Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Not only is it huge and ugly, it's worse than the NEX-5N in basically every way. Why didn't they make it thinner, and then make an official "pass-through" K-mount adapter that can autofocus? Now you have to carry around a K-mount sized camera no matter what.
The other cool part of a forum is you don't tell people what to do.

02-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
I think the black and yellow one is beautiful
+1 ++3
02-02-2012, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #18
Banned

this thread is just a sad attempt at trolling. pretty much like all of the OP's threads. it should be locked.

but since its still open, ill say that while I think its pretty ugly in a traditional camera sense, I think its pretty unique and if you take the time to understand Marc Newsons design philosophy, its actually pretty cool. I think its better looking than anything olympus has come up with in the last 10 years, so thats saying a lot, considering I don't really care for the design of the K-01.

also for the record, pugs are ugly dogs. VW beetles are one of the most beautiful vehicles ever designed (the very definition of 'classic' design) and the harrier jump jet is ugly in a cool way, much like the A-10 "Warthog".
02-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think serious photographers judge cameras by whether they're pretty or not. Pretty is nice but for me it's not the primary criteria of a camera's utility.

02-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I agree that it's not on the top of my "Most beautiful cameras" but I also do not care about it. All I care is how it handles when you shoot (ergonomics), which features does it have (value for money) and how the files look like.
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I want to like this camera, but I must admit there are maybe one or two too many unnecessarily 'ugly' design flourishes for me, personally. The stove-pipe selector dial - why? The rounded false prism hump. The outsize controls (they would make sense on a sub-aqua camera but...)

The specs provide a solid base though, and I look forward to a pared back version designed by Japanese engineers! It will look ugly, but in a purposeful way.
02-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this thread is just a sad attempt at trolling. pretty much like all of the OP's threads. it should be locked.

but since its still open, ill say that while I think its pretty ugly in a traditional camera sense, I think its pretty unique and if you take the time to understand Marc Newsons design philosophy, its actually pretty cool. I think its better looking than anything olympus has come up with in the last 10 years, so thats saying a lot, considering I don't really care for the design of the K-01.

also for the record, pugs are ugly dogs. VW beetles are one of the most beautiful vehicles ever designed (the very definition of 'classic' design) and the harrier jump jet is ugly in a cool way, much like the A-10 "Warthog".
Aha, I was trying to think of an ugly plane and completely forgot the Warthog! Thanks

02-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I see how there is only one opinion in the world and no other opinions can exist.

I guess you're the kind of guy who thinks pugs are ugly, the volkswagon beetle is ugly, and the harrier jump jet is ugly.
Somethings are so ugly they are cute..... Pugs are one of those things..... The K01 is not. Its just ugly.
02-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I want to like this camera, but I must admit there are maybe one or two too many unnecessarily 'ugly' design flourishes for me, personally. The stove-pipe selector dial - why? The rounded false prism hump. The outsize controls (they would make sense on a sub-aqua camera but...)

The specs provide a solid base though, and I look forward to a pared back version designed by Japanese engineers! It will look ugly, but in a purposeful way.
the problem with most peoples thinking on this camera is that you are approaching it from a photographers point of view. which is exactly how Pentax has alway approached their designs. but this camera wasn't designed by Pentax, it wasn't designed by photographers or engineers. it was designed by a designer. you have to really take some time to get to know Mr. Newson and his design philosophies before asking 'Why?' because you are aiming your questions and concerns with the design at the wrong people. this is almost completely the brainchild of a designer, not a camera company. that makes a huge difference in 'why', and it should be taken into account when questioning certain areas of the design. its not a Pentax really, at least not in philosophy. its a Marc Newson.

of course this isn't to say people can't have their opinions, I just think its important to get a better understanding of what it is first. if this had been the brainchild of Pentax engineers and designers, then I think we could all collectively be going 'uh, what is this?'
02-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The other cool part of a forum is you don't tell people what to do.
Hey, feel free to buy it, I'm just a jerk on the internet who's here to point out that for the same money you could get a similar camera that's equal in pretty much every way and has a much larger potential library of the legacy lenses that Pentax was claiming are the big reason to buy this. By making the register distance super long, Pentax barred you from using those lenses. And it can't AF non-SDM lenses, which cuts the Pentax library even more.
02-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aha, I was trying to think of an ugly plane and completely forgot the Warthog! Thanks
The A-10 is ugly and effective. The AV-8 is just... ugly. Maybe the K-01 turns out to be like the A-10.
02-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see how there is only one opinion in the world and no other opinions can exist.

I guess you're the kind of guy who thinks pugs are ugly, the volkswagon beetle is ugly, and the harrier jump jet is ugly.
Man, I was with you until you mentioned pugs. Those things are ugly, and they give me the creeps.
02-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Hey, feel free to buy it, I'm just a jerk on the internet who's here to point out that for the same money you could get a similar camera that's equal in pretty much every way and has a much larger potential library of the legacy lenses that Pentax was claiming are the big reason to buy this. By making the register distance super long, Pentax barred you from using those lenses. And it can't AF non-SDM lenses, which cuts the Pentax library even more.
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's a camera ffs.
Well said.
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

To me, the only criteria that matters are the specifications. What lenses will it take? how does AF perform" what ISO does it provide for, etc etc.
Looks? think about it, if one says it is ugly, they are entitled to think so, but ugly only means you are worried of what others might think when you are out and about using it.

IMHO, stuff other people, if it performs up to or better than what I expect for the money, and produces expected, or better, results all is fine by me.