster than the current designs.

The only limitations that the K-01 will have are that using the throat of the mount restricts the diameter of the rear elements in the group, and that the incidence angles at the sensor edges may be too great for the micro-lens array, but the designs can be less complex than retrofocals. Obviously, any such lenses won't work on the DSLRs, but it potentially makes the K-01 an interesting camera for landscapers on a budget.

An EVF option would make it more flexible, particularly for bright ambient work, but a lot of great work is done in places where this isn't an issue, and as others have pointed out, you can always use an LCD hood, or even a blackout cover, just like in the early days!
a blackout cover when folded up takes more bag space than this with a da21 will the folding shades are a cheap fix (less than $30) and the loupe type have some focusing advantages as well like a 3X magnifier on the $99 hoodman for example
you are right though in a good percentage of cases no shade will be needed. (if you live in barcelona though it will be a pretty permanent attachment based on the 2 weeks i spent there last fall - Canada in winter meh not so important, low light performance counts far more)

02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Pentax Canada has the same info (they are just slow getting the site changed)

I worried as well and that was one of the first things i looked at. One of the lenses I was thinking of buying is the FA43. I know it's a superior lens but this FL is close and for not much more than the 43 it comes with a camera lens cap
Theres been so much banter and speculation that it's good to be getting some solid specs on these things. Pentax Canada has been in the lead in many ways on this which is nice. I'm wondering what the new 40XS will sell for on its own? I haven't been able to see it listed anywhere other than bundled with the K-01.
02-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I found somewhere that lens itself would cost 249$. Can't confirm or prove it though.
02-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
I found somewhere that lens itself would cost 249$. Can't confirm or prove it though.
From the Pentax press release

QuoteQuote:
The smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS unifocal interchangeable standard lens will ship at the same time for $249.95 USD.
02-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
From the Pentax press release
Gracias. Seems a bit much given the 35/2.4 is listed at $219. If the same ratio of List/street prices holds it should sell for around $192 and change once the dust settles
02-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #27
Banned

I wonder if this lens is thinner than the old Fish-Eye-Takumar 18mm f/11? as far as I knew, that was the thinnest interchangeable lens, and this one looks to be about the same thickness. kind of wish I still had mine to compare. at a possible 249 bucks I imagine I will pick one of these up. a very neat little lens!
02-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I am pretty sure that it works on any Pentax camera.
What difference should there be?
I probably read a little more about this lens. AFAIK, this lens is different than DA40 because it was made smaller to fit for the APS size sensor only, while we know DA40 could cover a FF sensor. When people say this lens is designed for K01 I think it is because it has short throw so the CDAF could be faster. I am very sure it can be used in other DSLRs because I saw somebody had mounted it on a K-5 and took many photos.
02-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Yes, fixed focal length is not fixed focus distance. Ain't many commercial fixed-focus lenses.

Yes, this XS lens will work (within obvious limitations) on any K-mount camera, new or old.

Yes, there's room for lens elements to project further into the camera body. But no, I don't think Pentax will make such lenses, because if misused on a SLR, they would foul or damage the mirror. Would you sell lenses that you knew would break your brand's cameras?
02-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #30

Original Poster
Just checked the new lens announcement and they really go for this direction. Great

http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/announce/info-image/20120208_6.jpg