Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #46
Banned

Photos: Albums
I already started my move by getting an E-PL2.

I do not intend to buy another DSLR.

And it looks like I won't buy Pentax products for a while either.

02-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My take

If no EVF, the screen has to be able to articulate.
I have mixed feelings about the design. Will get a K5 first when K5 replacement is here.

Last edited by yyyzzz; 02-03-2012 at 12:15 AM.
02-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is a searching for news thread. Now that K-01 specs are out, and it looks like a great trimmed down K-5, who is going to buy it? And especially the question:

Who is moving from Pentax dslr (whatever K-5/7, K20D/K10D, K-r/x/m or *Ist) to this new mirrorless K-01 now that all old lenses can be used?
Not me! I can't have a camera without a viewfinder! It's slightly tempting as a video only body, but I'm pretty confident that the "k-3" will have that too. If anything, this announcement has encouraged me to wait for the K-5's successor rather than upgrade now!
02-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Not me! I can't have a camera without a viewfinder!
+ 1 on that.

If I go mirrorless it will be the Canon GX1, or maybe the Fuji XPro 1 if my lotto numbers come up.

I am struggleing to se the point in the K-01, for DSLR users - K5 especially - but I do hope it lures P&S shooters into the Penatx interchaneable lens fold and is a success in that.

Bill

(yes, I do know the Canon is fixed lens)

02-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
If I go mirrorless it will be the Canon GX1, or maybe the Fuji XPro 1 if my lotto numbers come up.
I don't really see the point of either of those. I'm sure the Fuji takes wonderful pictures, but it's extremely expensive and while a little lighter, it's not really smaller than a DSLR (wider than a K-5 and also taller with exception of the pentaprism). Same goes for the G1 X - it's almost as big and heavy as a DSLR despite a slightly smaller sensor, it's also relatively expensive. And then it's probably the ugliest camera money can buy.

At this point the only mirrorless that makes some sense to me is the NEX-7. But the only really interesting lens for it is both big and expensive...
02-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #51
Forum Member

Not a chance. I couldn't care less how good or bad the camera looks (although I like some elements of it, the design as a whole is very incoherent) but it has all the hallmarks of a handling horror. No viewfinder spells instant disaster. No thumb grip on the back. No tilting screen, so you'll have to hold this heavy, bulky camera out in front of you to see the screen. And you'd better be hoping it's not slightly sunny, otherwise you won't see much on the screen.

And I just wish Pentax would realise sticking a thin pancake on a brick of a body does not make a small camera.

For me, mirrorless still isn't there (although I use a PEN as a travel camera), but I can't think of a single reason to buy this camera when there are good deals on K-r and K-5.

The way Pentax is going at this rate, I may well end up going mirrorless, but it'll be Olympus and/or Fuji.
02-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Well... I am not sure. I have a NEX-5N which I like quite a lot. Yes, the ergonomics are awful, it has very little charm, but I can fit it in my pocket with the snazzy MS Optical Super-Triplet Perar 3.5/35mm and all those nice M-mount lenses are sooo tempting. Got the Zeiss 18/4 on its way and you can adapt any lens to it - Rokkor 58/1.2, Canon FD 55/1.2 Aspherical, those fantastic and bargain prices Zeiss Contax lenses, not to mention the Leica M's.

The only drawback is that occasionally AF is nice, like birding, fast action, kids running around.

In addition to all of the above I can't locate my Pentax battery charger just at the moment, so the K-5 is lying asleep...

Should I let it go, along with all those fantastic Pentax primes and go for the small Sony? Hmmm....

02-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I personally don't like the styling, but, if cheap enough, to have as a P&S, just for happy snaps and the like it seems like the logical solution to buy, and then, Pentax has made it K-mount, so "if" I feel like it I "can" use any of my K mount lenses on it. I don't see it as any kind of replacement to my DSLR, nor a new direction for my photography, but it certainly does make more sense for me, to have as a P&S thats upgradable.

Arrrrrrrrrr.

cmohr

ammendum..

I'm not saying I'm going to jump out and buy one, I'm still waiting for a FF.

