Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #46
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
... This is not the camera that you are looking for.
... lol ... I hate wearing those storm-trooper uniforms ; especially in a desert environment. Too much chafing.

02-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 looks like a good upgrade from my K110D, especially since I enjoy landscape photography with wide angle, normal, and short telephoto lenses. When shooting action wildlife photos with a long lens, perhaps a camera shoulder stock would help to compensate for the camera's lack of a viewfinder. Can anyone share their experience in shooting using a shoulder stock with a long lens with a mirror-less camera without a viewfinder?

Last edited by rruntsch; 02-12-2012 at 05:05 PM.
02-12-2012, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #48
Banned

The yellow K-01 I have on pre-order will shoot much better HD video than my K-7 and also look better with my yellow tripod.

02-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #49
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The yellow K-01 I have on pre-order will shoot much better HD video than my K-7 and also look better with my yellow tripod.
Lemme know how it works when you drop use of the tripod. (as awesome as the whole setup is)

I enjoy your involvement, but I can't for the life of me understand why you must continue to ignore the point of this thread and go on and on about tripod usage given I thought I made a very cogent argument for instances when a tripod or even monopod may only not be preferred, but not even possible...

Last edited by m8o; 02-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.
02-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
... lol ... I hate wearing those storm-trooper uniforms ; especially in a desert environment. Too much chafing.
I've shot the Panasonic image-stabilized 100-300 (200-600 FF EQ) while trying to look at the rear LCD of an M43 camera. It's not easy. I don't expect the K-01 to be any better, but I don't think it's fair to criticize it. I think your expectations of this camera are not in line with Pentax's expectations of the camera, nor can you assume that your expectations of the camera aligns with everyone else's.

Just get the camera that fits your needs and leave the others on the shelf. Life's too short.
02-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #51
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by marosari00 Quote
Wow, I have that lens and I have that camera on pre-order I use a monopod for a lot of my work with the two long lenses I have (DA*300mm and Sigma 70-200mm) and the Sigma 120-300mm on my wishlist.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
In consideration, most of us are seeing it (and it's features and limitations support this) as a video camera.
This is also why I want this K-01 now.
02-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Lemme know how it works when you drop use of the tripod. (as awesome as the whole setup is)

I enjoy your involvement, but I can't for the life of me understand why you must continue to ignore the point of this thread and go on and on about tripod usage given I thought I made a very cogent argument for instances when a tripod or even monopod may only not be preferred, but not even possible...
I don't think anyone is going to handhold a 24lb lens but I don't have a problem shooting handheld videos with a 300mm (450mm eqiv) and my K-7.

02-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #53
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I've shot the Panasonic image-stabilized 100-300 (200-600 FF EQ) while trying to look at the rear LCD of an M43 camera. It's not easy. I don't expect the K-01 to be any better, but I don't think it's fair to criticize it. I think your expectations of this camera are not in line with Pentax's expectations of the camera, nor can you assume that your expectations of the camera aligns with everyone else's.

Just get the camera that fits your needs and leave the others on the shelf. Life's too short.
Lest there be further mus-understandings, that too was part of the point of this thread, but coming at it from a different angle; wanting / expecting it to be as versatile as either of my K-somthing D-SLRs and realizing how it can't be.
02-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #54

Question of focus with a manual lens on the K-01

All my lenses are manual focus. My question is unless the K-01 has focus tweaking. How in the world can I expect to get sharp photos with any older lens? I've been researching and trying to find out.
Seems to me "so what if it's a K mount" if you can't focus due to no real way to see what you have going..............well somebody dropped the ball when they came up with this turd.
02-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by visual zen Quote
All my lenses are manual focus. My question is unless the K-01 has focus tweaking. How in the world can I expect to get sharp photos with any older lens? I've been researching and trying to find out.
Seems to me "so what if it's a K mount" if you can't focus due to no real way to see what you have going..............well somebody dropped the ball when they came up with this turd.
Seriously, calling it a turd when you haven't even used the camera just belies your ignorance. It is easy to focus manually with the K-01, speaking as someone who has used it. I suggest you actually get your hands on one before coming up with snap judgements.
02-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #56

Isn't it called focus peaking, not "tweaking"? Either way, I am given to understand that the K-01 will have focus peaking. I noticed you mentioned Zeiss lenses elsewhere; I too have some Zeiss M42 glass, currently in use on my old K-mount Ricoh film SLR, that I very much look forward to using with this camera. I may also adapt my Pentacon Six medium format Zeiss Jena lenses for digital use at some point although that's a bit lower on the priority scale.
02-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Creampuff has it right, you are spouting ignorance.

Focus peaking in live view will make this the easiest digital camera to focus manual lenses Pentax have yet made.
02-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #58
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
It is easy to focus manually with the K-01, speaking as someone who has used it.
Creampuff, does the K-01's lcd show change in focus pretty much immediately? I hate the delay the K-5 LV has when I change focus. When I notice something's in perfect focus I'd already moved past that point, and then have to go back and move back and forth slowly. My experience it trying it out made me realize I can miss lots of moments, so I never tried again. Wonder if this is quicker.
02-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Holding the K-01 with the kit 18-55mm without a VF will be enough to make one look pretty stupid in the street.
Why do you say that ? You can hold the K-01 on your left hand palm, with the upper left arm / elbow tightly resting on your chest, and holding controls / stabilizing with the right hand, hence creating a very stable hold and I don't see how this would look ridiculous. This larger size of the EX-01 will make a stable hold much easier than with thinner smaller bodies.
02-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #60

Personnally i prefer to use a tripod for long lenses even if it's just for a couple of shots because the resulting photos wil always be sharper, especially when the light is low and your shutter speed is not too fast.

I did use my NEX-3 with my Pentax-67 M*400mm/4 (on a tripod as usual) with good results but the camera is too small to use comfortably, the K-01 will certainly be better for that.