Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 06:28 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Petition pentax for all black k-01

This one simple change would've drastically changed the K-01's already controversial design debut. Most of the comments on the internet have negatively dismissed the K-01 as looking like a "toy" despite it's aluminum body, and Pentax can't be happy with it's reception. This all could have been avoided by simply releasing an all-black version. Makes all the difference in the world:

Attached Images

02-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must agree with you- that looks much better, even though it's not far behind the silver version.

If you buy both the silver and the black version, I wonder how hard it would be to swap out all the components so that one is all silver, and the other all black?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I like the looks of the K-01...yet, the all-black really rocks! Please let's start the campaign for an all-black K-01!!!
02-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

I prefer the all black too

02-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Still not sure why the looks matter so much when its about the performance? That said, your mockup sure looks more like a real camera.
02-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax will have to release at least an all-black Limited Edition, even though it really should've started out with one. guaranteed it would sell 100x what the other models would sell.

the bold design suddenly makes sense this way, looking like some Cold War Russian spy camera from the 50's with modern touches. breaks my heart that Pentax missed such an easy opportunity.

i know the FF petition hasn't gone too far here, but maybe a K-01 color change petition will, after all they already have all the parts..
02-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

All black looks killer!!!

By far better looking than the other combo's.
02-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Still not sure why the looks matter so much when its about the performance? That said, your mockup sure looks more like a real camera.
Unfortunately, cameras, like any material thing these days, are status symbols/fashion statements. They go through fads and trends just like clothes do. Right now the camera fad is retro, and Fuji (and Olympus next week) are going to try and ride it to the bank.

Leica has made a luxury business out of it's "look" (rangefinder technology is really quite outdated, see X-Pro), and at one time even Canon's looked like Leicas..

02-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Banned

I guess if you shoot funerals that is the color to get.
02-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If I were buying one, I'd strongly prefer an all black version.
02-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Unfortunately, cameras, like any material thing these days, are status symbols/fashion statements. They go through fads and trends just like clothes do. Right now the camera fad is retro, and Fuji (and Olympus next week) are going to try and ride it to the bank.

Leica has made a luxury business out of it's "look" (rangefinder technology is really quite outdated, see X-Pro), and at one time even Canon's looked like Leicas..
I've owned silver cameras in the distant past - back when that was the color of SLRs and Rangefinders. I understand that there's a fashion component to this process and applaud Pentax for seizing that area with the K-x and K-r colors which brought them a lot of attention for a really great camera (K-x). But recall that you could get all black versions of those cameras too.........
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's not nearly as important as the other glaring omissions, like a viewfinder, but I have to admit, the camera isn't ugly the way you present it. Or, at least not nearly as ugly.

Amazing what such a small change can do for a "design."
02-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've owned silver cameras in the distant past - back when that was the color of SLRs and Rangefinders. I understand that there's a fashion component to this process and applaud Pentax for seizing that area with the K-x and K-r colors which brought them a lot of attention for a really great camera (K-x). But recall that you could get all black versions of those cameras too.........
I assure you the all-black K-x was also the number one seller. For better or worse black is just the default color for any 'serious' camera these days (by 'serious' i mean it does RAW). Note the Fuji X-Pro only comes in black and the X100 now comes in both.

This from a Limited Silver K-5 owner who recognizes the advantages of not having a 'serious' looking camera on the streets of NYC.
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I assure you the all-black K-x was also the number one seller. For better or worse black is just the default color for any 'serious' camera these days (by 'serious' i mean it does RAW). Note the Fuji X-Pro only comes in black and the X100 now comes in both.

This from a Limited Silver K-5 owner who recognizes the advantages of not having a 'serious' looking camera on the streets of NYC.
No argument here, just pointing out that the colors did draw attention to a super design and helped put Pentax, albeit briefly, back on the map.
02-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

This all could have been avoided by simply releasing an all-black version. Makes all the difference in the world:
I agree.

However, I proposed a slightly different color variation: the black version, but with the bottom shell and upper shell and all upper shell elements all silver. IMHO, this would look as serious and slightly more interesting / retro, a bit like the K-5 Silver.