Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

The K-01 I wish Pentax had released

In a parallel universe, where Pentax still made sense, they would have released this:

Given the body isn't so small already, just add 2-3cm to the height and cram an EVF there, FFS. Heck, you might even lose the back LCD if you can display all the info on the EV. And the mode dial position was just retarded.

I mean... come on! What kind of pipe are they smoking at Pentax product management? They just released a camera that solves a problem no one asked for:

- It's mirrorless, but doesn't offer an EVF
- It's mirrorless, but not much compact either
- Sturdy body, but not WR
- No Sv, TAv mode
- Awesome video features, but capped as a video cam since sensor overheats

The only thing it works for is video, but given it's K-mount, how many people are willing to buy into a whole new system and get new glass just to shoot video with a camera that is useless for stills?

Pentax had the opportunity to release a really good K-mount mirrorless, but it seems they think mirrorless is not more than a toy (see Q) or only makes sense for video (K-01). It's a real shame because Canon, Nikon and Fuji will keep releasing increansigly better mirrorless cameras until a point they make sense for semi-pro/pro use, and then Pentax will be again stuck in the market - just like they lost the transition from 35mm to digital.

Attached Images

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 02-02-2012 at 01:02 PM.
02-02-2012, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
oh look, another rant. Look man, they've made your camera already, it's called the K-5
02-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
oh look, another rant. Look man, they've made your camera already, it's called the K-5
It seems you didn't even read the post. How is the K-5 a mirrorless with an EVF, exactly?
02-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems to me the K-01 has an EVF already -- it's called the 3" screen. I do believe it's ELECTRONIC right and it allows you to FIND the VIEW... (not kidding)... I mean I prefer the viewfinder on my DSLR vs. LiveView, but what do you really gain?

02-02-2012, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
but what do you really gain?
The ability to see what you're shooting in full sunlight? Hell, with an EVF you could review what you've already shot when in bright light, as well.
02-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I mean I prefer the viewfinder on my DSLR vs. LiveView, but what do you really gain?
You're kidding, right?
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think having all the controls on one side is very beneficial
02-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
You're kidding, right?
Not in the slightest... You're already no longer looking through the lens... so what do you gain (in normal lighting) by looking at a magnified tiny screen vs. a 3" screen?

02-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems to me the K-01 has an EVF already -- it's called the 3" screen. I do believe it's ELECTRONIC right and it allows you to FIND the VIEW... (not kidding)... I mean I prefer the viewfinder on my DSLR vs. LiveView, but what do you really gain?
You gain the hability to actually see what are you shooting under sunlight. That's quite important!

Not to mention holding a 500g+ camera at arms-length with a zoom attached will be retarded.
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
It's a real shame because Canon, Nikon and Fuji will keep releasing increansigly better mirrorless cameras until a point they make sense for semi-pro/pro use, and then Pentax will be again stuck in the market - just like they lost the transition from 35mm to digital.
Because Canon and Nikon have really released strong contenders to the mirrorless market already, and Pentax's efforts end in 2012 with the K-01. Please.

You may not be happy with this offering, but please point me to the APS-C mirrorless cameras that Nikon and Canon currently offer. I am not aware of any. Also, it's called the K-zero-one for a reason. Expect changes and improvements to come in future iterations.
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Not in the slightest... You're already no longer looking through the lens... so what do you gain (in normal lighting) by looking at a magnified tiny screen vs. a 3" screen?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173824-k-01-i-wish-pent...ml#post1805488
02-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter

You gain the hability to actually see what are you shooting under sunlight. That's quite important!

Not to mention holding a 500g+ camera at arms-length with a zoom attached will be retarded.
My nephew is "retarded" -- I don't think this compares.

Words have meaning.
02-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I said "in normal lighting"
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I think having all the controls on one side is very beneficial
I would think too, if you could change the mode with your thumb. But the way they positioned it, you have to change hands and reach for the top plate to change it.

It's much easier if it's on the left side, so your left hand can reach the mode dial while your right hand still holds the camera, without taking your eye out of the viewfinder. Of course, that only applies if you actually have a viewfinder, hence why I changed the mode dial position this mockup.
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It seems you didn't even read the post. How is the K-5 a mirrorless with an EVF, exactly?
I read it. I can understand wanting an eye-level viewfinder; that makes sense, and the k-5 has one. But I fail to see what you want an electronic one for specifically.