Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lessons from Apple

I went to a couple of Pentax Co. sites figuring they would have the K-01 front and center but I was wrong. There's not a whiff of the K-01 on the sites. Zero marketing stuff. When Apple has a new product coming out, the co. web site is showing off the newest product at the same time the public is getting the pictures and specs in the news. Even when a product is in the pre-order stage Apple has it on their home page telling the consumer how to pre-order and where to buy after the release date. Maybe this is why Apple is rocking and rolling and others aren't. It seems like people are going to be very curious right now and this is a missed marketing opportunity.

02-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Banned

Pentax USA

PENTAX - K-01 Yellow
02-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
I went to a couple of Pentax Co. sites figuring they would have the K-01 front and center but I was wrong. There's not a whiff of the K-01 on the sites. Zero marketing stuff. When Apple has a new product coming out, the co. web site is showing off the newest product at the same time the public is getting the pictures and specs in the news. Even when a product is in the pre-order stage Apple has it on their home page telling the consumer how to pre-order and where to buy after the release date. Maybe this is why Apple is rocking and rolling and others aren't. It seems like people are going to be very curious right now and this is a missed marketing opportunity.
While I don't think Apple's success is so simple, despite the link above, you are absolutely right. Well, at least if the fail to get information up soon. Currently it's a bit cumbersome.

Currently, the main page shows nothing: Digital Cameras by PENTAX - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR
The Pentax Webstore shows nothing: PentaxWebstore.com:Official Pentax Online Store | PentaxWebstore.com

But they do have the camera listed under DSLRS, which it isn't: PentaxWebstore.com: Digital SLR

However, if you click the link to the product, it is listed under the category "Hybrid": PentaxWebstore.com: K-01 Body Kit Black

So, it's not on the front page, which would have been nice with the release of info, and it's a bit confused as to where to find it listed when you go hunting for it.
02-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Your very link helps prove the poor marketing point in my opinion. The K-01 is listed on a subpage that you have to click through the following to find:
  • Main Page
  • Products
  • Hybrid Cameras
What the F is a "hybrid camera"? No one other than those already in the know are going to find it there unless they Google it and just click the link.

Here's another marketing faux pas - the Buy Now link lets you pay and the page tells you:
"Out of stock items usually ship within 10 business days."

Amazon makes it clear that it is a pre-order:
"This item has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives."

Seriously.

02-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Banned

Pentax UK has the best K-01 page

K-01 - Digital Mirrorless - PENTAX Photo
02-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just checked the pentaxwebstore and it seems the K-01 is grouped under "DSLR Cameras" and only the Q is listed under "Hybrid Cameras". Go figure.
02-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
I agree with you in this regard. Where many might see it as a small facet in overall marketing, to me the small things add up. In the past, Pentax as a company was never really good at marketing. I don't know if they just didn't have the budget for it or simply not the right team, but it doesn't look like Ricoh has helped much in this regard. Then again, if you ask most people on the street if they've ever heard of Ricoh, you'd probably get the same response if you had asked about Pentax.

So yes, marketing still needs a boost.
02-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I just checked the pentaxwebstore and it seems the K-01 is grouped under "DSLR Cameras" and only the Q is listed under "Hybrid Cameras". Go figure.

However as I stated above, it's more confused than that.

Look at the direct link: PentaxWebstore.com: K-01 Body Kit Black

And notice that just above the camera it says "Homepage Hybrid Cameras K-01 Body Kit Black". But you click the link to Hybrid Cameras and you go directly to the Q.

Pentax doesn't even know where to put it.

02-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Much better page than the US Pentax site, again the Brits do it better IMHO. However, the path to that page is:
Home > Products > Digital Mirrorless > K-01
02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's interesting that Pentax UK has it on their front page.

Home - PENTAX Photo
02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote

Strange because I followed the link from Pentaximaging.com from the Hybrid Camera section directly to the pentaxwebstores Buy It page for the K-01. Guess Pentax USA isn't sure whether its fish or fowl because when I checked the Hybrid Camera page at Pentaxwebstores there was only an on sale Q listed (-$50).
02-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
It's interesting that Pentax UK has it on their front page.

Home - PENTAX Photo
And they used a MUCH better photograph to feature it too.
02-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Much better page than the US Pentax site, again the Brits do it better IMHO. However, the path to that page is:
Home > Products > Digital Mirrorless > K-01
Should it be something else? It seems appropriate for a mirrorless camera and more specific than "Hybrid".

edited to add - and I completely agree the UK site presents it better.
02-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Should it be something else? It seems appropriate for a mirrorless camera and more specific than "Hybrid".
Agreed. Unlike the US site the UK site has a beautiful picture of their new release front and center on the main page and you can click on it. That makes it make all the sense in the world. However, the initial post had it listed as a string of subpages that appeared to be nearly, nearly but not quite, as mindless as the US site. My apologies to PentaxUK.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
02-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

However as I stated above, it's more confused than that.
Sorry about that, I missed the part of your previous post where you pointed that out. I will admit, it doesn't seem like it should be that hard for Pentax to figure out what they're selling