Last edited by cmohr; 02-03-2012 at 03:53 AM.
02-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I was waiting for more info on the K-01 since I really need something as back-up or complement for my K20. After using a panasonic with EVF and tilting screen, I found it very user friendly, but it was a few years back and the IQ as well as the shutter delay made it relatively useless for me. I think that DSLR as such with a mirror box etc is on the way out. Needless complication with not real advantage if you can have a mirrorless with useful VF ( think 300mm DA* held at arms lenght in bright sunlight), but I am sure newer models will have an EVF with good manual focussing enlargement of the screen, articulated rear screen and WR. Then I will buy it, but I have ordered a K5 in the meanwhile
02-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #55
Veteran Member

K-01 is not for existing DSLR owners

I don't think the K-01 is aimed at current DSLR owners. Rather, it's aimed at P&S owners who have become more keen on photography, but are (not yet) ready for a DSLR.

The K-01 is the only mirrorless offering that will let those people reuse their lenses if they grow out of the K-01 and into a DSLR! A mirrorless with a DSLR upgrade path - how about that!

Regards,
--Anders.
02-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #56
Veteran Member

If I go mirrorless it might be the K-01 becuase it can use all my wonderfull Pentax lenses. But since the K-01 is not that much smaller than my K-5 and I lose the viewfinder I will most likely stay with my K-5. The mirrorless cameras that really interest me are:
1. Olympus E-M5 with it's EVF and swivel LCD along with the new lenses they are coming out with.
2. Sony Nex-7, but doesn't have a god selection of native lenses yet.
3. Fuji Pro X-1, but is extremely expensive not much size advantage and not many native lenses.

I really think that Pentax will be coming up with a few exciting cameras this summer. From the interview with the Pentax R&D person he mentioned 100% viefinders and smaller dslr several times. There are rumors of the K300 and K-30 floating around. There is a Pentax patent for a hydrid optical/digital viewfinder. Samsung is about to release a transparent OLED. So I am guessing there will be a K-300 in the general shape of the K-1 with a optical/digital pentamirror viewfinder. Then there will be a K-30 with a digital/optical pentaprism viewfinder. So we will have a three tier level of K-mount cameras with the K-01 being the intro -level, a K-300 being the mid-level and the K-30 being a pro-spec camera with all the goodies.

Dave
02-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #57
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
The K-01 is the only mirrorless offering that will let those people reuse their lenses if they grow out of the K-01 and into a DSLR! A mirrorless with a DSLR upgrade path - how about that!
Yes, that is the "sales pitch". Let's see how it works in real life now.
02-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I'd buy the k-01 if I had a k-5 first. I could see this as my "compact" camera. As far as mirrorless in general? I think everyone will be mirrorless in 5-10 years and we won't have much of a choice. Now that Pentax has shown that you can have a mirrorless camera and still support your current mount, I think that will be the trend for C&N.
02-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The mirrorless cameras that really interest me are:
1. Olympus E-M5 with it's EVF and swivel LCD along with the new lenses they are coming out with.
2. Sony Nex-7, but doesn't have a god selection of native lenses yet.
3. Fuji Pro X-1, but is extremely expensive not much size advantage and not many native lenses.
Dave, in a perfect world I'd be right there with you. But my days of paying $1000+ for camera bodies are over. I managed to get my K-5, with extra battery and sales tax, for under $1000. But all of my micro four-thirds gear was relatively inexpensive: G3 body and E-PM1 with kit lens, each at $450. And every one of my micro four-thirds lenses, all purchased new, cost under $500 - even the Lumix 100-300mm. Most were more like $300-$350.

Still, as you say, it looks like Pentax has other offerings in the pipeline - mirrorless and traditional DSLRs, some with built-in EVFs. So, even though I won't be buying a K-01, I am by no means upset. This is just the beginning of Pentax under Ricoh. All signs are looking upward.
02-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #60
Veteran Member

After owning the Panasonic GH2 for a year and seeing how mirrorless is continuing to evolve, I suspect that the K-5 will be the last mirrored camera that I buy.