Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #1

Evf/ovf?

Now that the K-01 is announced and the rumor mill isn't needed for it any longer, is there any hint that Pentax will offer some kind of external EVF/OVF?

In the pictures that I have seen, there is no provision for an external EVF/OVF. While the LCD is probably good enough for the P&S style of shooting, I doubt it will work very well with the longer/heavier lens. I know Ricoh has an external EVF for the GXR but the K-01 doesn't seem to have a place to connect such a device.

I haven't decided how I feel about the looks but I suspect I will get used to it. If I were to buy one, I would get a body and put one of my 28mm f2.8 lenses on for a "normal" view. The 40mm XS is just too narrow a view for me. I can't see resorting to stitching multiple shots to go wider. Now if the camera has built-in option like some cell phones [e.g., Droid X2] to automate the process, I might be able to live with it.

I have a istDS that I really like. I will be looking at the K-R successor or maybe a K-5 if the price comes down some when the successor to it is released. I was hoping the K-01 would be a possible companion to my DSLR but I was hoping for something smaller, say the size of my MX

02-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the Sony NEX series is anything to go by, an external EVF could be an option in the future.
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
If the Sony NEX series is anything to go by, an external EVF could be an option in the future.
To refine my question a little, on the cameras with an external EVF, it mounts in the place of a external flash [the K-01 has a mount point] and then plugs into some kind of connector [K-01 doesn't appear to have this].

Is the lack of a connector slot an indication that any future external EVF will connect to a k-01 follow-on model, but never be able to connect to the K-01?
02-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bencason Quote
To refine my question a little, on the cameras with an external EVF, it mounts in the place of a external flash [the K-01 has a mount point] and then plugs into some kind of connector [K-01 doesn't appear to have this].

Is the lack of a connector slot an indication that any future external EVF will connect to a k-01 follow-on model, but never be able to connect to the K-01?
I'm thinking that we'll have to wait for the K-02 to have a viewfinder.

02-02-2012, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm thinking that we'll have to wait for the K-02 to have a viewfinder.
Yep, looks like I'll be waiting for a K-02 then.
02-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Something I would like to see in the future is a small external flash with EVF built in.
02-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Banned

Well a dedicated ovf to go with the 40mm/f2.8 lens would be cool. That and the option to set the backscreen to black to safe battery would make a good combo.

02-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I am sure some one will make a cover or shade for the LCD to enable the image visible under bright daylight.
02-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Forum Member

Yeah, the MX / ME are the the sweet spot IMHO... I was kinda thinking the K-01 might be the modern-day equivalent, but the lack of viewfinder makes it a non-contender. Oh well.

Waitin' for the K-02 announcement...
02-02-2012, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I don't think an external EVF would be too hard to do for Pentax.

It would just involve adding a mini-HDMI input into something like the Ricoh VF-2 LCD Viewfinder, with a short cable to plug the EVF into the full HDMI output of the K-01.

VF-2 LCD Viewfinder
An LCD viewfinder that attaches to the hot shoe of the camera body. It has a 100% field of view equivalent to approximately 920,000 dots. (Case included)"

Name:  other_vf2_up.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  32.0 KB
02-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I don't think an external EVF would be too hard to do for Pentax.

It would just involve adding a mini-HDMI input into something like the Ricoh VF-2 LCD Viewfinder, with a short cable to plug the EVF into the full HDMI output of the K-01.

VF-2 LCD Viewfinder
An LCD viewfinder that attaches to the hot shoe of the camera body. It has a 100% field of view equivalent to approximately 920,000 dots. (Case included)"
If Pentax/Ricoh offers this for the K-01, I'd be a lot more interested in the K-01. I have an aging istDS to replace some day soon. I was planning on K-r level camera but I have been wondering if Pentax intends the K-01 to be the K-r follow-on. This would give them a 3 body product line of entry level: K-01, enthusiast: K-5, pro: 645D which is probably the minimum they need to compete in the future. The p&s market is likely going to decline as camera-phones take over in the always-with-you, snapshot market. This leaves the higher end of the camera market as the place of intense competition.
02-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

but with evf build in, this thing really not any smaller than k-5 or k-r..
02-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
but with evf build in, this thing really not any smaller than k-5 or k-r..
Very true. I do expect two dslr cameras from Pentax this year. I am guessing the low end one will be the K-01 but with an optical pentamirror viewfinder. The second will be the K-5 replacement with the Sony 24 MP sensor. The two dslr cameras might even have a hybrid optical/digital viewfinder. This will give Pentax a three tier K-mount camera system.
02-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mirror image firmware

For me, what the K-01 needs is mirroring/inverting firmware and a cheap mirror attached at 45° to the bottom of the camera. Set it to 1:1 and presto, a digital Rollei.

Ready for a waist-level finder,anyone?
02-03-2012, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Some of my favourite photography is star fields at night. An LCD viewfinder can not display stars. You just get a blank grey view! So I can not compose star-scapes that might include key features such as the Milky Way comets, satellites, meteors etc. With the K-01 LCD-only view finder you are shooting blind just as with low end p&s cameras! Thank goodness I have my K-x with optical pentamirror viewing!

PS
Some years ago I was helping a visitor take an image of Comet McNaught with her digital camera equipped only with and LCD. McNaught was one of the great comets and crowds were lined up along our shore to view it in the west. The comet simply was not visible on the LCD. We tried guessing the aim and zoom settings over dozens of exposures in the hope of getting a good composition. Yes we finally got a nice shot got but only after a lot of frustrating guesswork that would not have occurred with optical pentamirror viewing.

Last edited by marty-0750; 02-03-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Terminology