Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by indeo Quote
this will come. saw an interview with designer on youtube and he said several colors are already in the pipeline

Pentax K-01.flv - YouTube
That was an interesting video, thanks. If he has his hands in the future colors, it seems kind of unlikely all black would be one of them...

It looks like Pentax was restricting him in a few positive ways at least. The big one being the use of the same battery as the K-7 and K-5. Smart move Pentax.

I wonder if he was the driving force in not having an EVF? That video makes it seem like he pushed to not have some features.

However, I will give him a pat on the back for forcing the use of all aluminum, even for the buttons.

02-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In another interview he says the EVF was not in the brief. Pentax specified no EVF.
02-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #33

Maybe this is the Japan version.
02-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I would petition Pentax for an invisible K-01.

02-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #35
Inactive Account

i like the camera, but i think it is a difficult sale. sony`s, samsung`s, and nikon`s are much better known brand names and are smaller and lighter so i think people, especially women will go for those. the people i see buying the K-01 is girlfrinds/boyfrinds of pentax owner that has some lenses and want a camera for themself. people that have no idea what EVF, Aperture and Prime lenses are, and dont whant to know what it is.
02-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

this will come. saw an interview with designer on youtube and he said several colors are already in the pipeline

Pentax K-01.flv - YouTube
Interesting. Esp. the statement that he joined the project a year ago. At that time, we had the rumour of an imminent K mount mirrorless NC-1 launch. I wonder what happened and made Pentax involve an external designer and delay the project by another year. Must be an interesting story ...
02-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #37
Administrator
Site Webmaster

How hard would it be to take all the black top components from the silver version and stick them on the black version? Then you'd have an all black camera! I might just try it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How hard would it be to take all the black top components from the silver version and stick them on the black version? Then you'd have an all black camera! I might just try it!
I wondered myself already. Esp. as the remaining parts would yield a better Silver version, more along the lines of the beautiful K-5 Silver Ltd. I.e., this is something a dealer can do: modify two K-01. Or I could do it and sell via the forum. I am just not sure how hard it is to unscrew the top plate.
02-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #39
Banned

i like the camera, but i think it is a difficult sale. sony`s, samsung`s, and nikon`s are much better known brand names and are smaller and lighter so i think people, especially women will go for those. the people i see buying the K-01 is girlfrinds/boyfrinds of pentax owner that has some lenses and want a camera for themself. people that have no idea what EVF, Aperture and Prime lenses are, and dont whant to know what it is.
Right, go get a Sony NEX with $400 A mount adapter so you could have a small fraction of what is available in K-mount but without SR.

I guess if you want to shoot HD video with K-mount lenses you could get the K-5 and get on your knees and beg Pentax to upgrade the firmware to give it the video feature set that is in the lower cost K-01.
02-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Right, go get a Sony NEX with $400 A mount adapter so you could have a small fraction of what is available in K-mount but without SR.
That camera with the adapter looks exceedingly awkward to use.
02-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess if you want to shoot HD video with K-mount lenses you could get the K-5 and get on your knees and beg Pentax to upgrade the firmware to give it the video feature set that is in the lower cost K-01.

After seeing this contraption by Sony...I'll take the K-01 with an FA 35/f2 or with a Sigma 30mm....anytime!
02-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #42
Inactive Account

i don't really think most user will go for this, some silly people that are easy targets for good sellers.
but my point is that people that would buy this camera will just use it as a point and shoot, with the one lens that they get with the camera, and probably never owned a SLR. they will NOT go for the K-01.
i think it will be existing Pentax owners, or people with Pentax in the family and hipsters that want to stand out in a crowd. unless pentax gets there marketing in gear and really sell this awesome camera
02-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #43
Veteran Member

The Sony contraption uses phase-detection AF.

I played around with a Nikon 1 at Best Buy yesterday. I think they nailed the mirrorless market for this one. It looks good, isn't too big, focuses like a sharp-shooter, and appears easy to use. It's everything people want when upgrading from a P&S.
02-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Nice!

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
This one simple change would've drastically changed the K-01's already controversial design debut. Most of the comments on the internet have negatively dismissed the K-01 as looking like a "toy" despite it's aluminum body, and Pentax can't be happy with it's reception. This all could have been avoided by simply releasing an all-black version. Makes all the difference in the world:
Was thinking the same thing.

Pentax, just switch the knobs around, for ****'s sake. You've got two variations of silver...

Cheers,
Cameron
02-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #45

I don't understand this thread.... There is an all black version available, no?

PENTAX K-01 BLACK W/40MM F2.8 XS LENS 15242