Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Not only is it huge and ugly, it's worse than the NEX-5N in basically every way. Why didn't they make it thinner, and then make an official "pass-through" K-mount adapter that can autofocus? Now you have to carry around a K-mount sized camera no matter what.
The other cool part of a forum is you don't tell people what to do.

02-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,428
QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
I think the black and yellow one is beautiful
+1 ++3
02-02-2012, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #18
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
this thread is just a sad attempt at trolling. pretty much like all of the OP's threads. it should be locked.

but since its still open, ill say that while I think its pretty ugly in a traditional camera sense, I think its pretty unique and if you take the time to understand Marc Newsons design philosophy, its actually pretty cool. I think its better looking than anything olympus has come up with in the last 10 years, so thats saying a lot, considering I don't really care for the design of the K-01.

also for the record, pugs are ugly dogs. VW beetles are one of the most beautiful vehicles ever designed (the very definition of 'classic' design) and the harrier jump jet is ugly in a cool way, much like the A-10 "Warthog".
02-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Nass's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The British Isles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,210
I don't think serious photographers judge cameras by whether they're pretty or not. Pretty is nice but for me it's not the primary criteria of a camera's utility.

02-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 29
I agree that it's not on the top of my "Most beautiful cameras" but I also do not care about it. All I care is how it handles when you shoot (ergonomics), which features does it have (value for money) and how the files look like.
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member
ihasa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Midlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,054
I want to like this camera, but I must admit there are maybe one or two too many unnecessarily 'ugly' design flourishes for me, personally. The stove-pipe selector dial - why? The rounded false prism hump. The outsize controls (they would make sense on a sub-aqua camera but...)

The specs provide a solid base though, and I look forward to a pared back version designed by Japanese engineers! It will look ugly, but in a purposeful way.
02-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this thread is just a sad attempt at trolling. pretty much like all of the OP's threads. it should be locked.

but since its still open, ill say that while I think its pretty ugly in a traditional camera sense, I think its pretty unique and if you take the time to understand Marc Newsons design philosophy, its actually pretty cool. I think its better looking than anything olympus has come up with in the last 10 years, so thats saying a lot, considering I don't really care for the design of the K-01.

also for the record, pugs are ugly dogs. VW beetles are one of the most beautiful vehicles ever designed (the very definition of 'classic' design) and the harrier jump jet is ugly in a cool way, much like the A-10 "Warthog".
Aha, I was trying to think of an ugly plane and completely forgot the Warthog! Thanks
02-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,412
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I see how there is only one opinion in the world and no other opinions can exist.

I guess you're the kind of guy who thinks pugs are ugly, the volkswagon beetle is ugly, and the harrier jump jet is ugly.
Somethings are so ugly they are cute..... Pugs are one of those things..... The K01 is not. Its just ugly.

02-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I want to like this camera, but I must admit there are maybe one or two too many unnecessarily 'ugly' design flourishes for me, personally. The stove-pipe selector dial - why? The rounded false prism hump. The outsize controls (they would make sense on a sub-aqua camera but...)

The specs provide a solid base though, and I look forward to a pared back version designed by Japanese engineers! It will look ugly, but in a purposeful way.
the problem with most peoples thinking on this camera is that you are approaching it from a photographers point of view. which is exactly how Pentax has alway approached their designs. but this camera wasn't designed by Pentax, it wasn't designed by photographers or engineers. it was designed by a designer. you have to really take some time to get to know Mr. Newson and his design philosophies before asking 'Why?' because you are aiming your questions and concerns with the design at the wrong people. this is almost completely the brainchild of a designer, not a camera company. that makes a huge difference in 'why', and it should be taken into account when questioning certain areas of the design. its not a Pentax really, at least not in philosophy. its a Marc Newson.

of course this isn't to say people can't have their opinions, I just think its important to get a better understanding of what it is first. if this had been the brainchild of Pentax engineers and designers, then I think we could all collectively be going 'uh, what is this?'
02-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
Senior Member
Paul MaudDib's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 292
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The other cool part of a forum is you don't tell people what to do.
Hey, feel free to buy it, I'm just a jerk on the internet who's here to point out that for the same money you could get a similar camera that's equal in pretty much every way and has a much larger potential library of the legacy lenses that Pentax was claiming are the big reason to buy this. By making the register distance super long, Pentax barred you from using those lenses. And it can't AF non-SDM lenses, which cuts the Pentax library even more.
02-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,040
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Aha, I was trying to think of an ugly plane and completely forgot the Warthog! Thanks
The A-10 is ugly and effective. The AV-8 is just... ugly. Maybe the K-01 turns out to be like the A-10.
02-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I see how there is only one opinion in the world and no other opinions can exist.

I guess you're the kind of guy who thinks pugs are ugly, the volkswagon beetle is ugly, and the harrier jump jet is ugly.
Man, I was with you until you mentioned pugs. Those things are ugly, and they give me the creeps.
02-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
nah
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Westminster, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 280
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Hey, feel free to buy it, I'm just a jerk on the internet who's here to point out that for the same money you could get a similar camera that's equal in pretty much every way and has a much larger potential library of the legacy lenses that Pentax was claiming are the big reason to buy this. By making the register distance super long, Pentax barred you from using those lenses. And it can't AF non-SDM lenses, which cuts the Pentax library even more.
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member
mtansley's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,139
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's a camera ffs.
Well said.
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Bramela's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,281
To me, the only criteria that matters are the specifications. What lenses will it take? how does AF perform" what ISO does it provide for, etc etc.
Looks? think about it, if one says it is ugly, they are entitled to think so, but ugly only means you are worried of what others might think when you are out and about using it.

IMHO, stuff other people, if it performs up to or better than what I expect for the money, and produces expected, or better, results all is fine by me.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Ugly J-Rod Post Your Photos! 5 09-12-2011 08:04 PM
Nature Coyote Ugly daacon Post Your Photos! 10 07-26-2011 05:37 AM
Macro Ugly mug yeatzee Post Your Photos! 31 09-15-2010 12:21 AM
Macro She's got an ugly face ... volley Post Your Photos! 6 08-14-2010 12:32 PM
Ugly ducks with the ugly duckling lens rfortson Post Your Photos! 3 03-01-2007 03:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top