Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am thinking about moving, but not with this camera. I am very interested into the Ricoh GXR, if they come out with a 16MP sensor-mount for KAF, and revamp the M mount with the same 16MP. While I appreciate the K-01, with some doubt on the design, I want an EVF, two wheels, 14 BIT Raw, everything we take for granted with the K-5. I could wait for a (foreseeable) upper level K-02, but if Ricoh would make a KAF mount for the GXR I would prefer it, to be able to swap it with the Leica mount to have a slimmer body to use with Voigtlander lenses.

02-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i do not think the k01 is meant as a k5 replacement... it just uses the same sensor which is old tech now.

we will all be moving over the mirrorless one day when the SLR goes the way of the dinosaur, its pretty inevitable i think.
02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #63

The K-01 isn't a candidate for me because it lacks a viewfinder. I would consider it or a similar camera with EFV, but I doubt I'll be upgrading my K-x in the next 12 months regardless. (Even though it's not for me, I'm pleased it has a K-mount. I don't much care about the styling, although I'm rather inclined to a "toy" look because I like being underestimated.)
02-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
After owning the Panasonic GH2 for a year and seeing how mirrorless is continuing to evolve, I suspect that the K-5 will be the last mirrored camera that I buy.
John, you and I have discussed this before... I am in 100% agreement. My K-5 is likely my last "real" DSLR.

02-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
John, you and I have discussed this before... I am in 100% agreement. My K-5 is likely my last "real" DSLR.
Yup, and what a way to go out; I love the K-5 more than a man should love an inanimate object!
02-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
If no EVF, the screen has to be able to articulate.
That was a major obstacle for me too until I read the specs. more closely. Although the screen doesn't articulate, it is constructed so that you can get a clear view from 170 degrees vertical to it, or horizontally too, making it great for low angle or high angle shooting. Or so they say. I will have to see. But if it works as advertised, and if they put it on a new dSLR, I will be all over THAT like a duck on a June bug. Summer will tell, I suppose.
02-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would seriously consider it if included a viewfinder (integrated), had all the exposure modes and the new AF was up to snuff.

02-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
My K-m can use all my K lenses, minus the cons of the K-01. BTW, I wonder where is the thumb rest. I hope it won't slip like a soap.
Does your K-m have the latest 16MP sensor from Sony? I didn't think so. Too bad, because if it weren't for that single difference, your K-m would produce IQ just as good as the K-01.

Rob
02-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #69
Inactive Account

I need a VF. An EVF, if they decide to make one, would probably cost say...$200 or 250.so that brings the cost up closer to the K-5....It might be a hard choice then. I'll wait to see if a EVF becomes available and then have another look.
02-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #70

I'll go Mirrorless at some stage. Mostly it will be for the flash sync speed. A shorter registration distance would give me some lens flexibility too. Although I like the size and speed of smaller format lenses, I'm reluctant to go beyond m43, as there's not at much depth of field control.
02-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I'll definitely be heading mirrorless in the future, depending on who releases the first FF Mirrorless setup.. hopefully this year. I'm hoping Pentax comes out of the gates near the front of the pack of releases.. but I won't hold my breath.
02-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Does your K-m have the latest 16MP sensor from Sony? I didn't think so. Too bad, because if it weren't for that single difference, your K-m would produce IQ just as good as the K-01.

Rob
The sensor alone wouldn't... the difference in the PRIME processing engines have a lot to do with final IQ as well, why else does the K-5 beat the D7000 for overall IQ? It's in the processing!
02-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Although the screen doesn't articulate, it is constructed so that you can get a clear view from 170 degrees vertical to it, or horizontally too, making it great for low angle or high angle shooting. Or so they say.
For stability, if I can't hold it to my eye, I'd want to hold it to my chest. I don't think that will be practical without an articulated screen.

For me this is about market segmentation. The K-01 is designed not to cannibalise the sales of the eventual K-R replacement.
02-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
For stability, if I can't hold it to my eye, I'd want to hold it to my chest. I don't think that will be practical without an articulated screen.

For me this is about market segmentation. The K-01 is designed not to cannibalise the sales of the eventual K-R replacement.
I agree, if the K-3 or whatever is supposed to be dropped next as the K-r's replacement, they wouldn't want this K-01 to outshine it.. hence why I think it's stripped of many possible features.
02-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #75

I'm interested but would like to hold and fondle a K-01 first before replacong my K 7. I'm a bit squeamish about Pentax (now /Ricoh) first releases.