Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the harrier jump jet is ugly in a cool way, much like the A-10 "Warthog".

First they call me stinky
and now they call me ugly.
Oh well, Hakuna Matata....

02-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Yakim Quote

First they call me stinky
and now they call me ugly.
Oh well, Hakuna Matata....
Hakuna Matata!
02-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
Don't feed the trolls.
Who's the one telling other people what to buy now?

Don't listen to me, then. Listen to Pentax UK's general manager. He couldn't come up with a good reason for you to buy this product. The guy selling you the camera can't even find a reason it's better than their competitor. That should be a pretty good hint you're being sold a bill of goods. You should buy it for the mirrorless features like, um... design. Yeah, that's it, it's all about design.
02-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #34
nah

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote

Don't listen to me, then. Listen to Pentax UK's general manager. He couldn't come up with a good reason for you to buy this product. The guy selling you the camera can't even find a reason it's better than their competitor. That should be a pretty good hint you're being sold a bill of goods. You should buy it for the mirrorless features like, um... design. Yeah, that's it, it's all about design.
You're feeding people wrong information as if it's the truth. You know nothing about the Pentax system and from what I see you're Sony fan boy; that in my books is trolling. It might not be better than the competitor (Nex 7), but it's as good or better than some (Nex 5N).

I'm buying it cause I have a need for the great video options and a bunch of legacy glass that I can use.

I have seriously considered going Nex 7 with the Zeiss 24mm but that would cost me about $2500 factoring in taxes. The primary function of a mirrorless for me is the video and a smallish travel package. While the K-01 is not small as the Nex 7, I can't justify the $1500 price difference in the 2 different systems.

02-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #35
Banned

in fact it is all about design. thats EXACTLY what its all about. that will be this cameras downfall as a consumer product because too many people will be unable to differentiate a camera designed and engineered as a camera and a designer who designed a camera. if you approach it from the viewpoint of a camera buying consumer you likely just won't get it, wether you think its ugly or not. there is no good reason to buy this camera, from a the viewpoint of a camera user (other than the very cheap K-5 sensor behind a Kmount of course) but thats not the reason this camera exists. thats not what Marc Newson created.

im not really defending the camera in any way, but I think before anyone opens up to voice their 'opinion', they need to take some time to get to know the designer and get an understanding of where this camera comes from, because it doesn't come from Pentax. this was an excersize in design and brand awareness more than it was in camera engineering. I'm sure its an excellent camera in its own right so we shouldn't discount it in that regard, but we need to be approaching it from the right viewpoint and we need to educate ourselves on the philosophy behind it before we go offering our ignorant opinions. I think thats the least we can do to be respectful to Pentax if nothing else.

I find it hilarious really that we are already arguing over what the K-01 should have been, and why did they do this or leave that out, etc. nobody has yet stopped to realize that what we have here is not what Pentax came up with and said, 'here is our serious entry into the MILC segment.' what we have is something wholly designed by an outside designer. what good does it do to judge and dissect a camera based on design and engineering philosophies of a camera company, and the wants and desires of the average consumer when you are working with a piece of equipment designed to appeal to neither? 99% of you don't get it and you are too hung up on your own ignorances to ever get it. thats fine really in the big picture, but you all look a bit silly. 'what the K-01 should be/should have been.' thats akin to asking why a Picasso doesn't look like a Michelangelo. you can't expect them to. and you can't expect this camera to adhere to the standard design and engineering philosophies that are used to create the average consumer camera.

Last edited by séamuis; 02-02-2012 at 04:35 PM.
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
You're feeding people wrong information as if it's the truth. You know nothing about the Pentax system and from what I see you're Sony fan boy; that in my books is trolling. It might not be better than the competitor (Nex 7), but it's as good or better than some (Nex 5N).

I'm buying it cause I have a need for the great video options and a bunch of legacy glass that I can use.

I have seriously considered going Nex 7 with the Zeiss 24mm but that would cost me about $2500 factoring in taxes. The primary function of a mirrorless for me is the video and a smallish travel package. While the K-01 is not small as the Nex 7, I can't justify the $1500 price difference in the 2 different systems.
I'm actually an incredible fanboy of Pentax's really old lenses... the -K and -M stuff and the Takumars are 75% of what I shoot, and manual focus Nikkors are another 24%. And I own a Canon DSLR, not a NEX (because I want to use them on a full frame camera someday). I just see everyone going nuts over this and I really don't get what it offers over the competition.

And it's not fair to compare a $1000 zeiss lens against what is more or less a 50mm lens. If you put a 50mm on the NEX the price goes way down there too...
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The K-01 is a VERY ugly camera, and in my opinion, could be something of a deterrent for people looking at the K-mount DSLR system as a whole. I'd love to know why Pentax hired that Marc Newson joker (no doubt at great expense) when they could have been setting to work on that much wanted full frame DSLR, which would actually BOOST Pentax's DSLR credibility, rather than detracting from it.

02-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #38
Inactive Account

I must confess that I find this very cute. It's just a pity that I can't afford a 900$ toy which its main appeal to me is in the way it looks.
02-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Hey, feel free to buy it, I'm just a jerk on the internet who's here to point out that for the same money you could get a similar camera that's equal in pretty much every way and has a much larger potential library of the legacy lenses that Pentax was claiming are the big reason to buy this. By making the register distance super long, Pentax barred you from using those lenses. And it can't AF non-SDM lenses, which cuts the Pentax library even more.
Yah might want to look at the photo of the cam without the lens. Sure looks like a Pentax Screw Drive to me.
02-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #40
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Meh, not a fan of the styling. Of course this is not a camera directed at the likes of me since I like to take pictures, not video too much. If I want video that's what my 2 different video cameras are for. Still, if it gets more people shooting Pentax than I'm all for it!
02-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #41
Veteran Member

It's ugly as hell.
02-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Its a camera not a fashion accesory.
Look at it as a tool that can get the job done.
02-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #43

I always find it hard too get the job done with people laughing at me but hey, at least you don't have to worry about anyone stealing it right!! Thats a good thing!
02-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #44

How a camera looks is pretty important IMO ... humans are just wired like that with the goods they buy.
02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
To me, the only criteria that matters are the specifications. What lenses will it take? how does AF perform" what ISO does it provide for, etc etc.
Looks? think about it, if one says it is ugly, they are entitled to think so, but ugly only means you are worried of what others might think when you are out and about using it.

IMHO, stuff other people, if it performs up to or better than what I expect for the money, and produces expected, or better, results all is fine by me.
Absolutely. The biggest leg up on Sony NEX this camera has is that it can autofocus all of the K mount lenses that can auto focus (without an adapter). Sure, it can't do anything with older lenses with shorter registration distances, but in general, most people who are looking at this type of camera are really interested in auto focus and that is there without problem.

Who really cares about appearance anyway? To me the kx/kr bodies were just blah, but they sure performed, didn't they?