Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Go Go Pentax America Marketing!

So, head over to pentaximaging.com and look at all the hype they have about the K-01. The pictures of this camera are all over the place on that site, lots of hype, endorsements from major celebrities, quotes from noted photographers ...

Oh wait, that was just the images in my head. IN REALITY they have have all the same old, same old, and a tiny scroll under press archives that says

"PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION INTRODUCES PENTAX K-01 DESIGNED BY ..." and a link to the press release.

Great job guys, way to stoke the excitement.

By the way, the title of this thread was imagined in my head as Don Adams's Inspector Gadget.

But maybe it should just be an imperative statement.

02-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heh. At least you saw the tiny scroll. I went there earlier and I had to check to be sure I was actually at a Pentax website.

Ned? John?? Knock knock. Anyone home??
02-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
So, head over to pentaximaging.com and look at all the hype they have about the K-01. The pictures of this camera are all over the place on that site, lots of hype, endorsements from major celebrities, quotes from noted photographers ...

Oh wait, that was just the images in my head. IN REALITY they have have all the same old, same old, and a tiny scroll under press archives that says

"PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION INTRODUCES PENTAX K-01 DESIGNED BY ..." and a link to the press release.

Great job guys, way to stoke the excitement.

By the way, the title of this thread was imagined in my head as Don Adams's Inspector Gadget.

But maybe it should just be an imperative statement.
They want you to buy the stuff they have available now, not sit on your hands until the new thing is on sale...
02-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Vil
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
That's pretty bad. At least Pentax Canada has it on the front page.

Pentax Canada | K-01

02-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I already have seen the press release a few times. So I guess I will save myself some time and not go to Pentax USA website.
02-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax Canada and Pentax UK have become my English language sources for ALL THINGS Pentax because Pentax USA is just plain sad, really, really, really sad.
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter

This just goes right along with the fact that in the U.S., Pentax is generally not available in actual stores. Is the market share really that much higher in Canada and the UK where they can still warrant shelf space? All impressions point towards Pentax not being too concerned with the US market.
02-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Pentax USA Twitter feed is active, but only has two minimal items:

Pentax USA Twitter

Other worldwide official Pentax Twitter feeds are getting pretty busy:

Worldwide Pentax Twitters

02-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
This just goes right along with the fact that in the U.S., Pentax is generally not available in actual stores. Is the market share really that much higher in Canada and the UK where they can still warrant shelf space? All impressions point towards Pentax not being too concerned with the US market.
You know what helps when you don't have a strong brick-and-mortar presence?

A strong web-based presence.
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I saw some stuff on the Pentax Facebook page. Is that based out of America primarily? I think Pentax Japan and Pentax UK have their own pages.
02-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Lens Buying Addict

The PentaxUSA page has the date January 31, 2012 prominently highlighted in the main body of the page.

Please note that today is February 2nd.

Ned? John? Knock knock. Anybody home?
02-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like what you people here need is another sensational introductory video by Pentax USA like they did with the K-5...
02-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I am happy to live in Canada . Pentax Canada have done a good job lately and participate in a lot of in store demonstration. Time to get rid of the Pentax USA senate
02-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Must be, there are quite a few stores in my area that carry a wide selection of Pentax gear.
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think they need any marketing. Technophiles of the camera persuasion are giving this thing tons of free publicity with stark raving mad visions of the apocalypse on every camera forum on the internet -- meanwhile people who are the target demographic are thinking to themselves "cute camera" I think I'll buy that to take pictures rather than this 5 year old cybershot I've got.