Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, it isn't the hardware that is challenging - its the native apps. Can't link these without subscribing to iCloud, a comparatively new consolidator.
  • Calendar
  • Contacts
  • Email
  • Maps
Cannot integrate the three apps into a contact management system
  • Link a Contact to a Calendar entry?
    • No - have to type the Name in
    • Can't Find an appointment by Contact name
  • Make an email distribution list from Contacts?
    • No - have to add each Contact every time
  • Schedule a set group of Contacts for an Event?
    • Not at all
  • Link a Group of contacts
    • Not at all
  • Map a set Group of Contacts
    • Not at all
Now some would say that misses the point. The iPhone should not be thought of as self-contained. You must use it as an iCloud node. And I can't do that because the Cloud isn't secure enough for the needs of my business.

So to use iPhone4s and iPad2 I would force to structure my entire business the way Apple thinks is the best way for me to do that, and I can't use their tool my own way because it is closed architecture.

The iPhone is a wonderful product for its intended use, but its intended use has limits that don't meet my needs.

Sort of like the K-01.

I'm with you on this one. I like my iPad at home for consumption of materials but can not use them, or the iPhones, for work because of serious restrictions in how they Apple forces you to use them and their failure to meet the security and other standards that I MUST meet.

02-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apple - iPhone in Business - Integration

QuoteQuote:
Integrate, secure and deploy iPhone into your company. iPhone connects seamlessly to Microsoft Exchange and standards-based servers for access to corporate email, calendar, and contacts. Data is protected with hardware encryption and enhanced Data Protection. Users can securely access corporate networks with support for leading VPN and Wi-Fi protocols including SSL VPN. And it's easy to scale your iPhone deployment with Mobile Device Management and Wireless App Distribution for in-house apps.
[/threadhijack]
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Applespeak. Not secure enough.

Data transfers to those apps on a PC but cannot be linked real-time on the device without iCloud. The data's there and it updates on Sync but it doesn't become useful information.

Blackberry, OTOH, has a data-secure transfer protocol, links and sync on the device, etc., etc., but leaves control of the data with the user.

I'm not slamming the iPhone, I have one for personal use. This isn't my choice (my company data security made the choice), but I also carry the BB for work.

I mean to illustrate that each device has a purpose, and a limit to its utility in how it is applied for certain user.

Whever the angry/disappointed/skeptical/critical posters on this Forum either
1) accept that the K-01 is not for them, and is therefore not worthy of such scorn, or
2) are fed the high-end MILC they want (or a FF body to grab attention for a while

this controversy will end.
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Applespeak. Not secure enough.

Data transfers to those apps on a PC but cannot be linked real-time on the device without iCloud. The data's there and it updates on Sync but it doesn't become useful information.

Blackberry, OTOH, has a data-secure transfer protocol, links and sync on the device, etc., etc., but leaves control of the data with the user.
It just requires some setup by the IT department. iCloud doesn't have to come into it at any point. But if IT is wedded to BB then it isn't going to happen.

http://images.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iOS_EAS.pdf

More and more companies are making the switch.

RIM’s enterprise problem: Halliburton latest to switch to iPhone - The Globe and Mail

02-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It just requires some setup by the IT department. iCloud doesn't have to come into it at any point. But if IT is wedded to BB then it isn't going to happen.

http://images.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iOS_EAS.pdf

More and more companies are making the switch.

RIM’s enterprise problem: Halliburton latest to switch to iPhone - The Globe and Mail
Yep. 75,000 employees worldwide. IT working extensively with Apple trying to get away from BB but the Cloud is the problem. Right now I can purchase a secure app to add to my iPhone that addresses our own servers for the data. The iPhone is a wonderful device for what it does well. Yet the native apps on the iPhone still can't perform what I consider an elementary function on the device. IT is writing an app to perform that function but Apple must accept the app before we can distribute it.

What kind of hubris is that?

This all supports my main point that the iPhone just isn't designed for every user model. Most of us change the way we do things to fit into the user model Apple designed for us (and we have to give them a credit card for the privilege) - and we do it seanmlessly and willingly (and in many cases unconsiously).

I can't and won't.

The K-01 is similar, in that the device itself forces a VF-dependent user to change. For some users the LCD is native intelligence. Others will transition seamlessly. A few will actively learn a new technique (I'm in that camp - a VF is a hindrance to me as I age). Many will find reason not to use the device - but they're howling on the way out the product door.

Accepting this circumstance and moving on is critical to these Forum discussions. That process, I believe, started with the lens releases last night.
02-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How can the K-01 "force" you to do anything? If you want a VF buy a camera with a VF!
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
How can the K-01 "force" you to do anything? If you want a VF buy a camera with a VF!
Actually, it can't. Any more than the iPhone can force me to use it for business (I can use none or a Blackberry or something that runs maybe Android).

It does force me to make a choice though, which I sense is not something many posters here want to do.

02-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does force me to make a choice though, which I sense is not something many posters here want to do.
Read what you wrote.

No one in a free market is forcing you to make a choice. The concept is contradictory.

No one is forcing you or anyone to purchase a camera.
02-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #54
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Yep. 75,000 employees worldwide.
Your a digit short, there are also 750,000 people making Apple products.

QuoteQuote:
In this interview taped November 24, 2011, Meyerson discusses Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs. Meyerson observes that in this enormous, richly detailed biography, the 750,000 Chinese workers who assemble Apple's products are virtually invisible.
02-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
In this interview taped November 24, 2011, Meyerson discusses Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs. Meyerson observes that in this enormous, richly detailed biography, the 750,000 Chinese workers who assemble Apple's products are virtually invisible.
So are most of those who make anything? I have no clue who made my dishwasher or the soap that goes in it, or the cutlery or the ceramic dishware I eat off of.
02-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

US NOAA ditches BlackBerry, chooses Apple's iPhone and iPad