Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
And this is why I stopped reading Pentax Forums.
I get an email about the new camera with a link to this subforum. I figure 'lets check it out'.
And the the top two threads are rant/whinge threads from a bunch of whiney, self righteous heroes.

Just down-vote it in the poll ffs.
Or go rant on Reddit/facebbok/live journal/etc.
The only one ranting here is yourself, everybody else was talking about the camera pros-cons until now

02-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
The K-01 can autofocus screw drive, the 40mm XS is definitely not SDM.
I'd be amazed if they somehow managed to fit a SDM motor in that thing
02-02-2012, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
In a parallel universe, where Pentax still made sense, they would have released this......
Pentax had the opportunity to release a really good K-mount mirrorless, but it seems they think mirrorless is not more than a toy (see Q) or only makes sense for video (K-01). It's a real shame because Canon, Nikon and Fuji will keep releasing increansigly better mirrorless cameras until a point they make sense for semi-pro/pro use, and then Pentax will be again stuck in the market - just like they lost the transition from 35mm to digital.
Man, you summed up everything perfectly, I'd sign this and send to Pentax!
Accept my respect.

Still hope they come back to their senses and switch to SLT if it's not too late.
I'd love (and would buy immediately) a Pentax "K-77" ( or whatever they'd call an A77/99 type body) with all the features of Sony PLUS Pentax high ISO performance and top of the line AF system.
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why do I get the feeling that even if it had a EVF, there would be just as many complaints? Because "new camera day" always plays out the same way every time... it's sort of like when you know someone for a long time and you hear the same stories over and over. At the end of the day, this is the camera it is. I imagine it will develop over time if the sales are good enough. Some will hate, some will like, and others will take photos (maybe... just maybe... even in full sunlight.)

Enjoy the day my fellow Pentaxians!

02-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #50
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Why do I get the feeling that even if it had a EVF, there would be just as many complaints? Because "new camera day" always plays out the same way every time... it's sort of like when you know someone for a long time and you hear the same stories over and over. At the end of the day, this is the camera it is. I imagine it will develop over time if the sales are good enough. Some will hate, some will like, and others will take photos (maybe... just maybe... even in full sunlight.)

Enjoy the day my fellow Pentaxians!
Well said!
02-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #51

Why do I get the feeling that even if it had a EVF, there would be just as many complaints? Because "new camera day" always plays out the same way every time...
This is because Pentax never listens to the community.

We say we want a FF DSLR... Pentax gives us a crop medium format camera (which is rad, don't get me wrong, I actually want a 645D bad).

We say WE WANT A FF DSLR... Pentax gives us a point-and-shoot sized mirrorless camera designed for hipsters

We say WE WANT A FF DSLR... Pentax gives us a crop-sensor mirrorless that's as bulky as a DSLR and has the long K-mount register distance and drops compatibility for non-SDM autofocus. I'm pretty much forced to conclude this is a hipster camera too.

My worst fear is that the KAF-3 mount will now be standard and support for non-SDM glass will be dropped permanently. Why not? It'll let Pentax sell you all a bunch of new lenses again.
02-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Incredible ppl here.

Look, its done deal.
Celebrate or go to sleep/work.
Don't like, don't buy
Whatever the whining, its not gonna happen for the next few months at least.

02-02-2012, 04:21 PM - 3 Likes   #53
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Not in the slightest... You're already no longer looking through the lens... so what do you gain (in normal lighting) by looking at a magnified tiny screen vs. a 3" screen?
Then you haven't used the x10...where the little optical viewfinder is superb for bright light shooting. The viewfinder zooms with the lens and is very bright and clear....amazing really. Maybe for some that have never used a viewfinder...like on a cell phone..this is acceptable to only have the LCD, but I would never own a camera without a viewfinder.......not here in Texas where the sun is blindingly brilliant even in the winter.
Regards!
02-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
and drops compatibility for non-SDM autofocus.
Where did you get this from? I coulda sworn I saw a screw drive on the photos of it.

Quick edit: Yes, I did see it:

02-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Where did you get this from? I coulda sworn I saw a screw drive on the photos of it.

Quick edit: Yes, I did see it:
Maybe I'm wrong, then. I read this thread which said it only does SDM autofocus.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173828-kaf3-mount.html

e: Or it did at the time I read it. Apparently it does do screw focus too?
02-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In another parallel universe, where the Pentax-Samsung partnership worked out, we could be well talking about this in K-mount:

Oh, well... The guys making the right bodies are not making the lenses, and vice-versa. I guess you can't eat your cake and have it too
02-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm wrong, then. I read this thread which said it only does SDM autofocus.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173828-kaf3-mount.html

e: Or it did at the time I read it. Apparently it does do screw focus too?
Yeah, it's gotta do both from the description and pictures.
02-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #58
Pentaxian

This is because Pentax never listens to the community.

We say we want a FF DSLR... Pentax gives us a crop medium format camera (which is rad, don't get me wrong, I actually want a 645D bad).

We say WE WANT A FF DSLR... Pentax gives us a point-and-shoot sized mirrorless camera designed for hipsters

We say WE WANT A FF DSLR... Pentax gives us a crop-sensor mirrorless that's as bulky as a DSLR and has the long K-mount register distance and drops compatibility for non-SDM autofocus. I'm pretty much forced to conclude this is a hipster camera too.

My worst fear is that the KAF-3 mount will now be standard and support for non-SDM glass will be dropped permanently. Why not? It'll let Pentax sell you all a bunch of new lenses again.
So should of Pentax produced a FF and not all of the other models? Is FF the only model they should make? And do all people on the forum even want FF let alone the general public?

I would guess that as a company they have looked into what they think they need to and can produce without relying on the vocal component of this forum. My guess is they are not looking to lure customers away from the K5 or even the K-r successor although some of those will buy this instead. If it is only marketed to the K5 owners it is a waste of product development.

The K-01 is not for me, and the Q certainly not either. For the price of the 645D I could get a back for my 500 C/M. I choose the K-r over the K5 as it meet my needs better. I do not expect that each time Pentax comes out with a new product that it is what I want or will buy. I do hope they continue to make new products in a variety of types as this would be the best way to grow. Would a FF sell more new units than a combination of K-01 and K5? Or even the K-01 by itself? I do not know but I do know that Nikon and Canon are still releasing many cropped sensor cameras and they have a much bigger base to market to and FF do not make up much of their market.

The product should be judged on its own and its sucess on how well it sells not on whether or not it is FF. Producing more products may not be hindering FF anyway.
02-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #59

Is a FF the only thing Canon or Nikon makes? No, but the lack of full frame is a serious hole in any professional camera lineup. They produced a camera with an even bigger sensor and a much smaller target market (the 645D). There's plenty of full frame sensors available on the market, that is no excuse at all. Doesn't Nikon buy most of their sensors from Sony?

e: And lol a 500 C/M back isn't even in the same price range as the 645D, you could probably buy three C/Ms complete with back/lens for the price of one 645D. Personally I'd go with a half dozen Pentax 67s instead. As far as I'm concerned, the existence of the 645D is perfect proof that the market would support a FF pentax DSLR.
02-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #60
Veteran Member

hcarvalhoalves:

If it will make your day, I would consider the International shipping to get it to you (even includes the Pentax adapter!)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/172326-sale-s...mm-lenses.html
I'll even help out and lend my international shipping expertise to the equation

Last edited by dgaies; 02-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.