Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Creampuff, does the K-01's lcd show change in focus pretty much immediately? I hate the delay the K-5 LV has when I change focus. When I notice something's in perfect focus I'd already moved past that point, and then have to go back and move back and forth slowly. My experience it trying it out made me realize I can miss lots of moments, so I never tried again. Wonder if this is quicker.
To me, manual focusing with the K-01 is a little quicker when compared with focusing manually using the K-5's LV.

02-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Lest there be further mus-understandings, that too was part of the point of this thread, but coming at it from a different angle; wanting / expecting it to be as versatile as either of my K-somthing D-SLRs and realizing how it can't be.
Every camera is a compromise, and there's a subtle but significant difference between saying that a camera doesn't fit your needs and saying that it's a failure or useless because it doesn't fit your needs while also suggesting that your needs are an accurate proxy of the overall market. I'm not speaking to you specifically about this point; rather there's a vocal group here that are drawing their conclusions about the camera already.

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Why do you say that ? You can hold the K-01 on your left hand palm, with the upper left arm / elbow tightly resting on your chest, and holding controls / stabilizing with the right hand, hence creating a very stable hold and I don't see how this would look ridiculous. This larger size of the EX-01 will make a stable hold much easier than with thinner smaller bodies.
The poster you are responding to has already declared the K-01 useless by looking at the specs and photos of the camera. So I'm not surprised. Funny thing is, I just took a photo with my K-5 in Live View and the much larger DA* 16-50 F2.8 mounted and it was far from useless. Neither the camera, lens, nor myself exploded.

As you suggested, I created a stable platform with my elbows braced against my body. Truth told, the K-5 plus the DA* 16-50 is a hefty combo for this type of shooting and I wouldn't want to be doing this all day with the K-01.But the kit zoom 18-55 is much lighter and the K-01 is marginally lighter than the K-5, so I can imagine using the K-01 with a kit zoom all day.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Seriously, calling it a turd when you haven't even used the camera just belies your ignorance. It is easy to focus manually with the K-01, speaking as someone who has used it. I suggest you actually get your hands on one before coming up with snap judgements.
Agreed 1000% I suspect that the K-01 will be brilliant with my DA Limited primes as well as my older M28, M50, and Super Tak 50/1.4. But the proof is in the pudding, and I'll have to see when it gets here. The reports from your Singapore group are encouraging though!
02-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #63
Pentaxian

enjoyyourcamera.com - Thanks for your input

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

... btw, my favorite shop for little things
Oui, this site seems quite good, but I haven't ordered from it yet despite my rather long wish list ...

Thanks for your positive and reassuring recommendation.

Salut, J Frog
02-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Bring them down to Texas and I will call them the same thing you will on the 4th of July....worthless. That's what Mrs Rupert called her Panny just before it went in the river, and she never has uttered one word of regret. You can spin it, twist it, deny it, or ignore it, but a viewfinder is a wonderful thing in the bright sun. You just can't get around it.

Best Regards!
Jim, I gotta disagree. I use my Pen in Houston sun (and everyone knows the sun is hotter and brighter in Houston) without a problem. All you're doing is framing the shot. I'm not counting the whiskers on a squirrel. I've intentionally gone out in the brightest sun I could find, and even with the sun shining directly on the LCD, I can see it good enough to shoot with. Most of the time, the LCD is perpendicular to the sun, so the sun's even less of a problem.

I keep hearing all these negatives to no viewfinder, but my experience has shown them not to bother me. I will say that shooting longer zooms (even the light weight MFT zooms) is harder without the viewfinder, but when I buy the K-01, I won't be using it for that. I'll put my DA Limiteds on it, and use my K5 for longer/larger lenses. I love the fact that I can swap lenses and accessories and keep full functionality.

02-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by visual zen Quote
All my lenses are manual focus. My question is unless the K-01 has focus tweaking. How in the world can I expect to get sharp photos with any older lens? I've been researching and trying to find out.
Seems to me "so what if it's a K mount" if you can't focus due to no real way to see what you have going..............well somebody dropped the ball when they came up with this turd.
I put manual K-mount lenses on my Pen, and with the magnified viewfinder, focusing is much easier to me than through a viewfinder. I rarely use MF lenses on my dSLRs because I can't get the focus exact. Liveview (especially magnified) it the best way I've found. I expect the K-01 to be the same.
02-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #66
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Jim, I gotta disagree. I use my Pen in Houston sun (and everyone knows the sun is hotter and brighter in Houston) without a problem. All you're doing is framing the shot. I'm not counting the whiskers on a squirrel. I've intentionally gone out in the brightest sun I could find, and even with the sun shining directly on the LCD, I can see it good enough to shoot with. Most of the time, the LCD is perpendicular to the sun, so the sun's even less of a problem.

I keep hearing all these negatives to no viewfinder, but my experience has shown them not to bother me. I will say that shooting longer zooms (even the light weight MFT zooms) is harder without the viewfinder, but when I buy the K-01, I won't be using it for that. I'll put my DA Limiteds on it, and use my K5 for longer/larger lenses. I love the fact that I can swap lenses and accessories and keep full functionality.
I had the same experience in Yemen. I had no problem shooting with the viewfinder only in the sun, and let me tell you, it was intense. Also agree about the long lenses thing, if you want to shoot with longer lenses hand held, this probably isn't the camera for you. Having it on a tripod might be quite a bit better though. I'm also willing to admit that macro shots would be much easier with a movable screen. Still, for the types of pictures I take, and a lot of others, it will be great!
02-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Actually, I have several long lenses, and with the LBA problems I have will probably end up with more---most particularly the 560.

And actually the attraction is that it strikes me as particularly suitable for use with long lenses. Real long lenses need mounted on a tripod and the optical view finder
is just a way for tramp light to disorganize the exposure meter if you don't cover it, and the flopping mirror is one more thing to cause vibration in the picture if you don't lock it up. I'm seriously thinking of buying one profoundly for use WITH long lenses.

02-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I put manual K-mount lenses on my Pen, and with the magnified viewfinder, focusing is much easier to me than through a viewfinder. I rarely use MF lenses on my dSLRs because I can't get the focus exact. Liveview (especially magnified) it the best way I've found. I expect the K-01 to be the same.
I say let Robin say we are all messed up. He's probably right. But . . .

I know what I know, and I know what I don't know, and the things I don't know I don't know aren't likely to spoil my fun using the K-01.

And I'm convinced it has enough area on the base and mass to hand hold MF lenses.
02-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ièm busy convincing me that the K-01 and a couple of Zacuto bits will make this a MF dream.