Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ahhh..........we shall never be satisfied, shall we?

I think Pentax made an intelligent choice and wish them success with their offerings of a very flexible system (who else offers a mirrorless access to so many lenses, both old and new) with a large quality sensor AND some more features and improvements at an attractive price level.

But to all those who are soooo unhappy now: Don't be religious about brand names; go find another brand and model that suits you better (or build one and take the commercial risk yourself). Of course there will be room for add-ons and improvements, and if the K-01 is a success that will come.

I think there will indeed prove to be a market for this type of system camera. Myself --- , I am happy with my K-5 and my K200D. I am for DSLRs, but I am surely happy to see the commitment to the K-mount future and I do wish Pentax success with this novel camera.

02-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I said "in normal lighting"
I'd love to know what kind of lighting on planet Earth could be more normal than sunlight.

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
Sorry haters, but I have to say, K-01 looks awesome. Case closed, good night
Hey, some guy on the internet says it's good. Well don't we all feel silly. At least we know now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
But to all those who are soooo unhappy now: Don't be religious about brand names; go find another brand and model that suits you better
That's exactly what concerns me, the bigger picture. If this camera does indeed flop, it's going to hurt us all, regardless of what model we have and like. Same with any new release, but moreso in this case, as a lot of people will be judging the whole Ricoh takeover and the future of Pentax on what happens this year. It doesn't sound like they're making piles of money with the Q either.
02-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
first the Kx finder you use is a lousy finder compared to old film ones, but Pentax has said all future OVF will be 100% finders. i imagine the dimmer pentamirror will be the low end and the pentaprism will remain in the high end. The large 35mm finder is a function of the larger film size. a FF body will have a large OVF.
one of the reasons to buy up to a K5/K7 is the brighter Pentaprism finder.
all the other reason apply to the LCD as well.
A 100%, pentaprism OVF makes cameras both more expensive and bulky, and it still doesn't offer the same magnification you used to get at 35mm. An EVF can offer the same magnification of 35mm (or more) independent of the sensor size.

Can't really compare MILC w/ EVF to high-end DSLR I'm afraid, it's apples to oranges.

Reality is the is the entry product not the top model. it's the first step into the market and stiocks to a reasonable pricve.
Reality is that Pentax just announced the K-01 and no other upcoming K-mount mirrorless. Given they already released the Q, this was supposed to be the higher-end mirrorless.

The Nex 7 has what you want (at a much higher price. so does the Xpro1 also a much higher price. the Nex 5 optional EVF adds $400 to the nex price (sony store price), the NEX OVF is $250 (like the Q one) - which i find stupidly expensive.
The Nex is not K-mount, and feels more of a gadget than a camera, no controls at hand. Fuji is rangefinder, and a whole new mount too. So, it is not too hard to see that there is a market for a K-mount, APS-C mirrorless with a viewfinder, and Pentax just missed it.

Hopefully they will get next models right, but given the latest releases (Q, K-01) I'm afraid Pentax is losing touch with it's market
02-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Given they already released the Q, this was supposed to be the higher-end mirrorless.
Who said that? Who, with any authority, claimed that this was supposed to be the higher-end mirrorless? I don't recall anyone from Pentax saying that prior to the announcement - and, no one is certainly saying it now.

People needlessly riled themselves up with expectations when rumours emerged of the release of a mirrorless. Expecting a K-5 replacement off the bat and now people are disappointed because their baseless expectations have been dashed? What sort is that?

02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I think there will indeed prove to be a market for this type of system camera. Myself --- , I am happy with my K-5 and my K200D. I am for DSLRs, but I am surely happy to see the commitment to the K-mount future and I do wish Pentax success with this novel camera.
You're a satisfied Pentax consumer, like myself. Still, not even yourself want to buy the K-01.

See the problem? What kind of success can a company expect if it can't even market it's new products to it's current consumer base? Pentax doesn't need you wishing for their success, they need your money.
02-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Who said that? Who, with any authority, claimed that this was supposed to be the higher-end mirrorless? I don't recall anyone from Pentax saying that prior to the announcement - and, no one is certainly saying it now.
You can find in this very site the interview with Pentax, about a year ago, in which they said they would release two mirrorless systems. They released the Q, which stands for Queen, and said that soon they would unveil it's King.

Happy?

And whoever said this was K-5 replacement was under influence of drugs too. It's obvious they will keep both product lines: DSLR and MILC.
02-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #37
Veteran Member

A 100%, pentaprism OVF makes cameras both more expensive and bulky, and it still doesn't offer the same magnification you used to get at 35mm. An EVF can offer the same magnification of 35mm (or more) independent of the sensor size.

Can't really compare MILC w/ EVF to high-end DSLR I'm afraid, it's apples to oranges.

Reality is that Pentax just announced the K-01 and no other upcoming K-mount mirrorless. Given they already released the Q, this was supposed to be the higher-end mirrorless.

The Nex is not K-mount, and feels more of a gadget than a camera, no controls at hand. Fuji is rangefinder, and a whole new mount too. So, it is not too hard to see that there is a market for a K-mount, APS-C mirrorless with a viewfinder, and Pentax just missed it.

