Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Sorry about that, I missed the part of your previous post where you pointed that out. I will admit, it doesn't seem like it should be that hard for Pentax to figure out what they're selling
Quite true. You'd think those in charge of their website might have known and planned, but instead it looks rushed and not thought out, unlike the UK site.

02-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Quite true. You'd think those in charge of their website might have known and planned, but instead it looks rushed and not thought out, unlike the UK site.
Very like the pair of Pentax interviews a couple of weeks ago when IMHO the Pentax USA rep looked like a fool and the Pentax UK rep was very reassuring and seemed fairly informed. I see a pattern here.........
02-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, Pentax JP isn't exactly leading the way here - no word on the K-01 at all:
PENTAX

Pentax AU is also hopeless - not a single mention of the K-01 anywhere:
Pentax Australia

Pentax DE and FR at least have a picture and the same details, using what looks like the same page template that Pentax UK has:
PENTAX - Digitalkameras, Spiegelreflexkameras, DSLR, SLR, Objektive, Ferngläser, Spektive und Endoskope - PENTAX Photo
PENTAX Home - PENTAX Photo

Pentax China have a K-01 news item page, but no product page:
PENTAX??

I am guessing some of these countries with barely anything on their sites about the K-01 may have their own launch schedules and events planned.
02-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Is on the first page of Pentax Canada English and French
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. | Welcome
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. | Bienvenue
sorry if it's not in Pentax USA front Page As I mention , they need to clean the house of Pentax Imaging USA, they are Prima Donna who are happy B&H and Adorama do their job

02-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sounds like a right clusterfock. Who's running this operation?
02-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Another example of a statement, which I saw in print at SPI, from Marc Newsom. Now he seems a nice enough fellow in the interviews I have watched of him but this statement???

"Newson added: 'I wanted to return to the high quality roots of the brand and create something which was really unique and iconic.'

Maybe I'm over-reading it but it sort of implies that the modern cameras are not high quality......
02-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax USA could certainly use a charismatic spokesman, but that's pretty much true of all companies. Of course the key to Apple's success was the fact Steve Jobs was an accomplished industrial designer himself. Everything had to be "insanely great."
02-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
I went to a couple of Pentax Co. sites figuring they would have the K-01 front and center but I was wrong. There's not a whiff of the K-01 on the sites. Zero marketing stuff. When Apple has a new product coming out, the co. web site is showing off the newest product at the same time the public is getting the pictures and specs in the news. Even when a product is in the pre-order stage Apple has it on their home page ...
You mean something like http://www.pentax.de/de/foto.php ?

(Same in France and UK, as all Pentax Europe websites are coordinated)

Last edited by falconeye; 02-03-2012 at 07:46 PM.
02-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great site. You have to believe the U.S. folks had the same opportunity since all the European sites are using the same photos and web page layout.
02-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Simple solution for Pentax US? Make our Pentax Forums their home page. Then at least the news will get out.
02-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Hoya decimated Pentax. Ricoh hasn't had time to rebuild it all yet. Be patient. There is a plan and you will be happy.

P.S. If I were John Carlson or Ned Bunnell I might be looking over my shoulder.
02-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter

In keeping with the Apple theme, have you ever seen a new Apple product that wasn't everywhere?
I have no doubt that having Ricoh as the big brother so to speak is going to bring great things for us. I just would have expected more "hype" for the K-01.
A mediocre product with great marketing will always blow away a great product with mediocre marketing. And how much marketing have we seen in the past years?

On a better note, I for one am very happy with what has been coming out the past few days.
02-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Unlike the US site the UK site has a beautiful picture of their new release front and center on the main page and you can click on it.
The person who took that image of the K-01 knows what they are doing. The camera really looks good even with the ugly 40XS. The main reason being, AFAIC, that the ineffably annoying snorkel is pretty much hidden. Too bad that Marc Newson couldn't think of something elegant to make the camera design unique. The K-01 isn't really that far off from a great design, but as it is, I personally feel that is quite a fail.

Regarding the UK site: That's how it's done. Shame on Pentax US. I checked their home page on the release day, expecting some nice presentation. Nothing.

Not even Ned Bunnell has a single post on his blog. Not one. Unbelievable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Maybe I'm over-reading it but it sort of implies that the modern cameras are not high quality......
I think you are over-reading it. I think he just expressed that he wanted to express "high-quality" through the design of the camera. I do not believe for one second that he wanted to imply anything about the technology or design of previous Pentax cameras.

In a way (where he follows the clean, "Braun" design style) he succeeded with his goal. But then epically fails overall by trying to put too much of a designer mark on it (AFAIC).
02-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Simple solution for Pentax US? Make our Pentax Forums their home page. Then at least the news will get out.
Excellent. And I would add that they would then have some knowledgeable answers to questions posed about their gear too!
02-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hoya decimated Pentax. Ricoh hasn't had time to rebuild it all yet. Be patient. There is a plan and you will be happy.

P.S. If I were John Carlson or Ned Bunnell I might be looking over my shoulder.
Ricoh has done it in the past - take a sputtering firm, buy it, and then take it out and beat the market leader at their own game. It took several years and all new personnel but they did it. Oh happy thoughts!