Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,932
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I use my FA50/1.4 on my NEX with adapter and it is no longer than the kit lens. That lens on my K-7 is 3x the size and weight overall.

Jason
Of course, but put that lens on the K-01 and it will be a lot closer in size to the FA 50 on the NEX, won't require an adapter, should balance well and... ta-dah! It will actually autofocus (I hate the manual focus ring on the FA 50, can't imagine trying to manual focus with it all the time).

02-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
Original Poster
NEX-5N vs K-01 with 18-55mm kit lens




The K-01 looks much better IMHO.

NEX-5N with costly lens adapter for use with Sony A mount lenses:

Last edited by jogiba; 02-04-2012 at 07:55 AM.
02-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Of course, but put that lens on the K-01 and it will be a lot closer in size to the FA 50 on the NEX, won't require an adapter, should balance well and... ta-dah! It will actually autofocus (I hate the manual focus ring on the FA 50, can't imagine trying to manual focus with it all the time).
Of course it will AF on the K-01, but in no way is the FA50 on the K-01 almost the same size as NEX with that lens and a 1 inch adapter. The body on the K-01 alone is huge compared to the NEX, not to mention the protruding part of the body needed for the flange distance with K mount lenses. Take a look at the camerasize.com and slide the NEX in front of the K-01 and then select top view for both cameras.

Pentax K-01 is 9% (10.2 mm) wider and 34% (20.2 mm) taller than Sony NEX-5N.
Pentax K-01 is 54% (20.8 mm) thicker than Sony NEX-5N.
Pentax K-01 [560 g] weights 108% (291 grams) more than Sony NEX-5N [269 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Either way, I am sure both cameras are fine, but bashing the NEX makes no sense. It really is a remarkable little camera body which I am sure most of the naysayers would be jumping on if it had the brand "Pentax" written on it.

Jason
02-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote


The K-01 looks much better IMHO.

NEX-5N with costly lens adapter for use with Sony A mount lenses:
Beauty (or ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder. If you're into cameras strictly because of the looks, well...what does one say about that?

Jason

02-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Beauty (or ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder. If you're into cameras strictly because of the looks, well...what does one say about that?

Jason
Right, I am only interested in style and don't care that the K-01 has the best HD video specs of any Pentax camera so far and does not need a huge $400 adapter with no SR to use with any of the 25 million K mount lenses out there. And the K-01 SR with them is an added bonus.

http://www.adorama.com/ISOLAEA2.html?utm_term=5cf4c4d22a2848db8d5bd2d4f79832...rce=adl-google


Last edited by jogiba; 02-04-2012 at 08:51 AM.
02-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I use my FA50/1.4 on my NEX with adapter and it is no longer than the kit lens. That lens on my K-7 is 3x the size and weight overall.

Jason
50 is the sweet spot for 1.4. I would use my FA50 on a NEX body without concern as well. Go wider or longer though and they get to be really large lenses. No need to defend the NEX from me, I am a fan.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top