Hopefully they will get next models right, but given the latest releases (Q, K-01) I'm afraid Pentax is losing touch with it's market
Well given this is the bastard child of Hoya (and the last of their influence i think) it's hard to blame ricoh for it. I think we will see a broader line of apsc just like they have talked a broader line of DSLR. DSLR is a much surer bet in the market so it will be first, but i imagine there is already more mirrorless on the board as well. Ricoh seems to be serious about growing things and seem to be getting the brand back on track (rehiring engineers, releasing a roadmap for lenses....)
So it boils down to how long can you as an individual wait for what you want. I still prefer a DSLR to anything with EVF (and haven't seen an EVF I liked yet) the LCD back only on this bothers me less because If I buy it (and I'm leaning towards it) it will be for the Vidoe and I'll use it with a hoodman. For Stills i'll use the loupe or get a cheap shade, or just put my RF turret finder on top for framing and dial in an approximate FOV to the lens mounted and let the af do it's stuff
It would be nice to see a big OVF with 21/40/70 frame lines inside it for the shoe for framing shots as those are the 3 lenses most suited to the body.
for any serious still work though I will still use a DSLR (landscapes may be an exception as I think this will be excellent for that - hopefully the built in level is there )
So while this is a fail as an enthusiast camera (like the Fuji and the Nex7 are and the pending Olympus will be) it is far from being priced the same as well. the mass market is not in general those of us on the forum (it's also the market of all those people holding their camera at arms length even though it has an OVF)

02-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #38
Veteran Member

2-3cm to the height would put it at the same height as the k-5. In fact, the main savings on this camera in dimension is specifically the height, since it's thinner only by less than a cm, while it is shorter by almost 2cm.

At that point, people will complain what the heck is the point of the camera just as much. Let the external OVF/EVF come out first.
02-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #39

Pro tip: The NEX has adapters to virtually any lens, including short, small image-circle cine lenses which the K-01 simply cannot use. This includes the K-mount, and the NEX is going to work exactly the same as the K-01 (stop down metering, manual focus) with most of the best K-mount glass (the -M and -K stuff). Since it can't AF any non-SDM lens, the only thing you lose on -A, -F, and -FA glass is auto-metering. This is made up for by some of its unique manual-focus features like focus peaking.

Pentax missed it again, they should have released a FF DSLR or at least a plain jane mirrorless. This is combining the worst features of both.
02-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
Veteran Member

You can find in this very site the interview with Pentax, about a year ago, in which they said they would release two mirrorless systems. They released the Q, which stands for Queen, and said that soon they would unveil it's King.

Happy?

And whoever said this was K-5 replacement was under influence of drugs too. It's obvious they will keep both product lines: DSLR and MILC.
Nope, not happy, cause I can't find this interview or the supposed Queen and King reference. And I have searched. I did however find this post which mentions Also, as I said on another thread, note imaging-resource's speculation that the "Q" of the Q-mount stands for "Queen", akin to how the K of the K-mount stood for "King". Which, makes more sense as they're only talking primarily amount the mount as opposed to the actual camera model.
02-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
2-3cm to the height would put it at the same height as the k-5. In fact, the main savings on this camera in dimension is specifically the height, since it's thinner only by less than a cm, while it is shorter by almost 2cm.

At that point, people will complain what the heck is the point of the camera just as much. Let the external OVF/EVF come out first.
Many (respected) people already stated in this forum that there won't be any EVF or OVF, which, if it ever existed, Pentax would be mentioning on the press release already (like they did with the Q). So I'm afraid this is just going to be a crippled camera.
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Pro tip: The NEX has adapters to virtually any lens, including short, small image-circle cine lenses which the K-01 simply cannot use. This includes the K-mount, and the NEX is going to work exactly the same as the K-01 (stop down metering, manual focus) with most of the best K-mount glass (the -M and -K stuff). Since it can't AF any non-SDM lens, the only thing you lose on -A, -F, and -FA glass is auto-metering. This is made up for by some of its unique manual-focus features like focus peaking.
Problem is that NEX is just... Sony. It still feels like a gadget, using adaptors is clunky and losing AF is not an option. It's possible that the CDAF on this K-01 works pretty well, too, so it's a shame trading mirrorles for AF.

Pentax missed it again, they should have released a FF DSLR or at least a plain jane mirrorless. This is combining the worst features of both.
Finally, someone sane in this forum
02-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #43

Problem is that NEX is just... Sony. It still feels like a gadget, using adaptors is clunky and losing AF is not an option
Ouch, that's going to be a problem, because the K-01 won't autofocus non-SDM lenses anyway. Say goodbye to 90% of the legacy lenses Pentax was using to sell try and sell this... camera
02-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

And this is why I stopped reading Pentax Forums.
I get an email about the new camera with a link to this subforum. I figure 'lets check it out'.
And the the top two threads are rant/whinge threads from a bunch of whiney, self righteous heroes.

Just down-vote it in the poll ffs.
Or go rant on Reddit/facebbok/live journal/etc.
02-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #45
nah

The K-01 can autofocus screw drive, the 40mm XS is definitely not SDM.