Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why I look forward to using an LCD loupe...

I have to admit that I've been looking forward to seeing a mirrorless camera with an established SLR mount, and even happier that it's a pentax. While I hope that we see a serious EVF in some future models, I find the prospect of working with an LCD loupe as a viewfinder very appealing as a result of one seemingly minor, but perpetually irritating issue:

When I raise the OVF of my K-x (or previously my 40D or K20D) to my eye, the entrance pupil for what I'm seeing is suddenly about an inch and a half lower than my naked eye was a moment before. This changes the perspective. It's only a tiny difference, yes, but focusing lately on precise composition, often visualized before I lift the camera to my eye, it's become a constant peeve of mine (being short and having to fight for every inch of higher perspective I need can't be helping). A loupe on the LCD is going to be on a just about level plane with the entrance pupil.

Now, yes, I could put the same loupe on my K-x or any other DSLR with live view, but then I have a protruding VF hump and protruding grip to deal with, which is a major con when I'm the sort of person who runs with a backpack as a normal mode of transportation. The smaller and more streamlined the camera the better, and a tough aluminum body doesn't hurt. It'll also probably have better AF, battery life, and general functioning in live view than those DSLRs. I could put the same loupe on any of the mirrorless cameras on the market for the same advantage (smaller, even), but they won't take K-mount lenses natively. And nothing is more satisfying to me than sticking a diminutive, mechanically-beautiful 40-year-old-lens that cost me under $50 directly onto a K-mount DSLR and enjoying perfect integration and excellent optics.

So I'm glad to see Pentax thinking outside the mirrorbox in making this little box of a camera which should someday be arriving in a little carboard box at the door of whatever wooden box I'll be living in at the point when the K-01/40mm kit hits the $600-700 range. And it will. Because while it does fit my particular preferences extremely well, I am cognizant of the fact that that's a rather narrow and peculiar set of criteria!

Last note: just picked up the mention of manual focus peaking. Call it a sealed deal.

Last edited by er1kksen; 02-02-2012 at 09:02 AM.
02-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
When I raise the OVF of my K-x (or previously my 40D or K20D) to my eye, the entrance pupil for what I'm seeing is suddenly about an inch and a half lower than my naked eye was a moment before. This changes the perspective. It's only a tiny difference, yes, but focusing lately on precise composition, often visualized before I lift the camera to my eye, it's become a constant peeve of mine (being short and having to fight for every inch of higher perspective I need can't be helping). A loupe on the LCD is going to be on a just about level plane with the entrance pupil.
You could also just walk around slightly hunched over.
02-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just hold your k-x upside-down. :-)
02-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If I took all my photographic technique advice from this forum I'd end up with compressed vertebrae in my spine. :-P

However, tim, now that you've sparked that idea I just may use it on occasion. Congratulations on convincing another Pentaxian to make himself look like an idiot in public. :-D

02-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm intrigued by your premise, especially since I'll probably use the K-01 for video if I buy it. Anyone have some good loupe recommendations?
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe a good place to collect some field experience with different loupes. I'm looking into it myself, but not yet knowing what to take. Zacuto is very expensive. How is Hoodman? What others do you use?
03-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I received a Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x yesterday. Best MF screen I have ever used FWIW. There were some demo units available on Zacuto`s website a few days ago. That is what I bought and I don`t believe it was ever out of the box.
03-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Would be nice to see it attached to the camera and maybe some info about how easy it works to attache it and to use it (small and big lenses).

03-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'm intrigued by your premise, especially since I'll probably use the K-01 for video if I buy it. Anyone have some good loupe recommendations?
I purchased the Meike MK-VF100 LCDVF on ebay from Foto-Tip who are located in Poland and run the website LensTip.com. I paid $79.99 back in 2010.
03-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #10

Has anyone tried the ClearViewer on a K-01 yet? It has worked extremely well on my Pentax Q for the little while I have had it and does not add the bulk the other loupes do.
03-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by moli4 Quote
Has anyone tried the ClearViewer on a K-01 yet? It has worked extremely well on my Pentax Q for the little while I have had it and does not add the bulk the other loupes do.
http://www.clearviewer.com/Products.html

QuoteQuote:
The tripod- socket- mount viewer extended for use. The 1" diameter lens is extended to about 2 inches from the LCD.
I don't think that provides the same view of the LCD as the LCDVF in bright sunshine.

Last edited by jogiba; 03-12-2012 at 08:05 AM.
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a cheap one bought on amazon for 50 or 60 bucks..
It works fine...It is just the build quality is cheap..might not last very long..